Votes
Carl Stigall
  • St. Joseph, MI
Votes |
Student loans in collection

Carl Stigall
  • St. Joseph, MI
Posted Apr 27 2017, 10:59
Hey BP, I'm currently in a situation where I'm too much of a liability for any type of loan or mortgage. My student loans are in collections and I'm currently in a rehabilitation program to get my loans out of default, but in the mean time I have no way to aquire any properties unless I pay all cash. Does anyone have any advice in this situation other than "wait it out." I talked to a loan officer yesterday and he said there is no way that I can get approved for any mortgage with student loans in collections, is this true?

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Fulenwider
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Greeley, CO
Votes |
  • Greeley, CO
Replied Apr 29 2017, 06:47

Have you talked to a hard money lender?  Can you borrow the funds from a friend or relative?

User Stats

Votes
Amy Beth
  • Edison, NJ
Votes |
  • Edison, NJ
Replied Apr 29 2017, 08:58

This is probably not what you want to hear but if you have not been able to afford even the minimum on your student loan payments you are not in a financial situation to buy real estate.

It may be more useful to either increase your income, create a monthly budget that allows u to pay all of your bills and increase your savings, and/or sell any cars with loan payments and buy a beater car. If you are able to follow some of these suggestions you will be in a better financial position to afford real estate.

If you can't afford the minimum payments on your current loans you are setting yourself up for disaster taking on additional risks:

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
David Dachtera
  • Rockford, IL
Votes |
  • Rockford, IL
Replied Apr 29 2017, 09:59

@Carl Stigall,

Learn how to attract and engage private lenders. They only look at the deal, not your credit. Also, explore credit partners who can help you put deals together.

Never use your own money or credit, unless you're only doing REI as a hobby and not a business.

User Stats

Votes
Natalie Kolodij
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Charlotte, NC
ModeratorReplied Apr 29 2017, 12:28

I would also advise that you're in a position to handle additional debt and or hard money loans related to real estate. 

I'm not sure the situation regarding how the loans went into default - it's just easy to ruin your reputation with hard money lenders if you default on them or have a deal go south. Just make sure you're prepared and educated before signing on the dotted line.