User Stats

Votes
May T.
Votes |
looking for reliable property management company

May T.
Posted Feb 16 2022, 16:25

Hello,  

We are closing our investment home in Columbus Ohio (Gahanna area), and we are looking for reliable property managers? Any recommendations?  

Thank you so much.  

User Stats

Votes
Sonia N.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Feb 17 2022, 04:22

I just purchased a sfr in Columbus as well and so far, I’ve had a great experience with Donny Thompson + team from Era. Check with them to see if they cover your area. 

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Feb 17 2022, 04:55

In our experience, the #1 mistake owners make when selecting a Property Management Company (PMC) is ASSUMING instead of CONFIRMING.

It's often a case of not doing enough research, as they don't know what they don't know!

Owners mistakenly ASSUME all PMCs offer the exact SAME SERVICES and PERFORM those services EXACTLY THE SAME WAY, so price is the only differentiator.

So, the first question they usually ask a PMC is about fees - instead of asking about services and HOW those services are executed.

EXAMPLE: PMC states they will handle tenant screening – what does that specifically mean? What documents do they require, what credit scores do they allow, how do they verify previous rental history, etc.? You’d be shocked by how little actual screening many PMC’s do!

This also leads owners to ASSUME simpler is better when it comes to management contracts.

The reality is the opposite - if it's not in writing then the PMC doesn't have to provide the service or can charge extra for it!

We don’t know any PMCs to recommend in the Columbus area mentioned, but since selecting the wrong PMC is usually more harmful than selecting a bad tenant, you might want to read our series about “How to Screen a PMC Better than a Tenant”:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/3094/91877-how-to-screen-a-pmc-better-than-a-tenant-part-1-services-and-processes

We recommend you get management contracts from several PMCs and compare the services they cover and, more importantly, what they each DO NOT cover.

EDUCATE YOURSELF - yes, it will take time, but will lead to a selection that better meets your expectations & avoids potentially costly surprises!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Marc Rice
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 17 2022, 07:05
Quote from @May T.:

Hello,  

We are closing our investment home in Columbus Ohio (Gahanna area), and we are looking for reliable property managers? Any recommendations?  

Thank you so much.  

I have a few good ones I can send over

User Stats

Votes
Alex Talcott
  • Attorney
  • Durham, NH
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Durham, NH
Replied Feb 17 2022, 07:07
Quote from @Sonia N.:

I just purchased a sfr in Columbus as well and so far, I’ve had a great experience with Donny Thompson + team from Era. Check with them to see if they cover your area. 

Thank you for the recommendation, Sonia, from a fellow New Englander active in the Midwest.

Are you heading out to Vegas for the Century21 celebration next month?

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 17 2022, 08:18
Quote from @May T.:

Hello,  

Thank you so much.  

I would reach out to @Kyle Tom. He manages all of my properties in Columbus, Ohio

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
May T.
Votes |
Replied Feb 17 2022, 12:18
Quote from @Sonia N.:

thank you so much. I will look into Donny Thompson. 

User Stats

Votes
May T.
Votes |
Replied Feb 17 2022, 12:18
Quote from @Remington Lyman:
Quote from @May T.:

Hello,  

Thank you so much.  

I would reach out to @Kyle Tom. He manages all of my properties in Columbus, Ohio

Thank you so much. I will reach out to Kyle Tom. 

User Stats

Votes
Clay Boykin
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 18 2022, 05:54

@May T. I would recommend Beacon Property Management. Yes they take a cut, but they take care of everything and establish reasonable expectations.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Goldsmith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 18 2022, 09:57

I second @Kyle Tom for Columbus PM @May T.