Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Bob B.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
What would you do with $100k if you had it today?

Bob B.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Posted May 21 2019, 08:55

I live in Portland Oregon, so thoughts on coastal/cyclical states are great, but also open to the BP greater mindset! This question isn't about me...

Say you're already moving along in RE related business in today's climate... making the right moves in whatever market you're in. If one day you looked and you had $100k liquid and tax free in your accounts your goal was financial independence and wealth generation... what would you do with it? Where would you put it and why? 

Would you put it into marketing? How much? Would you buy flips to keep growing the egg? Would you look for BRRRs? Single family? Multifamily? 

Where would you look? What would you look for? Why?

Where would you start steering the ship? How would you keep multiplying your $$$??

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied May 21 2019, 09:41

If I already had enough units I would start paying them off. 

Maybe also do some capex upgrades that will be needed eventually but not right away - like new windows.

If I didn't have enough rental income I would look for another acquisition or 2. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob B.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Replied May 21 2019, 11:18

Thanks, @Max T. for the thoughts!

You would steer the ship toward paying off your properties once they would generate the passive income you'd need to live freely once they're paid off, then? Do you mostly buy SFH or do you buy plex-es as well?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Chapman
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Pullman, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Pullman, WA
Replied May 21 2019, 20:57

If I had a successful business model that was working well I would continue to use it.  I might also consider branching out to another aspect.  For example, for many years I was a strictly buy and hold investor.  I then bought a rental that had enough land to develop a duplex behind it.  That was my first foray into development and have continued small developments over the last 10 years.  But there is a learning curve for each aspect of real estate so I would initially take a small step into whatever new aspect of real estate you choose.

User Stats

Votes
Rion Redinger
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Amboy, WA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Amboy, WA
Replied May 22 2019, 06:36

I like thought exercises like this. I hope more people will share their thoughts.

If I had 100k liquid.......... I would do one of two things ....... pay down existing properties to increase cash flow or venture into the next business model be that another form of real estate or some other business. 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sampson
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Replied May 22 2019, 06:46

I am pretty conservative/opportunistic. I am having a harder time finding good deals in my market and not yet willing to invest outside my own town. With that in mind, I would probably put put it on my personal residence. I would likely open a HELOC to be ready to jump on a deal.

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied May 22 2019, 06:56
Originally posted by @Bob B.:

Thanks, @Max T. for the thoughts!

You would steer the ship toward paying off your properties once they would generate the passive income you'd need to live freely once they're paid off, then? Do you mostly buy SFH or do you buy plex-es as well?

I've always gone for 4 plexes in my market but have never found a good deal on any. So I've ended up with a few duplexes and SFH.

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Johnson
  • Investor
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied May 22 2019, 11:02

@Bob B.

For me, I’d put it all to my mortgages. I don’t like debt, it doesn’t help me sleep at night to be leveraged. Plus it’s hard to calculate risk. Risk can literally bankrupt you.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Millard
  • Lewisville, TX
Votes |
  • Lewisville, TX
Replied May 22 2019, 17:19

Half in silver, half in my second business that’s crypto & technology related.

User Stats

Votes
Karen O.
  • NYC, NY
Votes |
  • NYC, NY
Replied May 23 2019, 16:18

Top off the emergency fund.

Pay down high interest debt.  

Find and fund the next investment property.

In that order.

User Stats

Votes
Bob B.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Replied May 23 2019, 22:02

@Karen O. I like the way you think!

User Stats