Telsa Cybertruck the ultimate for the real estate owner operator

195 Replies

I bought a new Toyota pick in '83 for $10K and drove it for 26 years and 328K miles.  Traded it for a used '05 Ford Ranger for $8K and am still driving it.  Yeah, I'm frugal on autos. Would live to buy a Cybertruck for many of the reasons mentioned above.  Practicality is not one of them though.  I can buy a really nice used Chevy Colorado for half the amount and be quite happy for 10 years. It seems to be more of an if you can afford it, go for it; which is absolutely ok.  Just not sure there is any practicality angle though. 

As a contractor how would you carry lumber or a ladder ? Doesn’t seem like that vehicle can be easily outfitted with a ladder rack... doesn’t really matter though, Elon li,e to get everyone worked up long before the logistics have been figured out. It will be 2-3 years before these are ready and there will be other options by then

@Jay Hinrichs

Does anyone know how the charging stations work? Do you just plug it in at your house? If so, how much is my power bill going to go up?

Thanks!

@Jay Hinrichs I’m not a truck person and I’m thinking about buying it in 2021 or 2022. Mainly because we have horrible drivers where I live. I’ve been hit twice over the last 2 months by first a college girl and the last a high school student, and both fled the scene. With this bad boy, they can hit me and I could care less :)

Originally posted by @Gary L Wallman :

I love Jay, but I wouldn't buy or drive that piece of junk if it were the only truck available on the planet.  Tesla is an unsustainable business and their cars are junk.  Carbon footprint is worse than a gas truck because the battery is so environmentally dirty.  Loved their video showing their unbreakable windows.  Both broke instantly.  Truck is also ugly as all get out too.
 Love the concept of electric cars.  Unfortunately we are just not there yet technologically speaking. Plus most electricity is coal fired in the US.  Pretty dirty ecologically speaking.  All in my humble opinion.

Coal is phasing out just read an article that for the first time alternate or clean energy is responsible for more power than coal and it keeps going that way..  But like they say in the car business their is an A$$ for every seat.. 

Originally posted by @Andrey Y. :

Man, I'm not a truck guy at all but this looks very interesting and practical. Will probably pick this up once I'm back in the States. Do I need to put a deposit down for 2021?

Yes you do or you will need to find someone who is going to sell it used.. and I bet there wont be many of those.. 

Tesla.com  click the button it takes 15 seconds.

Originally posted by @Terrell Garren :

I bought a new Toyota pick in '83 for $10K and drove it for 26 years and 328K miles.  Traded it for a used '05 Ford Ranger for $8K and am still driving it.  Yeah, I'm frugal on autos. Would live to buy a Cybertruck for many of the reasons mentioned above.  Practicality is not one of them though.  I can buy a really nice used Chevy Colorado for half the amount and be quite happy for 10 years. It seems to be more of an if you can afford it, go for it; which is absolutely ok.  Just not sure there is any practicality angle though. 

For me I have probably owned no less than 30 to 40 cars through my lifetime.. all the high end ones save a Ferrari or lambo.. some used ( Porsche) most new though as I was in my earlier years selling Ranch and very Rural real estate in N> CA.. so the thought of having a break down 30 miles into the national forest with no cell service and clients in your car was not one I wanted to risk or entertain..  But I get the used car benefit I really do and have owned many .. I had an old Mercedes 240D that was used I and I drove the heck out of that one.. And many others.. I used to drive 30 to 40k miles a year.. so I cycle cars a lot then you have the cars you buy for your kids  and your wife.. so it adds up to a lot of vehicles.. However the last 20 plus years other than the Porsche and a High end lexus SUV as a third car I always buy new drive for 2 to 3 years and get another new one.. I don't like cars that are out of warranty.. With Tesla the batter is 8 years 100k miles I will sell before that happens.. I made it 38 months with my model S before I sold it that's about as long as I like to drive a car.  :)

Originally posted by @Russell Cazeault :

As a contractor how would you carry lumber or a ladder ? Doesn’t seem like that vehicle can be easily outfitted with a ladder rack... doesn’t really matter though, Elon li,e to get everyone worked up long before the logistics have been figured out. It will be 2-3 years before these are ready and there will be other options by then

That was the only down side I saw.. But a lot of the contractors in our areas have trailers.. but I think about some of the smaller contractors who have all their tools in the back of their truck with the cover over the bed which appears to be theft proof.. that's a great security option and plus you can plug your skill saw or other item into the 120 or 240 right on the truck before you get power to the job..  so some cool features I suspect someone will come up with an after market rack for painters ladders or those that need to get small shots of lumber. 

In our business new builds our lumber suppliers deliver all ours so we never go shopping for lumber anymore anyway.

Originally posted by @Dylan H. :

@Jay Hinrichs

Does anyone know how the charging stations work? Do you just plug it in at your house? If so, how much is my power bill going to go up?

Thanks!

Yes you just plug it in at home you need to run a circuit from you box for a 240 V  its the same thing as hooking up a dryer.. so you simply plug in every night when you get home or if you don't drive much like my wife maybe 1 to 2 times a week.. so those that live in apartments might find it more challenging.. but then like my Daughter Intel has a bunch of chargers in the parking lot so if she needed to you can do it in reverse charge at work

The supercharger network that Tesla has started out strategically placed along the interstates so you could drive from virtually any major city in America to any other and charge along the way.. they have greatly expanded those now to bring them into the cities as well.. Like Vegas right now has 4 of them and then the SUPER SUPER charger at the Link..  You can run into issues of the chargers being full and have to wait in line a few minutes for someone to unplug.. this is more common in CA.. were the most Tesla's live.. I have had to wait one time in 3 years more than 5 minutes.. But there are spots were more super chargers are needed Reno NV for one there is only 6.. 

But suffice it to say if you own your home or long term renter of a home and your landlord will allow you just put in the 240 out let and the car comes with a 20 foot cord and adaptors as well to all the private charging stations as well. like the ones you see at a walgreens or the mall.

@Jay Hinrichs , the larger cost the electric vehicles have comes a couple years down the road. The replacement Tesla batterhe's can run very high, to the point that it is almost cheaper to sell it and get another new one. That being said, I LOVE the look of the cybertruck, and want one for myself. I just hope the battery issue will be resolved sooner than later.

@Jay Hinrichs boys and their toys! Aside from being completely different than anything every made before, I can see the advantage of them in rural areas, having just had a deer smash into the side of my car a few weeks ago, and in Oregon, there's herds of Elk! However; my son brought up a great point. With the design of the front end, and the trucks basically being armored vehicles, what will happen when they crash into other vehicles that aren't as sturdy? It can be a nightmare, with certain fatalities, and lawsuits ahead. 

Originally posted by @Gary L Wallman :

I love Jay, but I wouldn't buy or drive that piece of junk if it were the only truck available on the planet.  Tesla is an unsustainable business and their cars are junk.  Carbon footprint is worse than a gas truck because the battery is so environmentally dirty.  Loved their video showing their unbreakable windows.  Both broke instantly.  Truck is also ugly as all get out too.
 Love the concept of electric cars.  Unfortunately we are just not there yet technologically speaking. Plus most electricity is coal fired in the US.  Pretty dirty ecologically speaking.  All in my humble opinion.

Your opinion is as biased as Fox News or MSNBC. Technologically speaking, you have no idea what your talking about. 

Originally posted by @Jason Hammond :

@Jay Hinrichs, the larger cost the electric vehicles have comes a couple years down the road. The replacement Tesla batterhe's can run very high, to the point that it is almost cheaper to sell it and get another new one. That being said, I LOVE the look of the cybertruck, and want one for myself. I just hope the battery issue will be resolved sooner than later.

No need to worry about replacing the battery in a “couple years”. Tesla has one of the best EV batteries and warranties them for 8 years with unlimited mileage. 

@Gary L Wallman the technology is indeed in it's infancy. However if people don't buy it now and everyone waits, there isn't a way to find the better future tech. It becomes a catch 22. Much like buying the 4k tv's when they first came out, they were very expensive, and they have come up with better, cheaper 4k tv's now. That cash influx helped to make that happen.

"Carbon footprint" is also a nonsensical thing. Carbon isn't even a cause of "global warming" or whatever they call it these days. That's like blaming the flu you contracted on your currently running nose and fever.

I like the idea, but where I reside the cold affects batteries.  Usually I get 5 years out of car battery before I replace it.  I wonder how long the battery would last in -30 weather.  Considering we go weeks or even a month with below zero weather.

Its as ugly as sin......looks like a vehicle out of a really bad sci-fi movie that went straight to video...:0

The specs are pretty impressive.....

Any of you Tesla owners had issues with insurance or service on the vehicle when something does happen to it? The company my wife works for will not insure Tesla..... they are VERY hard and expensive to repair...... parts are hard to come but, so if you get in an accident, the repairs can take a LONG time

As for the body..... its one solid piece and almost like an armored vehicle. Modern vehicles are designed to crumple on impact to absorb the energy for both vehicles and occupants. I'm very curious how this will pass safety tests...... getting in a significant accidents will cause the occupants to absorb all that kinetic energy and air bags etc can only mitigate some of that.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :
Originally posted by @Russell Cazeault:

That was the only down side I saw.. But a lot of the contractors in our areas have trailers.. but I think about some of the smaller contractors who have all their tools in the back of their truck with the cover over the bed which appears to be theft proof.. that's a great security option and plus you can plug your skill saw or other item into the 120 or 240 right on the truck before you get power to the job..  so some cool features I suspect someone will come up with an after market rack for painters ladders or those that need to get small shots of lumber. 

In our business new builds our lumber suppliers deliver all ours so we never go shopping for lumber anymore anyway.

It has aircraft grade truck bed accessories ready that I saw online for all kinds of options, dozens it looked like ready to fit as is. Maybe they will add the heavy load racks or someone will make. Perhaps you noticed those slits in the bed or the ridge on the outline interior of bed, this is partly where those anchor and all in customizable positions vs other trucks fixed only positions.

It has what appears to be next level truck bed cargo transport options available. Someone who was rocket scientist/engineer designed this apparently. 

@Jay Hinrichs

I disagree. The truck cost as much as a down payment for another house. I rather buy another property for more income than a fancy truck. I would feel terrible throwing a used toilet in the back of a 50k truck.

I prefer a used Toyota Tacoma with a 6 foot bed. It's tuff and gets good gas mileage. Solid resale. I don't mind getting it dirty.

Originally posted by @Jeff Bousquet :

@Jay Hinrichs

I disagree. The truck cost as much as a down payment for another house. I rather buy another property for more income than a fancy truck. I would feel terrible throwing a used toilet in the back of a 50k truck.

I prefer a used Toyota Tacoma with a 6 foot bed. It's tuff and gets good gas mileage. Solid resale. I don't mind getting it dirty.

I hear ya, although renting this truck out would easily out produce most any 100k house in cash flow is my guess, maybe $150 to $200 a day is conservative with toilets option delete. 

@Jay Hinrichs -  I preordered as well.   The only thing that's been stopping me from getting a Tesla has been my need for a truck.  This vehicle checks every single box and beats out 99% of cars by doing it.  I'm LONG Tesla, and LONG Elon Musk.  

I'm able to to justify it from the fuel savings alone.  I spend EASILY $120 a week on gas, and that's only if I'm driving around my work area.  That doesn't factor in longer trips.  It's all a bonus when you add in the fact that it's self driving, indestructible, has absurd amounts of space, and sports Teslas magic black ice nullifying technology.  Count me in.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here