Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Arshiya Taami
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
fix and flips still possible in southern california with todays market?

Arshiya Taami
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Feb 7 2024, 09:08

I am an Investor and do fix and flips. I was wondering if in todays market, are fix and flips still possible to do and will make you money in southern california?

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Replied Feb 7 2024, 10:07

@Arshiya Taami

There are still opportunities but they will be harder to find and at higher price points. There is a lot of competition in CA and while a great appreciation market gone are the gold rush days of the last 10 years so the strategy has to get more creative. That's why I bought in the Reno, NV / Tahoe area. It's relatively affordable, strong tech and industrial job growth, landlord friendly, low property taxes, and not state income tax.  It's all depends on your goals and how you can adapt your strategy. 

User Stats

Votes
Keith Mintz
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Feb 21 2024, 11:18
Quote from @Arshiya Taami:

I am an Investor and do fix and flips. I was wondering if in todays market, are fix and flips still possible to do and will make you money in southern california?

There’s definitely good deals still just harder to find, and get connected with the right people! I have a few I’m looking into at the moment. If you want I can send them your way too to take a look at.
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Arshiya Taami
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Feb 23 2024, 08:28
Quote from @Keith Mintz:

There’s definitely good deals still just harder to find, and get connected with the right people! I have a few I’m looking into at the moment. If you want I can send them your way too to take a look at.

that would be great! just send a message keith

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Rabinov
  • Investor
  • Madrid, Spain
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Madrid, Spain
Replied Feb 26 2024, 08:57

Did you find any new info on flipping in SoCal?

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Rabinov
  • Investor
  • Madrid, Spain
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Madrid, Spain
Replied Feb 26 2024, 09:00

Did you find any new info on flipping in SoCal?

User Stats

Votes
Corby Goade
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied Feb 26 2024, 09:03

I've been investing for 25 years and everyone who has reletively little experience always thinks you can't invest, flip, brrrr, whatever, in their market. The fact is, you can do any of those in ANY market. When home prices go up, so do ARVs and gross profits. There's never been a time in history where building equity through adding value wasn't possible, that's just stinkin' thinkin'.

That being said- processes and quality matter greatly and thats where most people lose their shorts, not on the actual deal. 

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Rabinov
  • Investor
  • Madrid, Spain
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Madrid, Spain
Replied Feb 26 2024, 09:10
Quote from @Corby Goade:

I've been investing for 25 years and everyone who has reletively little experience always thinks you can't invest, flip, brrrr, whatever, in their market. The fact is, you can do any of those in ANY market. When home prices go up, so do ARVs and gross profits. There's never been a time in history where building equity through adding value wasn't possible, that's just stinkin' thinkin'.

That being said- processes and quality matter greatly and thats where most people lose their shorts, not on the actual deal. 

Well you cant BRRRR at 7% interest rate in a market that pays 3% Cap Rate on rentals.

User Stats

Votes
Corby Goade
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied Feb 26 2024, 09:34
Quote from @Daniel Rabinov:
Quote from @Corby Goade:

Well you cant BRRRR at 7% interest rate in a market that pays 3% Cap Rate on rentals.

Sure you can. I just finished one at 7.785%. Besides, there are no cap rates on residential real estate- you refi based on comps, not NOI.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Rabinov
  • Investor
  • Madrid, Spain
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Madrid, Spain
Replied Feb 26 2024, 09:36
Quote from @Corby Goade:
Quote from @Corby Goade:

Sure you can. I just finished one at 7.785%. Besides, there are no cap rates on residential real estate- you refi based on comps, not NOI.

Of course you can refi, but you wont be able to do a full cash our with rent covering your mortgage so you can keep rolling the funds to next project.

User Stats

Votes
Corby Goade
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied Feb 26 2024, 09:41
Quote from @Corby Goade:
Quote from @Corby Goade:

Of course you can refi, but you wont be able to do a full cash our with rent covering your mortgage so you can keep rolling the funds to next project.

That's odd, because I could have pulled an extra $35K out over and above my out of pocket expenses. 

It's absolutely possible anywhere. If you don't think so, you are missing opportunites. 

User Stats

Votes
Jo-Ann Lapin
Pro Member
  • Loan Officer
  • Tustin, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Loan Officer
  • Tustin, CA
Replied Feb 28 2024, 08:14

Yes , for sure . Inventory is low . SoCal is getting a lot older and most 20 plus old homes need updates and perhaps a value add addition. As rates increase there will be more opportunity .

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Mar 6 2024, 08:46

Yes, still very possible to find flips and flip properties in SoCal. You need to be exact on your ARV and know your rehab costs... That will lead to what you need to buy it for since every market is different pricing for repairs always change.

• Real Estate Agent Ca (#01968986)

The McKernan Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Brian Koons
Pro Member
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Mar 10 2024, 13:24

They're definitely still possible. San Diego is a VERY competitive market, so most of the "deals" are found by someone thats not you. However, that just means theres strength in the relationships. Focusing on the network can be a very powerful strategy in this market.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 20 2024, 09:58

I have 3 properties in SD for sale.