Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Namon Thorn
  • Hammond, LA
Votes |
Wholesaling Fire Damaged Houses

Namon Thorn
  • Hammond, LA
Posted Apr 23 2013, 15:52

Hello BP Fam,
I have a question for anyone one out there. Has anyone ever wholesaled fire damaged houses before? Is flipping these type of properties any different from a regular wholesale non-fire damaged house?

Thanks
Newbie Namon

User Stats

Votes
Stephen R.
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Nov 14 2013, 20:38

You can wholesale a fire damaged houses to me! I will buy them. :)

User Stats

Votes
Erik Hitzelberger
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Nov 14 2013, 20:46

I also like fire-damaged houses! To answer your question though, no - flipping the house is not really any different. It's just a bigger project.

Freedom Property Group Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Mazzrillo
  • Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Replied Nov 14 2013, 21:29

What Erik said; you just need to factor in more money for rehab. Sometimes, the trusses can be saved if they aren't burnt that bad. I've never rehabbed a fire damaged house, but have several asociates who have.

User Stats

Votes
William T.
  • Wholesaler
  • Saint Louis, MO
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Saint Louis, MO
Replied Nov 15 2013, 00:48
Originally posted by Aaron Mazzrillo:
What Erik said; you just need to factor in more money for rehab. Sometimes, the trusses can be saved if they aren't burnt that bad. I've never rehabbed a fire damaged house, but have several asociates who have.

Aaron, I have also thought about doing this also... Would you recommend starting out at a 50% or 60% - repairs for this property?

User Stats

Votes
Dyrol Harding
  • Structural Contractor
  • Coral Springs, FL
Votes |
  • Structural Contractor
  • Coral Springs, FL
Replied Nov 15 2013, 04:21

Norman,

A friend of mine rehabbed a fire dammaged 2 family property in Brooklyn NY years ago (may be 12 years ago). It was a great deal for him in a competitive market for the following reasons:

1) He had, at the time 15 years of construction experience,

2) The city was a week from flattening the building because it was a hazzard so many invesrtors probabely stayed clear of it thinkinking it was too far gone to rehab.

Long story short, he spent about $30K on the building (doing all the work himself and sold the building a couple months ago for about $800k. There are definate pros and cons in wholesaling of rehabbing fire burnt buildings.

Cons - You need to make very good assumptions with your pricing. Repair of structural members such as joists, rafters and studs. Components like electrical or plumbing piping may be partially damaged or may need to be completely destroyed. Since there was a fire there is definately water damage (to get the fire out). So if the fire was on an upper floor the water can seep down to lower floors and damage furnace, water heater etc. Fire damaged buildings also have very strong odors that need to be addresses. So if you are not budgeting for a gut rehab you may get burnt (no pun intended). This obviously depends on the severityand location of the fire etc.

Pros - Because of the cons listed above you will more than likely have less competition. If you cover yourself on the repairs there is a lot more room for you to create value as a rehabber and this translates to profits. My friend ended up renting his 2 appartments for years and cashflowed beautifully. With these properties, depending on the market, you have the option to purchase for less than the land value if you have to tear the house down to rebuild. In NYC it is advantageous to keep at least the facade of the building so it is considered a renovation and not a new building. New buildings get reassessed for higher taxes than a renovation/rehab.

Conclusion - Make sure you are covered on the construction cost. Take an experienced contractor, engineer or someone who can tell you how much needs to be replaced. Could be a great deal but could also be dangerous if you are not euipped to estimate the work or execute the repairs required. Good luck. Please let me know what you decide.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Foster
  • Investor
  • College Park, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • College Park, MD
Replied Jul 10 2014, 19:59

I've been a firefighter in DC and PG County (Md) for over a decade. I've been in numerous fires in my life. Insurance companies use firefighters to "bird dog" properties.  Fire damaged properties are easy money for insurace companies and I know guys up in baltimore who try to buy the fire damaged properties (Especially the ones that don't have the insurance and can't fix the damage). food for thought. 

Account Closed
  • Investor / Developer / GC
  • Manassas, VA
Votes |
  • Investor / Developer / GC
  • Manassas, VA
Replied Jul 11 2014, 06:03

We've done alot of insurance work on fire damaged homes/apartments/building. I would buy these properties any day of the week. Regarding costs:

Typically, the asset is not a complete loss. In these scenarios our costs can be similiar to rehab costs.

When the asset is a complete loss we can typically reuse the foundation and build new so, our costs are similiar to new construction less the foundation but add the demo. 

User Stats

Votes
Eric Robertson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Homosassa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Homosassa, FL
Replied Jul 12 2014, 07:38

Anyone actively buying fire damaged properties in North Florida?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Tucker
  • Investor
  • Bowie, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bowie, MD
Replied Apr 8 2016, 06:53

@Aaron Foster what are the best ways to find fire-damaged/damaged homes in the DMV? I'm interested in trying to develop leads but not clue where to start. 

User Stats

Votes
Asisa Berrios
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Mar 17 2017, 19:37

@Eric Robertson I am actively looking for fire damaged properties in Florida.  

User Stats

Votes
Jasmine Dixon
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 30 2017, 02:23

Anyone in Indianapolis Indiana interested in buying fire damaged properties? 

User Stats

Votes
Troy Fulks
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Mar 18 2020, 18:41

I have a fire damaged property available in GA. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!