Votes
Sam T.
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Property Manager pay.

Sam T.
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Sep 19 2017, 16:47
I am in the process of hiring someone to handle my day to day workings of managing my rentals. This would involve taking all tenant calls, meeting prospective tenants, handling inspections, coordinating repairs, move ins and move outs etc.. Their job would be to manage 40 units for me. I am having a hard time figuring out what would be the best way to pay this person. Anyone try this before and what was your experience. I don't want to go the property management route as I have heard some horror stories.

User Stats

Votes
Ray Harrell
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Sep 19 2017, 17:18

THAT, my friend, is a property manager! If you have 40 units, why can't you quit your job and manage your own properties full time? Get a good handyman that is reliable and take your own calls.

User Stats

Votes
Tracy Streich
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tulsa- OKC Oklahoma
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tulsa- OKC Oklahoma
Replied Sep 19 2017, 19:16

The question is how much time do you have time to manage and train an employee? How much is your time worth vs hiring someone who already knows what they are doing? Just something to think about

Renters Place Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Sam T.
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Sep 23 2017, 19:09

The person I had in mind is my handyman and I have been using him for the last 7-8 years. The reason I don't want a property management company is because it will cost me more in the end. Since I have been working with this individual already, he understands what I want and what I expect. My other issue is my units are spread over 20 properties and a couple of management companies I talked to weren't interested because of that.

User Stats

Votes
Keith Weigand
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cleveland, TN
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cleveland, TN
Replied Sep 24 2017, 08:00

Keep your handy man, get a good software to assist you in all the tasks and manage them yourself if you have the time. I've never heard of a professionally property manager who wouldn't take your portfolio just because it's spread across multiple properties. Sounds like a small PM company.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wisniewski
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Fargo, ND
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Fargo, ND
Replied May 31 2018, 18:42

@Sam T. how did this turn out for you? I'm considering paying my property manager a percentage of gross revenue and percentage of NOI to keep interests aligned.