Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Joanne Tsai
  • Investor
  • Millburn, NJ
Votes |
What do I do with this tenant in Oakland CA ? Lawsuit alert!

Joanne Tsai
  • Investor
  • Millburn, NJ
Posted Jul 11 2018, 07:14

Hi All, 

My husband has a rental property in Oakland CA, where tenants are heavily protected by law. 

We recently hired a real estate agent to find a tenant. A lease contract was signed by both tenant and my husband already a week ago. The rental agreement starts in July 15th. 

So, after the contract was signed, this lady started making some "ridiculous" requests:  re-clean the whole place, repaint the whole property, and must  be with the paint that she approves. Then she wanted to replace all the blinds to the style she likes (she did say she can pay for it), and she tells us that she has lung disease (she is 65, retired and has a court order where her ex-husband paid her significant amount on monthly basis).

The realtor who has been on all the communication above told my husband she felt this woman would eventually bring a lawsuit to her and my husband. At first blush, I thought she was very demanding and clean freak, but now the contract was signed, what should we do to protect ourselves? any advice would be greatly appreciated.   

Joanne

Loading replies...