Votes
Joshua Nobles
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Property manager Indianapolis

Joshua Nobles
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Oct 17 2018, 02:56
I am going to start investing in Indianapolis from out of state. I have some possible deals in the works. I am looking for a property manager. I will need someone that can go look at the properties to let me know how much they will rent for and what repairs are needed. Does anyone know a “rock star” property manager? Someone dependable and honest that you would recommend?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Oct 17 2018, 05:02

You can start by going to www.narpm.org and search their directory of managers. These are professionals with additional training and a stricter code of ethics. It's no guarantee but it's a good place to start.

1. Ask how many units they manage and how much experience they have. If it's a larger organization, feel free to inquire about their different staff qualifications.

2. Review their management agreement. Make sure it explicitly explains the process for termination if you are unhappy with their services, but especially if they violate the terms of your agreement.

3. Understand the fees involved and calculate the total cost for an entire year of management so you can compare the different managers. It may sound nice to pay a 5% management fee but the extra fees can add up to be more than the other company that charges 10% with no add-on fees. Fees should be clearly stated, easy to understand, and justifiable. If you ask the manager to justify a fee and he starts hemming and hawing, move on or require them to remove the fee. Don't be afraid to negotiate!

4. Review their lease agreement and addendums. Think of all the things that could go wrong and see if the lease addresses them: unauthorized pets or tenants, early termination, security deposit, lease violations, late rent, eviction, lawn maintenance, parking, etc.

5. Don't just read the lease! Ask the manager to explain their process for dealing with maintenance or problem tenants. If they are professional, they can explain this quickly and easily. If they are VERY professional, they will have their processes in writing as verification that it is enforced equally and fairly by their entire staff.

6. Ask to speak with some of their current owners and current/former tenants. You can also check their reviews online at Google, Facebook, or Yelp. Just remember: most negative reviews are written by problematic tenants. The fact they are complaining online might be an indication the property manager dealt with them properly so be sure to ask the manager for their side of the story.

I hope this basic guide helps. If you have specific questions about property management, I'll be happy to help!

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
H W Beckley
  • Pittsboro, IN
Votes |
  • Pittsboro, IN
Replied Oct 17 2018, 10:17

@nathan g that sounds like great advice.

@Joshua nobles I am curious why you want to look at Indy when the Atlanta market is so much bigger & broader?  What has your experience been locally?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Oct 17 2018, 12:40
Originally posted by @H W Beckley:

@nathan g that sounds like great advice.

@Joshua nobles I am curious why you want to look at Indy when the Atlanta market is so much bigger & broader?  What has your experience been locally?

That's an easy one. Indianapolis is a better cash flow market.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Hyman
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • CPA
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • CPA
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Oct 17 2018, 14:09

@Joshua Nobles

Be in touch with @Ken Scarbrough. He's a reputable PM in Indy.

User Stats

Votes
Kenny Dahill
  • Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Replied Oct 17 2018, 18:33

@Joshua Nobles Regarding repairs, how much of repairs are you referring?  There could be a big difference in business decision depending on the amount you are comfortable repairing.  Minor might be an issue.  Enough major repairs might be better off ran through a contractor.

User Stats

Votes
Jeb Brilliant
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Long Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Long Beach, CA
Replied Oct 19 2018, 11:43

@Joshua Nobles Don't look at this relationship as life long, you need to find the best one but don't expect it to last forever. 

Also I don't EVER sign a 12 month agreement with the PM, if you don't like something they do you need to be able to get out quickly.

I hope things to go well with them but they don't always. If you want to privately run some names by me feel free and I'll tell you what I know. DM me if you'd like. 

User Stats

Votes
Com M.
  • Murrieta, CA
Votes |
  • Murrieta, CA
Replied Oct 19 2018, 12:16

@Joshua Nobles I am also investing in the Indy market.  I have been working with T&H Realty and would highly recommend them.