Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Leigh
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
How to find a Mentor? Out of state Multifamily Properties (Los Angeles)

Jesse Leigh
Pro Member
  • Investor
Posted Feb 29 2024, 14:59

Hi, I'm based in Los Angeles, but looking to invest in out of state multifamily properties. Specifically in Indianapolis.

How does one find a mentor? I'm looking to buy ASAP, but need someone to go to when it comes to analyzing a deal, and taking my next step.

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#2 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Feb 29 2024, 15:02

I recommend interviewing investor friendly real estate agents who invest themselves. That way it becomes a win-win. You get mentored by an investor and they make commissions off of the deals you buy. 

I've helped multiple clients here in LA and that is the relationship we have.

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Perry
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Feb 29 2024, 19:24

Hi Jesse.

I'm an investor in Indianapolis but started as an out of state investor (Oregon) about 5 years ago before we relocated here. I'm also a licensed agent with personal experience in the multi-family space so I'd be glad to connect and see how I may be able to assist you in getting started with your investments in Indy.

Lauren

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek#3 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
Travis Biziorek#3 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied Feb 29 2024, 21:06

Hey Jesse, I don't know much about the Indy market but if you want to compare notes on anything I'm also in CA and invest out of state. My market is Detroit and I've built a 12-door portfolio there.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
#1 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
#1 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Mar 1 2024, 07:23

We 2nd @Travis Biziorek suggestion to consider Detroit!

PM us for more info:)

User Stats

Votes
Simon Ashbaugh
  • Realtor
Votes |
  • Realtor
Replied Mar 1 2024, 07:49

Hi Jesse, I suggest that you try to attend your local REI networking groups and meetups. Connect with as many real estate investors as you can. You can also consult with lenders, brokers and ask them for suggestions on who might be a good real estate mentor and most will be able to provide one. Consider how you can add value to the mentor-mentee relationship by leveraging your strengths. Keep in mind though that building your network takes time and consistency. Be real in your interactions, share your goals and don't be shy about giving back. Relationships are a two-way street, and the more you invest in others, the more likely you'll get valuable insights and support in return. Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Nick Giulioni
Pro Member
  • Carmel, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Carmel, IN
Replied Mar 3 2024, 04:31

Hey - I think you are taking all the right steps. Feel free to reach out and I'd love to help and point you in the right direction!