Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes

Crystal Beach, TX vs. Galveston, TX

Posted Oct 18 2020, 12:35

Hello Everyone. This is my first post. I am considering building or purchasing a STR home in Crystal Beach or Galveston. Who can I discuss pros and cons with? Property tax rate, HOA fees, Insurance fees, ferry, etc. I have a friend who has recently built two very nice beach side homes in Crystal Beach and seems to be doing well, almost difficult to believe, but he is now building a third. Crystal Beach is okay for me, but my wife prefers Galveston where it's more diverse and less controversial, political flags everywhere. I am interested in your feedback.

ROBERT

User Stats

Votes
Bruce C.
  • Seabrook/Galveston
Votes |
  • Seabrook/Galveston
Replied May 10 2021, 08:50

You still looking for info?  

We prefer Galveston and own 2 STRS and one long term duplex. We also just bought a lot on Bolivar from the sheriff sale. 

I think Galveston has more upside. You’ll probably do fine no matter where you buy during the summer, but you’re going to have a lot more trouble filling the vacancies during the off season on Bolivar since it isn’t close to much and it’s a long trip to take the ferry over if you are on a work trip in Galveston or Texas city. 

I do think it is worth getting property now on Bolivar if you plan on holding a while. Prices just went nuts everywhere, and getting a house near the sand just moved out of a lot peoples price range on Galveston. I think long term that will push more proper to Bolivar and Freeport sides of the island

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 10 2021, 08:53

Thanks for the information. I ended up purchasing a lot in Jamaica Beach and the build should be complete by this November.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce C.
  • Seabrook/Galveston
Votes |
  • Seabrook/Galveston
Replied May 10 2021, 11:51
Originally posted by @Robert Douglas Lyons III:

Thanks for the information. I ended up purchasing a lot in Jamaica Beach and the build should be complete by this November.

Nice!  Roughly how much /sqft did the builder charge?

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 10 2021, 12:18

I’m sorry Bruce but I’m in a gag order pertaining price per square foot. The builder is my friend from Kindergarden.  I will tell you it wasn’t in the current Galveston price range per square foot though.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Reynolds
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Replied May 11 2021, 06:32
Originally posted by @Bruce C.:

You still looking for info?  

We prefer Galveston and own 2 STRS and one long term duplex. We also just bought a lot on Bolivar from the sheriff sale. 

I think Galveston has more upside. You’ll probably do fine no matter where you buy during the summer, but you’re going to have a lot more trouble filling the vacancies during the off season on Bolivar since it isn’t close to much and it’s a long trip to take the ferry over if you are on a work trip in Galveston or Texas city. 

I do think it is worth getting property now on Bolivar if you plan on holding a while. Prices just went nuts everywhere, and getting a house near the sand just moved out of a lot peoples price range on Galveston. I think long term that will push more proper to Bolivar and Freeport sides of the island

That's the truth. People are trying to hit me up for mine and it's not even for sale right now. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Reynolds
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Replied May 11 2021, 06:33
Originally posted by @Robert Douglas Lyons III:

You should do great there. And just in time for Dickens on the Strand. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 11 2021, 06:41

Thanks Mike!  I sure hope so!

User Stats

Votes
Jerry Bankhead
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Temple, Tx
Votes |
  • Temple, Tx
Replied Sep 27 2021, 16:05

Following..   Wanting to purchase on Bolivar Peninsula myself   Looking for a beach home for personal use and AirBNB

User Stats

Votes
Luis Chug
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Nov 21 2021, 18:17

@Mike Reynolds Thanks for the info. I will like to connect. Looking at an STR in Galveston as well. Any RE agent investor friendly recommendation? Any luck in Pirates beach?

User Stats

Votes
Mike Reynolds
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Replied Nov 23 2021, 03:53
Originally posted by @Luis Chug:

@Mike Reynolds Thanks for the info. I will like to connect. Looking at an STR in Galveston as well. Any RE agent investor friendly recommendation? Any luck in Pirates beach?

I do have an agent I can recommend. 

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Dominy
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Sep 18 2022, 16:56
Quote from @Robert Douglas Lyons III:

I’m sorry Bruce but I’m in a gag order pertaining price per square foot. The builder is my friend from Kindergarden.  I will tell you it wasn’t in the current Galveston price range per square foot though.

Hey Robert, if the build went well mind connecting me with the builder?