People are fleeing California, are you?

311 Replies

Do you live in California?  Yes
• Have you lived in California in the past 5 years?
• If so, where? San Diego
• Will you be staying or leaving?  I’m staying.
• Why? It’s my home. The weather is perfect. There are always things to do. Something is going on every day of the week.
• What is your full time income producing job?  150-200k

This is a very interesting question. One that I have been asking myself.

• Do you live in California? Yes
  • Have you lived in California in the past 5 years? Yes, pretty much half my life.
  • If so, where? I have lived exclusively in San Jose; the heart of Silicon Valley.
  • Will you be staying or leaving? I would like to say that I'll be leaving. Just don't know when.
  • Why? Us millennial's have been priced out of this market. In order to build wealth through real estate we would have to invest out of state.
  • What is your full time income producing job? I am a Small Business loan consultant in the microfinance industry.
  • Originally posted by @Joanne Tsai :

My observation is that many CA natives can't picture themselves living anywhere else other than CA.

There is an element of that with a lot of people that live in desirable cities....but no where in the US is that stronger than NYC.

• Have you lived in California in the past 5 years? Nope, only 4 years!
  • Will you be staying or leaving? Leaving
  • Why? Want to buy 1st rental property in cheaper location; too expensive
  • What is your full time income producing job? Military (getting out in 2 months)
  • Added to this California migration issue, is anyone concerned about the bill that was introduced to split the state of California into 3 states, the politicians will be the only ones to benefit?

• Do you live in California? Yes
    • Have you lived in California in the past 5 years? Yes
    • If so, where? Riverside
    • Will you be staying or leaving? Staying
    • Why? I love California
    • What is your full time income producing job?  Project Manager

I lived in California from birth until i joined the marine corps when i was 18. I just got out and i had to choose between east and west coast. I love the weather and do miss it tremendously but we can do so much more with the same amount in North Carolina. Eventually, we will probably move back. There is so many things i like about SOCAL but it's not worth moving back for the time being in my personal circumstance. If it makes financial sense then by all means the weather is great and it's lots of fun. For others more or different opportunities and lower costs of livings is what is driving people inland's or to the south east.

Born in Ohio, lived Mukilteo (Seattle) right before moving to Bakersfield, around 1995. California has fantastic weather, mountains, lakes, etc. In Seattle I was paying $925 mo for a class A 2 bed 2 bath on a golf course, which I split with another guy. California a class B minus studio was $1500. Seemed like half my neibors got a government check for something. Got my first check after about 6 weeks, the checks were once per month, taxes took half, gas cost was double. Called my boss and said sorry it cost to much to live here, your not even getting 2 weeks notice. Cashed that check and headed east, that day. Fyi, i have now lived in Houston, Tx since 2006. Also fyi, Texas and Washington have no state, local, county, city, or school taxes out of your check. my 1740 sq ft 3 bed , 2 double granite sink baths , 2 car garage brick single family house cost $93k in 2009 with $517 mo payments on a 15 year mortgage

I live in CA and plan to stay. Most of what people say I agree with.
    My concern is retirement
    A lot of my friends have nothing left each month after paying the high prices for everything
    I thought I could get over the hump with investing but it takes a lot of time and a lot of cash flow to ever live and pay for a little cal house.
    Maybe I am doing something wrong but I am afraid I might be forced to move in a few years when I get to retirement age and won’t have the income to survive

‘Forced to move’ indeed! I too was forced to move ;<)  I retired took my equity from rentals and primary. Doctor Axel I know you know how far Ca dollars go in the rest of the country; don’t sweat it!

I was born have lived in the Bay Area all my life except for stint in the Navy. I would love to relocate to GA

for my retirement years. It's a just a beautiful area as is the East Coast. Something different we don't have 

in CA. Yet, I won't be selling my home, who gives up a Golden Goose!!! With all the new tech workers renting

the home is a cash cow!!! Using 6% appreciation a $700,000 home will be valued at $4 million in 30 yr's!!! 

Sure, I won't around but my children will be able to benefit!!! 

If you are a CA home owner you can have the best of all worlds by keeping the property and living anywhere in 

the world you chose too live and STILL benefit from CA's wealth!!! A no brainer!!! Not a property owner ... figure

out how to become one even if that means partnering with others to buy that first home!!! Land is very scare in the Bay Area, buy something or look to relocate out of state. 

• Do you live in California? Yes, So Cal
    • Have you lived in California in the past 5 years? Yes
    • Will you be staying or leaving? Staying
    • Why? Been here all my life, even though all of the liberals live here...it's still a great place to call home.
    • What is your full time income producing job? Engineer for an Aerospace Company

Hey BP Community, 

I was born in NJ but raised in South Florida. I've spent the last decade plus in Northern California and I'm certainly fleeing. I recently purchased a home in NC (W Asheville) and I have few small MF deals under contract in the same area. California is great, WE LOVE IT here! However, the taxes, regulations on small business and overall cost of living made our decision a bit easier to move back towards the East. I don't know if we'll be in AVL long term, but i hope we can build roots and grow a RE portfolio in this area of the country. I don't like the politics in NC, but i certainly will appreciate the lower cost of operating a business and reduced taxes!

I left the Bay Area two years ago to move home to Michigan. I was there for five years and lived in downtown SF and then in Cupertino. I could never adjust to the crowds, the traffic, and the general feeling like it just wasn't "home." I hated that a simple errand to Target or the grocery store could take almost half my day, between fighting traffic, finding parking, and dodging all the crowds of people. I would come home exhausted, just from a simple errand! I also really disliked the weather in SF and the overall dirtiness and grittiness of the city. That's why I left SF 2.5 years in and moved down the peninsula to Cupertino, in search of sunshine, warmer temps, and some green grass! 

I am so happy I made the decision to leave the Bay Area. My life is so much calmer and less chaotic here in Michigan. I love that I can get anywhere I need to go in 15 minutes or less. Yes, we have some brutal winters but we also have some of the most gorgeous summers and beaches in the country! And, not to mention the "Midwest nice" that you just don't get in the Bay Area. I remember living in Cupertino and going out for a walk, and not ONE PERSON would even make eye contact and say hello. Here, that's commonplace...to say hello and smile to someone that passes you by!

I am so fortunate that I was able to keep my job in Palo Alto, and work remotely here from Michigan. I travel back a few times a year. It's a great setup and I'm very thankful. Overall, I'm grateful for my time in the Bay Area because it gave me perspective on what I really want and the lifestyle that is best suited to me. And the Bay Area is NOT it!

Great topic and fun to see responses. Kind of shocked at the number of people willing to stay; good for me I suppose. If you’re net sheet looks fine staying in CA, go for it. I personally couldn’t imagine forfeiting so much to taxes or any other built in regulatory measure in the state. It has far surpassed its reach. As mentioned, if you didn’t purchase properties years ago and have a pile of sitting equity or are being paid ridiculous amounts of money in the tech industry, it’s very tough. We left for more opportunities with less risk. Every generation has its “gold rush” where no one believes that anything could ever go wrong and appreciation just keeps going up and up! I have no magic 8 balls but 2019 isn’t looking so hot for CA on many levels.

• Have you lived in California in the past 5 years? Yes, my whole life
    • If so, where? San Jose, Bay Area 
    • Will you be staying or leaving? LEAVING  in 4-5 years. 
    • Why? Too many people, terrible traffic, high taxes, high cost of living (utilities, gas, vehicle registration, ect) jobs pay well but extremely high stress, and I don’t agree with a lot of the politics, including the way the state government goes about solving problems. My wife and I will be leaving in the next 5 years. When we do, we will have enough capital to reach our freedom number. We have been traveling to a variety of different states and found places with similar climates to CA. I look forward to a slower pace of life and more down to earth people.  
    • What is your full time income producing job? Electrician 
    Before fill out this poll, I should point out that although there is a number of people planning on moving out of state (probably), there are more (a lot more) coming into the state, especially the bay area.  This influx is being driven by the expansion of the tech companies and the creation of hundreds of new tech-related jobs (my wife works for a major tech company in the bay area so I've got the inside scoop). 

• Yes, I live in CA
    • Yes, since 2010
    • all around the bay area
    • I will be staying
    • the job keeps me here (and my wife likewise)
    • teacher

@Bjorn Ahlblad @Dr. @Axel Meierhoefer ,

My brother has owned a home in West Sac for many years and I told him that he can just rent it, and live anywhere else! My parents also made most of their money selling their homes (moved out of CA to Washington St, then moved back to the Bay Area because we couldn't handle any more rainy days) I left Washington state and I'll never look back, I need the sunshine, but never thought I would mind it. Just make sure when you retire to double check the climate/weather/people. So many Californians who move to Seattle move back (and vice versa, Seattle people, move  from Bay Area (job related) back to Seattle to raise kids... it's like salmon!) I see it all the time.

One of the things I've come to enjoy in California are Korean Spa-Sauna facilities.  Guess what, there are very nice ones elsewhere, including two huge ones in Dallas (King Spa and Spa Castle).   

Many people I meet are apprehensive about the actions of the leftist politicians in California.  If they remove Proposition 13 protections for commercial real estate and impose rent control on all rentals, there will be massive job losses and traffic jams of people moving east.   Don't think it can happen?  Venezula was a much nicer place just a short time ago....   

Just came across this.

https://youtu.be/fA3t2RqkYVo

Talks about the staggering levels of homelessness, IV drug abuse, syringes and human waste being discarded on the streets. I have never seen something like this.

Is it true?

Originally posted by @Andrey Y. :

Just came across this.

https://youtu.be/fA3t2RqkYVo

Talks about the staggering levels of homelessness, IV drug abuse, syringes and human waste being discarded on the streets. I have never seen something like this.

Is it true?

The YouTube video has an element of truth to it. San Francisco, like many other areas of the country, has its challenges with poverty and the problems that come with it.

The city faced a major PR issue when Super Bowl 50 was held there in 2016 (with a world audience watching) and solved it by telling its homeless population to disappear during the event (which it did).

Super Bowl 50 Further Divides San Francisco

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/05/us/super-bowl-50-further-divides-san-francisco.html

Pensacola has its own homeless population to deal with (based on the local news stories), although much of it is behind the scenes and not out in public.

@Andrey Y. Sadly, yes it is true. However; the citizens are getting fed up and starting to put pressure on local city councils and boards of supervisors. I don't understand why the voters continue voting in the politicians that are putting the policies in place that cause all of that mess, but, for some reason they do.  I personally know of parks where they took playground equipment out to discourage kids from coming to the park as it was over run with drugs addicts shooting up heroin in the park. Where fences are being put around parks and families have to "reserve" the park. It's terrible. 

This is happening in every city in California, in the open, in the alleyways, in the canyons. There's people living in storm drains, along roadsides, everywhere. Plus CA will not prosecute anyone if they go into a store and take $950 or less of merchandise, stores can't even get a police response for that.  The problem is the progressive politicians, and the beautiful weather, draws people that are homeless to come to California. Many of the photos are from years past, it's even worse now. It seems unbelievable, but it isn't. Don't get me wrong, CA is my home state, and I love it. I HATE what is happening and it's time to for people to rise up and demand this stops, and the lawlessness is brought under control. 

Originally posted by @Karen Margrave :

@Andrey Y. Sadly, yes it is true. However; the citizens are getting fed up and starting to put pressure on local city councils and boards of supervisors. I don't understand why the voters continue voting in the politicians that are putting the policies in place that cause all of that mess, but, for some reason they do.  I personally know of parks where they took playground equipment out to discourage kids from coming to the park as it was over run with drugs addicts shooting up heroin in the park. Where fences are being put around parks and families have to "reserve" the park. It's terrible. 

This is unacceptable. If I was a physician (I am) or an entrepreneur living and working in Silicon Valley, and paying a 50%+ tax rate, I don't think I'd like to see homeless, syringes, human waste, and smell crack smoke on my way to work, the park, or the cafe. Someone had confirmed that this is going on as little as 2 blocks from Google headquarters. Huh!?