Telsa Cybertruck the ultimate for the real estate owner operator

195 Replies

Originally posted by @Andrey Y. :

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
Originally posted by @Andrey Y.:

Originally posted by @Terrell Garren:
Originally posted by @William Coet:
From a cost perspective alone (even after savings from electricity), it is still more affordable to get a used chevy, gmc, or ford.  There are fleet trucks (verizon, etc.) that are being unloaded by those companies and have been on a maintenance schedule.  They can be picked up for 5k.  Even after you pay fuel costs and maintenance you can buy 2-3 of these and pay their costs, before you hit the cost of a new tesla cybertruck.

Amen brother.  I don't fault anyone for buying one. In fact, I'd love to have one.  But I cannot make a practicality argument. I do not see where this fits for a person focused on building wealth and has yet to reach their first million.  If you are worth more than a couple million, buy one and enjoy life.  You earned it. 

Agreed when I started in RE at 18 I lived at home the first year and used my parents car :)  One always needs to measure necessity with wherewithal.   And before I ever bought a nicer car I had already bought my first home to live in..  Of course now a days many say a home is a liability but depends on where you live I happened to buy mine in Silicon Valley and that one move was very timely and turned out to be financially rewarding.

Someone who tries to shame an investor who invests for appreciation, is ill-informed on how real estate works. They need to study more. 

Andrey did you put your 100.00 down for the cybertruck ?

I'm currently in South Korea and loving it, I just extended through 2021. What is the first year I can buy the truck? I mean, it may be summer of 2021 or 2022 until I will be back in the States. I doubt I can take delivery in Asia but that would be sweet.

it will be 22 before you would get one so get your deposit in asap as deliveries are based on when the deposits go in.

although I think like other Teslas they will deliver the most expensive one first. then work their way down to the least

@Jay Hinrichs

My one brother has had the big model Telsa Model X sense day one and loves it, BUT he also got all types of tax deductions for being one of the first to purchase one.

My second brother just purchased a Model S, and also put down the $100 down payment for the truck.

I will see how it works and if it is worth it, don't forget the 500miles is with no load on it.

Originally posted by @Jorge Pimienta :

@Jay Hinrichs

My one brother has had the big model Telsa Model X sense day one and loves it, BUT he also got all types of tax deductions for being one of the first to purchase one.

My second brother just purchased a Model S, and also put down the $100 down payment for the truck.

I will see how it works and if it is worth it, don't forget the 500miles is with no load on it.

from my personal experience in my X  even loaded to the ceiling when travelling to our second home we don't really see much if any range degradation.. now if your towing 3 to 5lbs that would be different. But what ever you can load in the vehicle I don't think will make a huge difference.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

Originally posted by @Terrell Garren:
Originally posted by @William Coet:
From a cost perspective alone (even after savings from electricity), it is still more affordable to get a used chevy, gmc, or ford.  There are fleet trucks (verizon, etc.) that are being unloaded by those companies and have been on a maintenance schedule.  They can be picked up for 5k.  Even after you pay fuel costs and maintenance you can buy 2-3 of these and pay their costs, before you hit the cost of a new tesla cybertruck.

Amen brother.  I don't fault anyone for buying one. In fact, I'd love to have one.  But I cannot make a practicality argument. I do not see where this fits for a person focused on building wealth and has yet to reach their first million.  If you are worth more than a couple million, buy one and enjoy life.  You earned it. 

Agreed when I started in RE at 18 I lived at home the first year and used my parents car :)  One always needs to measure necessity with wherewithal.   And before I ever bought a nicer car I had already bought my first home to live in..  Of course now a days many say a home is a liability but depends on where you live I happened to buy mine in Silicon Valley and that one move was very timely and turned out to be financially rewarding.

Someone who tries to shame an investor who invests for appreciation, is ill-informed on how real estate works. They need to study more. 

Andrey did you put your 100.00 down for the cybertruck ?

I'm currently in South Korea and loving it, I just extended through 2021. What is the first year I can buy the truck? I mean, it may be summer of 2021 or 2022 until I will be back in the States. I doubt I can take delivery in Asia but that would be sweet.

it will be 22 before you would get one so get your deposit in asap as deliveries are based on when the deposits go in.

although I think like other Teslas they will deliver the most expensive one first. then work their way down to the least

Gotcha. Going to put my deposit for the mid-range one now!

Originally posted by @Brett Tvenge :

@John Teachout that’s insane. I see 25+ daily here in Phoenix. No lie. Everywhere.

Well, if you take pick up trucks out of the equation, then that leaves about 50% of vehicles. Take out the SUVs and that leaves about 5% to 10% cars. And of those, I just don't see Teslas. If I went into Atlanta, there's bound to be some there but even on the interstate I'm just not seeing them. I suspect the vast majority are on the west coast and neighboring states. I drove about 90 miles today and since this thread started I've been extra vigilant but nope. nuthin. My comments aren't speaking anything about Tesla vehicles other than they're not common "here".

We will continue to drive our 2019 Dodge RAM 3500 for work. If it gets a little banged up, oh well, it adds character. It is a work truck! Sitting at a charging station (I have seen people) for hours is never going to be my life. My time is too valuable.

AND what are you going to do if you get stuck in the middle of nowhere, no charging station near by or other businesses to get a charge. Carry a generator with gas in it for back up. No thanks! 

Furthermore, I have done at lot of research on electric cars, car battery manufacturing/disposal and I do not think they are as environmentally friendly as everyone thinks. Sorry just my opinions!

"Industry watchers now fear that battery production, unless it changes dramatically, along with electricity production will actually produce more atmospheric pollutants than the most efficient gas and diesel engines do at the moment. That's a sobering circumstance to contemplate, one not often mentioned by high-profile leaders of electric car makers."
Autoweek

@Jay Hinrichs

The “bullet proof” windows were a big “Oops”. The fact that a limp risted, silicone valley, dweeb’s soft pitch broke not one but two driver side windows made me laugh. False advertising considering the hype/price tag.

Agree the body, torque, style is disruptive but red flags raised during the unveiling’s window test considering the hype...

I’ll wait.

Originally posted by @Monique O'Dell :

We will continue to drive our 2019 Dodge RAM 3500 for work. If it gets a little banged up, oh well, it adds character. It is a work truck! Sitting at a charging station (I have seen people) for hours is never going to be my life. My time is too valuable.

AND what are you going to do if you get stuck in the middle of nowhere, no charging station near by or other businesses to get a charge. Carry a generator with gas in it for back up. No thanks! 

Furthermore, I have done at lot of research on electric cars, car battery manufacturing/disposal and I do not think they are as environmentally friendly as everyone thinks. Sorry just my opinions!

"Industry watchers now fear that battery production, unless it changes dramatically, along with electricity production will actually produce more atmospheric pollutants than the most efficient gas and diesel engines do at the moment. That's a sobering circumstance to contemplate, one not often mentioned by high-profile leaders of electric car makers."
Autoweek

OK first off at super chargers you get 150 miles in about 15 minutes not hours.. and only about 10% of the fleet will use superchargers you charge at home at night.. so with the truck if you got the one with 500 mile range unless your on a road trip how many times do you drive in your daily duties more than 500 miles or 200 miles for that matter.. charging is not an issue like you make it out.. when you own one you figure it out.. talking about time.. I have not spent one minute at a gas station in almost 3.5 years.. no getting hands dirty and smelly with diesel like I used to with our work trucks.. these are not for everyone of course.. but for the do it your self fix and flip and landlord hauling around stuff and especially into the C and D neighborhoods these could be very good.. especially being able to keep your tools very secure compared to flimsy shells .. on the back of pick ups..  Any way..  EV is here its not going away.. Big auto would not be coming out with all these new models if it was just a fad or just Tesla doing this..  

Originally posted by @John Teachout :
Originally posted by @Brett Tvenge:

@John Teachout that’s insane. I see 25+ daily here in Phoenix. No lie. Everywhere.

Well, if you take pick up trucks out of the equation, then that leaves about 50% of vehicles. Take out the SUVs and that leaves about 5% to 10% cars. And of those, I just don't see Teslas. If I went into Atlanta, there's bound to be some there but even on the interstate I'm just not seeing them. I suspect the vast majority are on the west coast and neighboring states. I drove about 90 miles today and since this thread started I've been extra vigilant but nope. nuthin. My comments aren't speaking anything about Tesla vehicles other than they're not common "here".

For sure west coast dominates the Tesla sales and for really rural applications I understand were they would could not be a good fit. I mean some states still outlaw Tesla from opening up a sales center..  

Originally posted by @Ryan Hall :

@Jay Hinrichs

The “bullet proof” windows were a big “Oops”. The fact that a limp risted, silicone valley, dweeb’s soft pitch broke not one but two driver side windows made me laugh. False advertising considering the hype/price tag.

Agree the body, torque, style is disruptive but red flags raised during the unveiling’s window test considering the hype...

I’ll wait.

REally what happens if you take a golf ball size ball bearing and limp wrist it into your current trucks window what would happen ? 

who cares about the windows.. that's a minor detail being bullet proof is great for the hood but its not something I would dwell on.. 

its the gas savings NO RUST  no dents and price point for a new rig that has better specs than anything coming out of Detroit for the same price.

Originally posted by @Kenny Vilayvong :

@Dennis M.

Exactly my thoughts. If it’s not making me money or paying itself off, than it’s a pass. 

There is always this argument on BP  what do you drive and how do you look at vehicles.. you have on one hand the camp that only wants cheap used vehicles and I agree those make financial sense.. buying cars is not an investment unless they are investment grade vehicles so you cant compare buying real estate to buying a car.. but  most of us in the RE investment world or business Have a car..  And or Truck.. 

cyber truck makes you money because if you know what your doing your going to save big money on Fuel maintenance and safety.. Safety has always been a big issue for me and my family.. my wife and kids got rear ended one time guy going 40 MPH and never hit the brakes.. some little flimsy cheap car this could have been very bad.. its was our BMW at the time and no one got hurt.. this matters to me as much as anything. And Tesla is the safest car on the road bar none.. This is why Volvo and Saab have survived SAFETY. 

Originally posted by @Harry H copeland :

@Jay it’s ugly

Ya I am not as focused on how it looks as functionality.. but I suspect its going to grow on folks.. Trucks are not all that pretty they all look the same.. and its what we are conditioned for..  take the high end Mercedes  SUV that sells for 125k.. its a Cube.. 

@Jay Hinrichs :

Please do not misunderstand what I am saying. I love this planet very much. I spend each day making conscious choices that are the best for the environment and the planet itself (not just the atmosphere). I applaud Telsa for everything they are doing 100%. This movement will/has forever changed the car/truck industry. It is forcing the auto industry to respond to changes whether they like it or not.

My concern lies in the disposal and manufacturing of the EV cars/trucks. There is more toxic waste from the production and disposal of the EV cars (batteries). The plant is not just about the atmosphere surrounding the plant, but the plant itself. I would like to see something that is not as toxic for the plant, like hydrogen used as a fuel source. If not in 50 years, we will be not just talking about global warming but the toxicity within the plant and how life on the plant is suffering from the toxicity of chemicals. For me, I want a forever solution that in 10 to 100 years has not destroyed this place we call home!

The petrolatum companies have shelved alternative fuels for years and because of companies like Telsa it is opening up a new era of thought! I love it. I just do not think that electricity is the best way to go for cars/trucks. In addition to the toxicity of the batteries and manufacturing, you still need to reply on electricity. Which is also a problem. Look at all the people that have been without power because of the fires over the last few months... you shut the power off and now what? How are you going to charge your car/truck?  

@Monique O'Dell   there are hydrogen cars I think Toyota made one and is big on it.. I think the issue is there is only a few places to get the stuff.

and I hear ya on the power outages for sure.. but nothing is perfect.. remember the oil embargos LOL.. 

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

@Monique O'Dell  there are hydrogen cars I think Toyota made one and is big on it.. I think the issue is there is only a few places to get the stuff.

and I hear ya on the power outages for sure.. but nothing is perfect.. remember the oil embargos LOL.. 

:-) Progress over perfection. I like it!

@Matt R. While I was aware generally that there had been electric cars for longer than gas, indie not to that it was to such extent. Thank younger the great information! I still think that we should look into thorium, it is safer and better than uranium.

Originally posted by @Connor Stark :

Badass in my opinion. They went for something different ... very different... respect 

Kind of reminds me of when the first Hummers hit the market .. 

Originally posted by @Monique O'Dell :

Autoweek

They are saying they have solar option that will charge the batteries for 15-40 miles worth just being parked. If the sun was out, you might not get stuck I guess. 

I am no expert on CO2 but I think refining oil into gas pollutes far more and uses more harmful chemicals than reusable batteries ever could. I know it uses more Colbalt to refine gas. As far as industry watchers, I heard that is code for oil companies. 

Unrelated, Telsa was the only car manufacturer that had sales growth 2018, all others were down single digits, Telsa was up 50% or 60% as I recall.

Originally posted by @Matt R. :
Originally posted by @Monique O'Dell:

Autoweek

They are saying they have solar option that will charge the batteries for 15-40 miles worth just being parked. If the sun was out, you might not get stuck I guess. 

I am no expert on CO2 but I think refining oil into gas pollutes far more and uses more harmful chemicals than reusable batteries ever could. I know it uses more Colbalt to refine gas. As far as industry watchers, I heard that is code for oil companies. 

Unrelated, Telsa was the only car manufacturer that had sales growth 2018, all others were down single digits, Telsa was up 50% or 60% as I recall.

I think that Tesla growing in sales is awesome. It truly shows us how the world is changing...BUT if things like battery disposal and manufacturing practices of batteries are not addressed, we will have bigger issues. Battery acid and lithium are EXTREMELY TOXIC (more than fossil fuel) to the planet. At this point, buildings are being build to store old EV batteries (on pallets) of course in fear of leakage into the ground. Where is the toxic chemicals being disposed of from the EV car manufacturing? I am not out to be negative, only a realistic looking out for the planet I love. Is there only one way... probably not. All I am saying for every EV bought another issue is developing, if not addresses now, we will have BIGGER problems. I am looking out long term for our grand-kids' kids!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here