General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Terry Erickson
Votes |
Turnkey Property near Austin, TX

Terry Erickson
Posted Feb 23 2024, 10:27

I have a house that we have had managed near Austin that we need to sell for personal reasons.  I am trying to determine the best path forward for our market.  I dont think the terms allow me to post a link but here are some basics.

Has been occupied avg of 17 days per month since Sept.

managed by a top tier company and has 4.8 star avg reviews.

Also would be a good family home (large private lot, fenced yard, hot tub).

It has the benefit of being near Austin downtown, but NOT in Austin city limits (9 miles to city center), so lower taxes and no STR rules (default to Travis County rules).

I have read the forum posts for similar situations, however every market is different. Trying to identify if better to list as Turnkey STR or empty it out (i have no use for the furniture and appliances).

Any thoughts specific top Austin market, and any proven Agents you can recommend in the area would be appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Gordy
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Feb 23 2024, 12:45

It depends upon the highest and best use, imo. If the highest value is as an str then that is how it should be marketed. It also depends upon land size and location too. Its value could be valued much higher than you realize. For example, we had a listing near tesla factory. It had a home and a mobile home on it. The seller thought that the best value would be a rental property. We determined that the best value would be as a demolish/scrape and sell it to a developer. The value increased by hundreds of thousands. A developer did buy it and is now planning on a meat market/gas station at that location. 

User Stats

Votes
Elle LoFrisco
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 25 2024, 11:43

Hey Terry,

I work with a lot of STR realtors in the Austin market if you still need a referral. PM'd you

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Mar 25 2024, 11:57

@Terry Erickson you should certainly rely on your realtor's advice here but a lot of people pay for staging. So, if you ALREADY have it staged...just keep the furniture in there. Then, depending on the buyer you can address what to do with it. When you list a property for sale you usually don't care who buys it - just give me top dollar. So, if they wanted to use it as a primary home, a STR, or just leave it empty forever...it doesn't matter. Show me the money! It's kind of hard to post agent's that aren't on Bigger Pockets - they won't allow you to share phone numbers or emails - so reach out to @Robert Finn and see if he can help out with listing the property.  Good luck!

Guaranteed Rate Logo