Telsa Cybertruck the ultimate for the real estate owner operator

195 Replies

@Jay Hinrichs

Not quite sold on the design aesthetics but

im sold on the bullet proof paneling... its a damn tank!! Perfect vehicle to have if you own properties in a war zone... especially in case stray bullets come flying while you’re collecting rents or evicting tenants.

PS... I was lucky enough to have bought Tesla stocks at IPO. So, i really hope it does well.

@Ryan Mckimm I never once disagreed with that we are hurting the earth, and that we need to do better. You did not seem to understand my point. I am in agreeable with you to an extent. However my point is that judging the results of what we have done to the earth by measuring carbon is like checking your tire pressure to see how fast you were going. Carbon is an end result. Not a cause. If you understand that, you will start to look for the cause (don't just say humans, that's a cop out) and you will start to see a much larger and scarier picture. There is so much more in play than just us. Magnetic pole shift. Oceanic jet steam changes. Saline content changes in the ocean. Volcanos, often not reported to the states. While our contribution to the damage and changes is not insignificant,  it is not even close to a primary factor for cause. You are right in the small part that you are speaking of, but from what I am seeing, your view is a tad myopic.

Originally posted by @Kyle Poirier :

@Jay Hinrichs

You're making one huge mistake: believing elon musk. You're getting pretty far ahead of yourself, seeing as not even a single one of these has been delivered to a customer.

Safety features? You can steal teslas with a range extender lol.

The truck squatting was absolutely not a safety feature haha are you trolling? 

I don't see 100 dollar deposit as a huge risk and I have already been an owner going on 4 years of two Teslas and they just get better every other month with over the air upgrades.. However I realize in the auto industry there are 100's of choices of vehicles and this is just one.

your inference was that the suspension was so weak that a quad made the back end dip down by its weight that is not the case it goes down in back on command to assist loading the quad.  And as someone who used a quad every week for work for 10 years and so has loaded one hundreds of times the lower the ramp angle the safer it is  and if you saw the presentation the ramp slides out of the tail gate and is full width so if you slip sideways your not going to run a wheel off of the skinny ramps we had to use in those days.. .. 

I don't own stock in the company I just use the product and for me I really like them I would not go back to ICE vehicle other than maybe a beater pick up to do dump runs.. or if I was back in the Timber business I would be forced into a big desiel rig as much of what I did was in the boonies and when I say boonies this is not east coast boonies this is western US were we might go 30 to 50 miles one way back into the forest to look at timber sales.  ( great business by the way loved that business)

Originally posted by @Ryan McKimm :

@Kyle Poirier The air suspension was lowered on purpose for ease of loading the quad, like Jay said.

The naysayers doubted the original Roadster, the Model S, the Model 3, and the China Gigafactory was built faster than most people can rehab a house (under a year), and they start one in Germany next year. Meanwhile ever other global car company is closing plants and shedding workers.

I wouldn't doubt the guy that has delivered on everything he's unveiled, including launching and landing the only reusable rockets for a tenth of the cost of the legacy rocket industry.

Maybe 

And he is starting on his tunnel in Vegas this month or next I believe they could have used him on the Big Dig in Boston LOL

Originally posted by @William Coet :

Two items that haven't been addressed are:

1.  Ease of maintenance and repair. What is their repair network like?  The average mechanic can do many repairs on GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Etc.  I've heard people are going to wait for these companies to come out with EV for the maintenance/repair element.

2.  The glass broke in the demo! What else is going to break that they claim won't?

there is no maintenance on these cars my model S never saw the shop in 3.5 years of owning it.. My X in 3 years went in for a door squeak. you only change wiper fluid when needed  wiper blades and brake fluid every 25k miles.. so unless you hit something so far mine have been bullet proof .. now to be fair I have only owned them for 3.5 years and I always buy cars new drive them until I am bored with them and get another new one.. so like my model S I sold that last month ( for a price far better than any other used car vis a vi depreciation) and picking up a new X today .. I would never own these cars out of warranty and I don't own any car out of warranty I sell them..  OH and you need tires of course.  I think this is one of the big deals with the dealer networks since they make so much money on repairs.. if US and other auto makers do it right their repair business is going to be a fraction of what it is today..   And as the battery packs get cheaper even if you need a new one in 100 or 200k miles or so it will be down to 3 to 5k at that point.. same price as a new engine.. I had an engine blow up in Honda accord I had at 22k miles.. they replaced it of course..  but with 8 year unlimited mile warranty on the battery and no drive train.. seems like its a good bet your experience could be like mine Zero maintenance in 3 years.. there is no manufacturers schedule maintenance for the car you service on need .. and I had no need.. All the while saving 300 to 400 a month on gas X two.. plus never going to a gas station .. charge at home at night and on the road FREE superchargers.. it adds up.. but I am the first to say cars don't make you money.. but this truck just might for the PM  light duty contractor.. 

Also I might add @Matt R. @Syed H. @Ben Leybovich   kind of nice to have a conversation about something other than my tenant did not pay what do I do.. or I want to buy that little mid west rental who is a good company to use.. 

or my PM is screwing me  LOL.  so thanks all for engaging in this conversation..  Its the future and Elon has created it .. without him and the success of Tesla  big ICE companies would never have changed .. and some probably wont 

in some countries and I believe Norway is one by 2025 they will not be allowed to sell new ICE cars anymore any knew car must be EV.. 

Lastly for anyone living in LA and SF  that commutes just being able to use the commuter lanes with one person in the car is enough of an advantage that it would be the ONLY car I would own if I was commuting.. THATS huge and CA specific of course not sure if any other state is as Green as CA .. 

Originally posted by @Mike Carstens :

@Jay Hinrichs. Here in Minnesota, snow and ice is a very real issue to deal with. The Tonneau type cover that runs in rails would be a real pain all winter long. Make it like a Suburban or Expedition to catch my attention.

Model X will hold as much as a suburban you have space in the Frunk  and you have 3 levels in the back  its a huge hauler and with its weight and 4 wheel drive its a dream in the snow and ice.

cant make a truck a suburban the cyber truck is as truck you don't put a quad in the back of a suburban right ?  different vehicles.

for enclosed work vehicles seems to me the sprinter vans are pretty robust.. 

Most Tesla cars are bought in CA esp the plant is not far from here. Now with many on the road I started seen inside the fender what crap is made of. I have seen more banged up Tesla than most people. When I hear my 5 year old grandson starts the computer system gave command: "Navigate Home" I know someone is ahead of us.

Trucks- all the kids know about that Crbertruck on specifications and even price and they will be a conversational topic. It is way more friendly than realtors use Hummer to impress clients.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

Also I might add @Matt R. @Syed H. @Ben Leybovich  kind of nice to have a conversation about something other than my tenant did not pay what do I do.. or I want to buy that little mid west rental who is a good company to use.. 

or my PM is screwing me  LOL.  so thanks all for engaging in this conversation..  Its the future and Elon has created it .. without him and the success of Tesla  big ICE companies would never have changed .. and some probably wont 

in some countries and I believe Norway is one by 2025 they will not be allowed to sell new ICE cars anymore any knew car must be EV.. 

Lastly for anyone living in LA and SF  that commutes just being able to use the commuter lanes with one person in the car is enough of an advantage that it would be the ONLY car I would own if I was commuting.. THATS huge and CA specific of course not sure if any other state is as Green as CA .. 

I appreciate you exploring this perspective, Jay. It has become increasingly challenging to stay engaged on BP - it's so lopsided. It's like RE is all there is in life.

While the cars are fabulous, when I bought my S it was because I wanted to have a daily reminder of something that to me was "excellence personified." A reminder of brilliance in so many different ways.

Every day as I get into my car I think about this. This has an impact on my perspective of the day at hand. That's worth $100k - in fact, it's priceless.

I believe that folks should live within their means. But, I also believe that folks should be pushing the boundaries of said means every day! If you can afford to drive Tesla -  you should. But, you should especially drive Tesla if you cannot afford it!

If you want to be "that guy/girl", just do it. Jump in, and then figure out how to swim. Abundance is everywhere...

Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich :
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

Also I might add @Matt R. @Syed H. @Ben Leybovich  kind of nice to have a conversation about something other than my tenant did not pay what do I do.. or I want to buy that little mid west rental who is a good company to use.. 

I appreciate you exploring this perspective, Jay. It has become increasingly challenging to stay engaged on BP - it's so lopsided. It's like RE is all there is in life.

While the cars are fabulous, when I bought my S it was because I wanted to have a daily reminder of something that to me was "excellence personified." A reminder of brilliance in so many different ways.

Every day as I get into my car I think about this. This has an impact on my perspective of the day at hand. That's worth $100k - in fact, it's priceless.

I believe that folks should live within their means. But, I also believe that folks should be pushing the boundaries of said means every day! If you can afford to drive Tesla -  you should. But, you should especially drive Tesla if you cannot afford it!

If you want to be "that guy/girl", just do it. Jump in, and then figure out how to swim. Abundance is everywhere...

when I bought my S I was not in the market for a car.. I did take a test drive though and really thought they were cool and anyone who appreciates instant acceleration and spirited performance would dig these cars.

So one Sunday morning drinking my coffee and bopping around BP.. I get a e mail from Tesla.. this was in the day they really needed to make numbers.. and they had a special on if I ordered It and took delivery in that quarter so I got a pretty great deal on it.. and just on a whim I bought it that morning on line.. Now granted most folks are not as spontaneous with 75k purchases but I am.. when I decide to buy a new car I go and get it that day usually..  But then I when I got it and drove it and understood everything about it.. I told my Wife the Mercedes SUV is gone I am ordering you a new model X.. LOL.. she needs a bigger car than an S.. so that's how we did it.. now I know like Jason Hartman got an X and he had one with a lot of issues and he made Tesla buy it back.. so not everyone is happy with their teslas..  

Now this Truck that's another matter. I mean come on body that never rusts.. how can anyone up in the rust belt not dig that. ?? price of a fully loaded Camry or Accord.. cheaper than most ICE Trucks with equal specs.. I mean this could actually be the vehicle that Puts Tesla over the top.. the Justice minister of Norway just ordered one.. its on Teslarati today.. So my plan is trade my wifes X in on this one.. Give my wife the X I am taking delivery on today.. and I drive the truck or we fight over who drives it.. but we will use it for our long distance drives with that 500 miles range and carrying capacity as long as it drives nice on the freeway.. I don't like rough riding cars like sports cars I had a Porsche 911 4 S and sold it within 18 months it just road to rough.. and when the clutch went out it was 6k for a new one  :(  

And the Model 3 is cheaper than a chevy Volt and there is no comparison same with the little BMW electric those are like toy cars compared to the Tesla.. 

That's interesting @Jay Hinrichs . It will be interesting to see if flippers and contractors are driving those funky Cyber Trucks in a few years. You know I think Tesla is the most overrated company in the universe but if Elon can really deliver those for $40,000 - it will probably be a winner, we'll see. 

Originally posted by @Jason Hartman :

That's interesting @Jay Hinrichs. It will be interesting to see if flippers and contractors are driving those funky Cyber Trucks in a few years. You know I think Tesla is the most overrated company in the universe but if Elon can really deliver those for $40,000 - it will probably be a winner, we'll see. 

Agreed with those specs and build quality for 40k  nothing can touch it.. I think its just getting over the design which is so rad that its hard for folks to instantly like it.. but like I said you look at new lexus Honda etc they have those front ends that look like sharks teeth and some pretty bold features on the body..    You should get Elon on your podcast !!

I know a few turnkey people who drive nice F-150's that cost $65,000 but we just have to wait and see. Tesla is way behind on their promises so who knows? 

Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich :
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

Also I might add @Matt R. @Syed [email protected] Leybovich  kind of nice to have a conversation about something other than my tenant did not pay what do I do.. or I want to buy that little mid west rental who is a good company to use.. 

Totally agree.

You know i understand it comes from a privileged place when I say this, but money isn’t everything. You don’t have to spend every last penny on rentals or investments. It’s not one or the other. 

I understand a lot of people are just starting out. But there are plenty of us here who work insane hours and make a great living. Can I get away with a cheaper car? Sure. Do I want to? No. People say they dont want to put crap in a $50k+ truck, but if that’s where u spend a lot of ur day, why wouldn’t you want a nice truck?

I feel pretty alone here in this thread but I was really hoping the new Tesla cyber truck would look more like a truck. It looks like it should be driving around on Mars. I thought and was hoping the pictures I saw of the release was a joke. The drive specs are amazing and Tesla vehicles are amazing but the cyber truck looks ridiculous. Rivian is making a really neat truck and suv with great drive specs but has a staring price of $70k which is absurd. That and they are only a concept but have Ford heavily invested. We will see where it goes. 

Originally posted by @Justin Frank :

I feel pretty alone here in this thread but I was really hoping the new Tesla cyber truck would look more like a truck. It looks like it should be driving around on Mars. I thought and was hoping the pictures I saw of the release was a joke. The drive specs are amazing and Tesla vehicles are amazing but the cyber truck looks ridiculous. Rivian is making a really neat truck and suv with great drive specs but has a staring price of $70k which is absurd. That and they are only a concept but have Ford heavily invested. We will see where it goes. 

I think as it relates to this truck or cyber truck is its specs and what it could do for the small contractor and owner operator DIY land lord who hauls stuff around.. I mean sprinter vans while very practical are not all that pretty either LOL.   I cant see how anyone who lives in the rust belt would not appreciate a truck that wont rust. 

@Jay Hinrichs

Can’t argue that Tesla is changing the vehicle industry for the best and you are correct about sprinter vans. The cyber truck looks so hideous that it would definitely be a standout for advertisement/business related purposes. The current Tesla models look so great  in comparison to any electric vehicle by other companies. Heck, the model S or X with the black wheels look better than any passenger vehicle on the road. They are very Modern but not so far outside the box that they look like something from another planet. Specs are great on the cybertruck and it will be a great vehicle but I can’t get over the way it looks. I may end up eating my words and falling in love with it but for now it just looks silly. Lastly, the fact that it won’t rust is huge. My mother lives on the Oregon coast and nothing survives long in that climate. Would love to see my old mother driving a cyber truck lol. 

@Jay Hinrichs

Hate the look, and hate that there isn't a regular steering wheel lol but I understand why they did it.

Having said that, I'm a contractor, realtor, and real estate investor an I've been eager to get an electric truck once I feel the investment makes sense, and the quality of the trucks improved from where they are currently..

I bought a used truck a few years ago for 21k with 40k miles, and I would be happy to sell it and buy a tesla truck within 5 years or so, maybe less.. I think the functionality is exactly what I want and need, and I agree my truck is my biggest expense currently other than materials of course. I'm still a little weary because I think Elon tends to overshoot which is great for productivity within his business, but maybe leads to some over-promising and under-delivering.. so I'm still ok waiting a few years to see what kinks arise, and see how the resolve them.

@Dennis M. Given the surprising positive reaction, I'm expect a couple years of backlog. One would think used Model 3s would be cheaper, but buyers are highly satisfied with them. These cars/trucks update like your phone. There is less reason to buy the latest one as they get better with time. My Tesla was the first new car I've ever bought because I held your same belief. Before deciding just consider the opportunity cost of waiting vs buying sooner/new.

Not a fan of the design of the x or truck... But would love an s or model 3.  I really want the rivian truck and suv to come out, really dig that styling.

I just leases a Hyundai ioniq fully electric, so cheap and drives great. Love the driving the experience of electric vs ICE....and maybe one day can get Tesla. 

For the numbers people....

12k mi yr/3 yr

600 down ( including first month payment )

250 mo (includes tax and excess wear/tear)

500 back from hyundai

800 back PGE

2500 back from state

and I use about 80/mo in electricity for about 1k mi mo..

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here