Telsa Cybertruck the ultimate for the real estate owner operator

195 Replies

Originally posted by @Matt R. :

@Jay Hinrichs Everyone else is playing catch up now, they are years behind in many ways, like the charging stations for one. There is more, like selling hundreds of thousands of cars/trucks with no dealers or advertisement. 

buying the vehicles on line with no salesman is just genius.  it takes a grand total of maybe 10 minutes and you bought your car.

then the delivery experience is much like buying a new airplane from the factory.. you get notified when its ready for delivery you show up its sitting in the clean room all ready to go.. the folks there walk you through the basics on how to charge and other things that are new to owning an Electric car.. its a quality experience.. 

then for those that are not close to service centers they have mobile service trucks that come to you..   

But your right think of all the money saved not having to build multi million dollar show rooms.. and since you basically never service them. there is no need for huge service bays as well.. although its a machine and things do and can break.. not saying that.  But when you buy an ICE car all those dollars are packed into getting that vehicle to you.. the dealership has to make a nice profit on the sale to afford the fixed overhead .. and of course dealers make a lot of money on service.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
Originally posted by @Matt R.:

@Jay Hinrichs Everyone else is playing catch up now, they are years behind in many ways, like the charging stations for one. There is more, like selling hundreds of thousands of cars/trucks with no dealers or advertisement. 

buying the vehicles on line with no salesman is just genius.  it takes a grand total of maybe 10 minutes and you bought your car.

then the delivery experience is much like buying a new airplane from the factory.. you get notified when its ready for delivery you show up its sitting in the clean room all ready to go.. the folks there walk you through the basics on how to charge and other things that are new to owning an Electric car.. its a quality experience.. 

then for those that are not close to service centers they have mobile service trucks that come to you..   

But your right think of all the money saved not having to build multi million dollar show rooms.. and since you basically never service them. there is no need for huge service bays as well.. although its a machine and things do and can break.. not saying that.  But when you buy an ICE car all those dollars are packed into getting that vehicle to you.. the dealership has to make a nice profit on the sale to afford the fixed overhead .. and of course dealers make a lot of money on service.

I remember taking an environmental science class decades ago and the Prof was like these combustion engines are basically 100 year old designs that are half heaters just wasting energy. The were already known much more efficient ways to create horse power last century. Luckily Elon did not forget that for the next century.

This post has been removed.

The 3rd party charging stations leave a lot to be desired and are overpriced. We just moved from FL to NV in a dual motor 3 and had no issues with Supercharging, but that 373-mile S would be nice. Cybertruck is going to be a long 2 year wait. I slept on it and I reserved a dual motor the next day, and then the day after that I decided on the other 2 models too. The looks can be polarizing, but the functionality and price can't be denied. For $39,900, with autopilot. And after watching trucks on commercials and in the parade today, they are starting to look dated.

Originally posted by @Matt R. :

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
Originally posted by @Matt R.:

I remember taking an environmental science class decades ago and the Prof was like these combustion engines are basically 100 year old designs that are half heaters just wasting energy. The were already known much more efficient ways to create horse power last century. Luckily Elon did not forget that for the next century.

the answer is just small nuclear reactors in each car.. !!! about the size of a golf ball should do it :)

Originally posted by @Ryan McKimm :

The 3rd party charging stations leave a lot to be desired and are overpriced. We just moved from FL to NV in a dual motor 3 and had no issues with Supercharging, but that 373-mile S would be nice. Cybertruck is going to be a long 2 year wait. I slept on it and I reserved a dual motor the next day, and then the day after that I decided on the other 2 models too. The looks can be polarizing, but the functionality and price can't be denied. For $39,900, with autopilot. And after watching trucks on commercials and in the parade today, they are starting to look dated.

I get a little antsy having to wait to charge but as I age or should I say my bladder ages I have to stop any way.. and I think your model 3 charges faster than our 2016 X.. will see if this new 2020 X charges faster..  My Daughter has the dual motor 3 and LOVES it.. I remember she was car shopping and called me we went and test drove a 3 series BMW and it was a slug compared to the Tesla its a no brainer in her mind and mine.. 

Originally posted by @Ryan McKimm :

And of course Porsche made a big deal about their electric car but at 150 to 225k.. there is a limit to the market.. were a 39k truck that's mass market material there. 

I've seen one Tesla, ever. They're not a thing around here. I've seen pics of the pick up and it does nothing for me. I couldn't love the Honda pick up either... I drive a crew cab GMC when I NEED a truck. Otherwise, we use an HHR for most of our refurb activities and on trips to out of state property we drive a Chevy Cruze. Gas engine and it gets 45mpg. Our gas is cheap compared to the west coast so we wouldn't see that much savings in that regard. (last fuel we bought was about $2.20)

@Jay Hinrichs my primary business as I establish more income streams in the real estate world, is pressure washing. I have been debating about purchasing kne of these and building a new rig that fits in the back. Some of the pumps we use are electric, called booster pumps, could be pretty cool. And as my name is Hi-Tech, very fitting.

Love the design. But I'm a nerd.

Originally posted by @Kris H. :

@Jay Hinrichs

Finally starting to see ads for charging stations up here actually. 8*F is about -12*C unless my brain is currently on pause. Good rule of thumb is -35C &-35F are equal (they aren’t, but they’re reasonably close).

At 40 below, Celsius and Fahrenheit are the same. That's the only place they coincide on either side of freezing. And that's cold no matter how you measure it.

Hahah

This is entertaining. First - if you live in a place where Teslas are not a thing - what the hell? Hah That's one big rock you are living under...

Next - if you are living in 40 degrees below zero - one more time, what the hell? Why? Hahah HAve you heard of Arizona? The rest of the country is moving here :)

@Jay Hinrichs - my parents are here half of the year. 5 seats is sorta lacking. I might pick up a 3 or a Y to zip around town while I wait for the truck.

I think it’s ugly as hell, but we will probably get one eventually. We have a gas bill anywhere between $900-1300 for our pickup. Would love to not spend that. 

Also for someone who drives 25-30k miles/year, autopilot would be life changing.

I love Jay, but I wouldn't buy or drive that piece of junk if it were the only truck available on the planet.  Tesla is an unsustainable business and their cars are junk.  Carbon footprint is worse than a gas truck because the battery is so environmentally dirty.  Loved their video showing their unbreakable windows.  Both broke instantly.  Truck is also ugly as all get out too.
 Love the concept of electric cars.  Unfortunately we are just not there yet technologically speaking. Plus most electricity is coal fired in the US.  Pretty dirty ecologically speaking.  All in my humble opinion.

It would do incredibly well in the snow due to the weight. Electric cars are incredibly heavy due to their motors. The heavier the car, the better traction it has (think dragging a box across a floor, then have someone sit on it and try to drag it.) Given that this will be an extremely heavy truck in comparison, most likely it will be the best vehicle in the snow other than maybe an M-1 Abrahms. 
Originally posted by @Dennis M. :

I think it would be awesome . Im a  big fan in fact I would probably find other uses like drive high school kids to prom in it or charge for photo opps to the public . I wonder how it would do in the snow here in pa.? I’d probably sell my corvette  because  if it’s that fast I wouldn’t need a summer toy ! I’m eager to see how this pans out once the public starts using them for chores. This would be great for the ghetto too ! Nobody could scratch it with keys it’s impervious to beer bottles thrown at or other retaliation from my section 8 tenants 

Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich :

Hahah

This is entertaining. First - if you live in a place where Teslas are not a thing - what the hell? Hah That's one big rock you are living under...

Next - if you are living in 40 degrees below zero - one more time, what the hell? Why? Hahah HAve you heard of Arizona? The rest of the country is moving here :)

@Jay Hinrichs - my parents are here half of the year. 5 seats is sorta lacking. I might pick up a 3 or a Y to zip around town while I wait for the truck.

I live an hour south of Atlanta, GA on a dirt road. I travel a lot and just don't see any of them on the road. Not sure where they all are? Maybe out west. As far as the minus 40 degrees, that was just a science fact, never claimed to have driven in it but I did live in Alaska for a while so there's that...

I suppose there's some Teslas in Atlanta but I rarely go there unless I'm passing through. As a percentage of cars on the road, it's a teeny number.

I think it depends on your financial status. Starting out, NO (Hell NO). Your better off running a Chevy Aveo with a bungy cord around the hatch back, with an occasional Home Depo truck rental or whatever the hell you have in your driveway currently. 

For you Jay, go for it man, I have no idea, but you could say your tried it. even if it fails, you are still in the winning circle. Economists would refer to it as "economy of scale". 

Just got back from Mexico. We paid $110 American per hour for a fishing boat. Wife loves to fish. She caught 3 tuna on one line!!!  it was  too much fun to be legal. Found out later we could have gotten a boat for much less if we had gone straight to the captain. Some would be really bumbed out about that. I am not concerned in the slightest. I would have paid more because it was a trip I will never forget.  and here is the key. when I returned 3 weeks later, we had more in the bank than when we left. Cash flow is the ultimate cushion and allows you to do things that would cause the working Joe to load his drawers in fear of failure. 

Credit mostly to Bigger Pockets and members. BRRRRR is the Bomb!

@Gary L Wallman Even if your home was powered 100% by coal, EVs are much cleaner as they are up to 5x's more efficient than an internal combustion engine. Coal generated power is less than 30% of our grid, and they are closing down left and right, as renewables and batteries are cheaper.

As far as the impact on the environment and reliability, EVs win, hands down. It's not even a debate.

@Jay Hinrichs

Love it. Put a deposit down on the dual motor self driving first thing in the morning after the unveil. We see lots of value in it if Tesla can pull it off. Thought I was going to have to sell my wife on the idea but she was literally handing my phone to me before coffee. We didn’t even really discuss it much like we do most things, I guess the value was obvious and the commitment was almost 0 and so far away (2021). The safety, tech and the cost of ownership were the big selling points. I will say, we’re not really the latest and greatest kind of people or into virtue signaling when it comes to our cars or really anything. Did I just virtue signal by making that claim? Feels like I did. Moving on, my 06 Ridgeline that I bought new in 05 just seized on me at 300k mi and she drives a 12 year old minivan. I volunteer this info because I think it’s noteworthy and interesting to see what the people buying this truck are coming from.

At first, before the Cybertruck was released I was going to maybe sit back and let this unfold, let the quirks get worked out and maybe find a good deal on the used market. But once the options, features and price were revealed, waiting just didn’t seem prudent.

Man, I'm not a truck guy at all but this looks very interesting and practical. Will probably pick this up once I'm back in the States. Do I need to put a deposit down for 2021?

@Jay Hinrichs

3 years ago, March 2016, I hurried to place a $1000 same-day deposit on the Model 3

When it finally came out, I took the full refund of my deposit back.

I wasn’t sure if Tesla would really last based on the financials and all the delays

Plus, I also own a BMW M3 (V8) and a daily driver Camry Hybrid (both paid off). The M3 is garaged and barely driven these days.

After seeing the Cybertruck reveal...not only did I place a $100 deposit on it, I started talking to my cousins who had Teslas as well.

The next day, I wound up buying a “used” Model 3 (used in quotes cause it only has 690 miles total) directly from Tesla.

Craziest part is I’m actually en route to go pick it up as I type this post. So yes, I will definitely be considering the CyberTruck vs the Model Y. Not so much for the real estate owner part - more so cause it’s badass!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here