Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback
Account Closed
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • York, UK
Votes |
You know you're a Female Investor when...

Account Closed
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • York, UK
Posted Jan 25 2016, 08:51

I loved the "you know you're an investor when" post from @Brandon Turner and I think it's time to revive it for the women of BP.  A recent podcast talked about how hard it was for them to get female interviewees - which I find so hard to believe given the number of BP women out there doing great things - except that we tend to under-promote and under-value our accomplishments.  So here's my encouragement to SPEAK UP BP WOMEN you are awesome!

You know you're a female investor when...

You're on the job site of your $100k+ rehab and the first question most workers ask you is "are you married?"

The appliance guy can't stop saying "sweetie" and "hon" to you when scheduling the delivery time.

Account Closed
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • York, UK
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • York, UK
Replied Jan 25 2016, 08:54

Tag your female investor friends to get this trending. @Theresa W. @Kelly Sennholz @Mindy Jensen @Jean Bolger @Jeanne Batza @Sondra Mckibben @Dorothy Ma

User Stats

Votes
Jeanne Batza
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Durango, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Durango, CO
Replied Jan 25 2016, 09:10

And, here's another one that drives me to rev the power drill: I set up an appointment with a contractor, explain the project, use my personal email address -- and he replies to my husband's email address and all conversations are directed to my husband -- why?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Rick Mays
  • Mount Vernon, IL
Votes |
  • Mount Vernon, IL
Replied Jan 25 2016, 09:28

well uh sweetie, hon, ha ha. Its a strange planet...just kidding. Im a guy and i always thought i had to look the part. Drive a bentley etc. Nothing could be farther from the truth.i say put them in their place gently and carry a big stick lol.we all face the difficulties of being taken seriously. Truth is alot of investors are fakers.i got that from a podcast with joe mccall a nd nathan jurwicz. just know its a hurdle and keep going til you overcome it.you will probly get more respect by just staying a real person and being straight with everyone.those that are chauvinist just ignore them. The real fun comes when you can show them what you can do.keep your head up and just understand some guys are jerks. Some girls too. Just part of it. Go crush it ladies. Ill be your cheer section lol. Us guys would never make it without you ladies. Thats a fact.

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Longmont, CO
ModeratorReplied Jan 25 2016, 10:11

"Is your husband around? I could just tell him."

And this one drives me up a wall, and I know they are just trying to be helpful, but I can totally swing that 25-lb bag of grout. I really don't need help with it. It's not that heavy...

And tagging @Linda Weygant and I'm sure @Karen Margrave could add a story or two.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa W.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Golden, CO
Votes |
  • Golden, CO
Replied Jan 25 2016, 14:55

Go to sweat some pipes... "Don't you have anybody else with you?"  Uhhh, no. Should I?

User Stats

Votes
Sondra Mckibben
  • Investor
  • Beavercreek, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Beavercreek, OH
Replied Jan 31 2016, 09:23

@Account Closed Thanks for the tag, I Love being a woman investor and so very Proud of everything that I am accomplishing.  Going from a military wife and mom of 8 children who are all grown and moved on, had to find a new Hobby!!!!  Im starting on my 5th rehab in 6 months now, all my contractors that work for me are Great, we all respect one another and we all give input on each project to make the best decision for each flip!!!  I am a wholesaler as well and find great properties for other buy and hold investors!!!  Micki is one of the best investors out there!!!!

User Stats

Votes
Kelly Arthur
  • Scotch Plains, NJ
Votes |
  • Scotch Plains, NJ
Replied Feb 4 2016, 10:59

I recently went to a local REIA meeting and mentioned to another investor (male-who happened to be a retired architect) that my husband (who is not an investor) is an architect. He sends me an email the next asking for my husband's contact info. REALLY DUDE?!?!?!

User Stats

Votes
Marci Stein
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Feb 4 2016, 11:04

Here's one-How about when dealing with numbers in real estate -

someone said to me "you sound like a man"---yes it really happened!

and it was a woman who said it!

Account Closed
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • York, UK
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • York, UK
Replied Feb 4 2016, 11:10

@Marci Stein OMG that's gotta to be the winner so far. That is frightening.

User Stats

Votes
Nicole A.
Pro Member
  • Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida
ModeratorReplied Feb 4 2016, 11:13

One of my handyman guys never lets me pick up anything heavier than a piece of paper. He practically loses his mind if I even carry a paint can. He says it's how he was raised, but I still find it a bit annoying.

The standard, "where's your husband?" questions...

And sometimes, I drive a large, diesel, manual transmission, Dodge Ram with a loud exhaust brake. It's obviously great for picking up larger items from Home Depot. I always get comments from guys about how they never seen such a small lady handle such a big truck. Yeah, pal, and I drive it better than you ever could. ;-)

Account Closed
  • Bellingham, WA
Votes |
  • Bellingham, WA
Replied Feb 4 2016, 13:36

A prospective structural engineer only makes eye contact and talks to my hubby, then asks for HIS email -I I just had to gently remind him I would be signing the checks ! Needless to say, he didn't get the job as I can't work with someone who won't talk to me . Same with my real estate lawyer - the check reminder worked here though.

Best one yet - prospective contractor for demo and rebuild (age 32), asked me (50) if I was doing this as a hobby ( total cost including purchase initially $1.5 million. ) Err no ... and he didn't get hired!

On the bright side I love  my subs and GC and we joke and sexually harass each other mercilessly - now these guys I hire every time as we have an equal and respectful relationship of don't give a d**n.

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Sutherlin
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Spring Hill, FL
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Spring Hill, FL
Replied Feb 4 2016, 15:34

After I moved in a renter I left him saying if he needed anything text me. A few hours later he texted asking for a date. True story.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Feb 4 2016, 16:05
Originally posted by @Amanda Sutherlin:

After I moved in a renter I left him saying if he needed anything text me. A few hours later he texted asking for a date. True story.

And..................................................  

User Stats

Votes
Elizabeth Colegrove
  • Hanford, CA
Votes |
  • Hanford, CA
Replied Feb 4 2016, 16:11

Disclaimer: I am married but I do all the management, organization, etc. SOMETIMES the husbands graces the houses with his labor more often than nought if its a rental the handy man fixes it ;)

Here are my favorites in the last week

From our friends: Hey can we come over and discuss what you put in the leases with the hubs. - Which is hilarious because I do all the lease writing/work. The husband always sends them to me but it always makes me laugh when even our dearest friends, go to the hubs first for help in regards to rentals

(at bank) Asks question, and I provide an in-depth answer with all the ins and the outs on why she can't buy a house with only her name on the loan and put her husband on the title. All with the work arounds. Jaw drops and I get, WOW your knowledgabe!

and I could go on. Its just like no one can believe that I as a "mere" girl of 28 year old could possibly own 8 rentals. They REALLY can't believe it when they hear my husbands military. Than its like well you must have done something un copiable.

Incredulous :) Oh well! That's why I love this site. Still make me giggle that almost everyone goes to my husband as being the expert lol

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Sutherlin
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Spring Hill, FL
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Spring Hill, FL
Replied Feb 4 2016, 16:18
Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:
Originally posted by @Amanda Sutherlin:

And..................................................  

I politely declined :)

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Feb 4 2016, 17:19

My husband was deployed.  He and a bunch of guys were sitting around in a tent in the desert, waiting for the coaster bus to take them to work.  One guy says, "Man, my wife is going to break the bank!  She just spend $1000 on some flashy jewelry."  The next guy says, "That's nothing...my wife just bought a new couch, and she dropped $1500.  Ouch!"  My husband grins.  They say, "Well...? What's your story?"  

"Well," he says,"I've got you all beat.  My wife just spent $200,000 on three rental houses!"  They gasp.  "At least I will be getting my money back!"  

Yeah, he supports me with my...discount purchases.  :D

User Stats

Votes
Nikki Grizzle
  • Wake Forest, NC
Votes |
  • Wake Forest, NC
Replied Feb 5 2016, 11:30

My husband is the sit back and let the woman handle it type of guy. When it comes to researching, meeting with people, crunching numbers, etc. that is all me. When it comes to supplying the funds or finding funds, its all him. We are like that in our every day life. He has never met with anyone whether it be the cable guy, floor installation people or even the plumber. I always get a weird look when they see my husband emerge from his office say hello and leave. Sometimes they ignore me and talk to him and he just smiles, shrugs and looks at me.

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
Pro Member
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Longmont, CO
ModeratorReplied Feb 5 2016, 12:36
Originally posted by @Nicole A.:

One of my handyman guys never lets me pick up anything heavier than a piece of paper. He practically loses his mind if I even carry a paint can. He says it's how he was raised, but I still find it a bit annoying.

The standard, "where's your husband?" questions...

And sometimes, I drive a large, diesel, manual transmission, Dodge Ram with a loud exhaust brake. It's obviously great for picking up larger items from Home Depot. I always get comments from guys about how they never seen such a small lady handle such a big truck. Yeah, pal, and I drive it better than you ever could. ;-)

There was a female race car driver in the 60s who had the best answer to the guys who asked her if she could do it. "I'm not CARRYING the car around the track!"

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Lee
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Gibsonia, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Gibsonia, PA
Replied Feb 8 2016, 06:08

lol this is great.

I'm the face and brain behind our REI.

but I learnt from the best, my Mom, a very respected businesswoman/entrepreneur.

she told me one day: its great to be a woman bc you don't have to answer to anything right away.

we have the "I have to ask my husband" card.

I love how it drives my contractors/tenants crazy. but they shouldn't be pulling the wool over my eyes.

also, my husband, is my bad cop. when talking to tenants/contractor/buyer/seller, I say: "my partner/husband didn't like.... is upset..." and I play the good cop. "I totally understand, help me make your case when I talk to my partner/husband..."

(and I always get the inside scoop)

"help me, I can't go back to my husband with that....can you do better..."

meanwhile husband is clueless, and wonders why all my vendors are scared of him... he likes the sense of power lol

User Stats

Votes
Dawn Anastasi
Pro Member
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Feb 8 2016, 06:36

Sometimes when I tell people I'm in real estate, they're amazed.  It's like I just told them I'm an astronaut.

User Stats

Votes
Kimberly H.
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago Suburbs, IL
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago Suburbs, IL
Replied Jun 9 2016, 10:13

Two managers, my husband and I, are listed in the public record. My name is listed first. My name comes first alphabetically. I do 95% of the work. All the mail we get...addressed to my husband.

My husband and I are talking to a fellow RE investor last night. This RE investor is of hispanic descent. I tell him how I had huge problems dealing two hispanic contractors recommended to me by the REIA we are in, he said there can be a "machismo" issue, recommended my husband come to the jobsite to give the directions and tell them that I will be there to manage it. My husband works a full time job. I am 6' in heels and will wear heeled boots when meeting with these guys to no avail. I was happy to have someone finally acknowledge what I was dealing with, and frustrated at the only solution presented.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Jun 9 2016, 13:22

@Kimberly H. that reminds me of the advice I have heard that women should bring a man with when they are buying a car. One school of thought is that bringing a man is an easy solution. He may be a useless figurehead, but if it gets your goal accomplished, sometimes that is all that matters. The reality is that women are less intimidating and some men feel they have the upper hand. It can be made worse by culture of the person you are dealing with. Sadly in most of the world, women are treated horrible. 

I see three different options:

- Some women use their charm to "sweet talk" men. That may not be your style and that is fine, but I have seen successful women use their charm to their advantage (nothing improper - just so nobody reads anything into my suggestion). There are ways to get action without being a hard-***. Get more bees with honey, etc.

- You may need to have a confrontation with them to show them who is in charge. Usually after they see you will not be pushed around, you will have their respect. I like that you wear healed boots because height will make you more intimidating. Language and tone of your voice help too. If they interrupt you, tell them never to interrupt you. Show them that you don't take crap. 

- Choose someone else to work with. 

Joe

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.