Telsa Cybertruck the ultimate for the real estate owner operator

194 Replies

@Brent Paul The battery pack is completely different chemistry than a lead acid battery. It has a sophisticated battery management system that keeps the cells at a proper temperature range. Norway is full of Tesla's, so other than a little less range, just like a gas engine, cold shouldn't be an issue to the longevity of the battery.

@Jason Hammond

Battery powered vehicles came out before gas powered vehicles were mass produced in the 1900s. GM had an EV in the 90s until they sold the battery tech to Exxon, who refused to license it for use in transportation to protect the $2B/day oil industry.

Tesla has rapidly developed their battery tech in the last decade and is introducing a 1M battery next year. They also produce more batteries than everyone else combined. So the tech is far from it's infancy. Your beliefs on CO2 and climate change though are infantile.

@Jason Hammond

Battery replacement is not an issue. Do you know anyone who has paid to replace their battery pack? Almost every Tesla on the road today is still under warranty, which far exceeds any combustion engine drivetrain warranty. And the one-million mile battery comes out next year too.

@Ryan Mckimm Excuse me??? Since when did a disagreement in something that many people have varying opinions on turn into name calling? I may be new to the real estate industry, however that does not mean you are excluded from at least a modicum of civility and politeness. 

Carbon is a result. It is not a cause. The actual real science backs that up. I never once said that there isn't a problem, nor did I ever say that as a species we should not strive to treat pur planet better. We are about 2500 years out of the last ice age. There are many cycles that earth has, one of which scientists have estimated as 40 thousand years or so. As we just exited this last ice age, of course the planet is getting warmer! We have all kinds of proof of change in our planet, from underwater cities, to ancient tropical plants found in the ice on Antartica. Just because mankind figured out how to record the weather events and start to track patterns does not mean that any of us (myself included) are experts on what is truly going on with our planet. While we need to treat the planet better, pointing at a carrot on the ground does not always mean there used to be a snowman there.

while I do enjoy a spirited discussion, I do not enjoy a mean spirited one. Let's try to do better next time.

Originally posted by @Syed H. :
Originally posted by @Gary L Wallman:

I love Jay, but I wouldn't buy or drive that piece of junk if it were the only truck available on the planet.  Tesla is an unsustainable business and their cars are junk.  Carbon footprint is worse than a gas truck because the battery is so environmentally dirty.  Loved their video showing their unbreakable windows.  Both broke instantly.  Truck is also ugly as all get out too.
 Love the concept of electric cars.  Unfortunately we are just not there yet technologically speaking. Plus most electricity is coal fired in the US.  Pretty dirty ecologically speaking.  All in my humble opinion.

Your opinion is as biased as Fox News or MSNBC. Technologically speaking, you have no idea what your talking about. 

Of course it's biased it's my opinion. Common theme from the intolerant folks who don't like other folks to have opinions unless they match theirs.  Pretty sure if you have to be a scientist to understand why you should or shouldn't buy a Tesla they are never going to sell too well.

A link from a source that apparently agrees with my take, in case your interested.  
https://investmentresearchdynamics.com/

Originally posted by @Ryan McKimm :

@Jason Hammond

Battery powered vehicles came out before gas powered vehicles were mass produced in the 1900s. GM had an EV in the 90s until they sold the battery tech to Exxon, who refused to license it for use in transportation to protect the $2B/day oil industry.

Tesla has rapidly developed their battery tech in the last decade and is introducing a 1M battery next year. They also produce more batteries than everyone else combined. So the tech is far from it's infancy. Your beliefs on CO2 and climate change though are infantile.

Yeah, they had many electric cars back in the day. I think there were also free charging stations in major cities like NYC had a network of them. It does appear the oil companies have been actively hiding the tech or any new electric engine advancements for the last 100. It took a dude in Cali to make a car in Cali ( which everyone said that was going to be impossible) to realize we may have been fooled about what is actually possible with electric cars. 

Here is the map of charging stations in NYC early 1900s. 

That's what happens when a company that doesn't understand work trucks gets in the game. As I watch the impending fall of my beloved diesel trucks I'm am saddened to think this is where its heading. The thing is, most trucks sold today arent for serious work. Home depot runs on the weekends are about the most demand they see. Work truck like features are the same sales pitch the big 3 diesels use with the torque numbers. People will buy them because of what they can do, not what they will be doing. If Tesla was seriously trying to build a work rig a cargo van like a sprinter would make a lot more sense. Cab and chassis configurations that could be built into box trucks and flatbeds would also work better. This a another luxury rig with manly features. That's where the money is spent on trucks too.

There are specific specs that rigs must meet for section 179 and this probably hits them too. I'd love to see how it tows a loaded trailer or hauls 3k lbs in the bed. Never driven an electric vehicle the the lack of drivetrain loss and instant torque are major pluses.

Originally posted by @Jeff Bousquet :

@Jay Hinrichs

I disagree. The truck cost as much as a down payment for another house. I rather buy another property for more income than a fancy truck. I would feel terrible throwing a used toilet in the back of a 50k truck.

I prefer a used Toyota Tacoma with a 6 foot bed. It's tuff and gets good gas mileage. Solid resale. I don't mind getting it dirty. 

Fully understand .. not every one wants a new vehicle. and this ( I would rather own another home than a this and that vehicle) is a very common theme among many on BP no doubt.  but for those of us to can afford them and have plenty of real estate that adding another one means nothing.. then at some point in your career you choose to spend money on something.. be it vehicle travel nicer house.. anything but another rental.  I am not trying to sell the truck  although you can use my code if you wish when U purchase one.  To me it makes a lot of sense for the many in the real estate business.

Originally posted by @Ned J. :

Its as ugly as sin......looks like a vehicle out of a really bad sci-fi movie that went straight to video...:0

The specs are pretty impressive.....

Any of you Tesla owners had issues with insurance or service on the vehicle when something does happen to it? The company my wife works for will not insure Tesla..... they are VERY hard and expensive to repair...... parts are hard to come but, so if you get in an accident, the repairs can take a LONG time

As for the body..... its one solid piece and almost like an armored vehicle. Modern vehicles are designed to crumple on impact to absorb the energy for both vehicles and occupants. I'm very curious how this will pass safety tests...... getting in a significant accidents will cause the occupants to absorb all that kinetic energy and air bags etc can only mitigate some of that. 

I have heard the same thing. all the more reason to buy this truck its almost indistructable.. watch the video of the guy hitting it with a sledge hammer..  Tesla are the safest cars on the road crash wise and I am sure this truck will be to.

Originally posted by @Karen Margrave :

@Jay Hinrichs boys and their toys! Aside from being completely different than anything every made before, I can see the advantage of them in rural areas, having just had a deer smash into the side of my car a few weeks ago, and in Oregon, there's herds of Elk! However; my son brought up a great point. With the design of the front end, and the trucks basically being armored vehicles, what will happen when they crash into other vehicles that aren't as sturdy? It can be a nightmare, with certain fatalities, and lawsuits ahead. 

I don't know Karen I see this the same way I see someone who drives one of those tiny Fiats or a mini cooper or a smart car.

and they get hit buy a 250 Duramax diesel.. same results.. 

@Benjamin Tighe The luxury truck market is what has the most $$$ potential today.  Elon E-vans come after the electric big rigs I think. I guess what some are not realizing is cost to run day to day is 1/2 the dollars for electrics. Then add in auto pilot, which comes stock. This is a remarkable truck that can haul all the doubters without paying for any gas/diesel. Just wait until Ford/GM no longer sell fuel based trucks, within 10 years is my IMHO prediction. He changed the whole game 100%. Elon is killing the gas auto/truck engines, single handed.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :
Originally posted by @Ned J.:

Its as ugly as sin......looks like a vehicle out of a really bad sci-fi movie that went straight to video...:0

The specs are pretty impressive.....

Any of you Tesla owners had issues with insurance or service on the vehicle when something does happen to it? The company my wife works for will not insure Tesla..... they are VERY hard and expensive to repair...... parts are hard to come but, so if you get in an accident, the repairs can take a LONG time

As for the body..... its one solid piece and almost like an armored vehicle. Modern vehicles are designed to crumple on impact to absorb the energy for both vehicles and occupants. I'm very curious how this will pass safety tests...... getting in a significant accidents will cause the occupants to absorb all that kinetic energy and air bags etc can only mitigate some of that. 

I have heard the same thing. all the more reason to buy this truck its almost indistructable.. watch the video of the guy hitting it with a sledge hammer..  Tesla are the safest cars on the road crash wise and I am sure this truck will be to.

The model S was known to have broken the scale that tests for safety back in 2013. 

"Typically, cars are ranked on a scale of one to five stars. The Model S earned 5.4." 

"Model S performed so well that the government awarded it extra points. "

What happens when a top rocket scientist builds a car/truck. 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/videos/a5238/watch-the-tesla-model-s-break-the-nhtsa-crash-test-scale/

Originally posted by @Matt R. :

@Benjamin Tighe The luxury truck market is what has the most $$$ potential today.  Elon E-vans come after the electric big rigs I think. I guess what some are not realizing is cost to run day to day is 1/2 the dollars for electrics. Then add in auto pilot, which comes stock. This is a remarkable truck that can haul all the doubters without paying for any gas/diesel. Just wait until Ford/GM no longer sell fuel based trucks, within 10 years is my IMHO prediction. He changed the whole game 100%. Elon is killing the gas auto/truck engines, single handed.

Matt,

My worry is the legacy ICE manufactorers are going to do a little bit of what they did back in the gas crisis and diesel became the thing they put out terrible product .. I hope they put out better EV's this time around.. one main issue with the EV's is the dealers don't push them or have not pushed them.. they don't know the product etc.  Tesla in my mind has been a huge disrupter to the dealership network Model. 

I mean in their show rooms the sales folks are there to sell you a car but its nothing like getting worked on a traditional sales lot.. And since the price is the price and their are only 3 or 4 options  Color  interior color  rims  full auto pilot or not.. that's it.. so the process is much easier on everyone.. you either want one and jump on their computer to order it in 5 minutes or go home and order it from your own computer.. I encourage anyone who is curious to just pop on Tesla . com and see how easy it is to buy a new car then compare that with the dealer experience.. 

@Jay Hinrichs I have faith in the big 3,4, 5 engineers here. They were handcuffed and could have built something years ago if not for the handcuffs. Ford has 20 models coming before the cybertruck is ready. The first gens offered were resounding flop from a consumer point of view but that is what happens when you wallow in the mire. The second gens coming idk, might be great, but they still playing 2nd fiddle. Tesla has this E-car brand game on lock down IMO and world wide.

As I recall the original Prius was actually 100% American Tech and old tech at that. 

I'm not doubting the Model S safety test record...... but that car is not a solid piece of material than can withstand a sledge hammer to the side of it.... the other cars are still designed to crumple on impact to absorb the energy rather than the passenger...... the Cypertruck is like driving a solid piece of steel and ramming into a wall...... all the energy is transmitted to the passenger and the other vehicle/object..... that energy has to go somewhere......so I'm really curious how that translates to safety testing

And its not just a matter of safety with the other models...... with most cars a "fender bender" isn't a total loss......and isnt cost restrictive to fix (obviously depends on how bad the damage)...... while the bar for that factor is different for many Tesla models due to cost and availability of parts and labor involved to fix them

@Jay Hinrichs lol the diesel f150 gets over 800 miles per tank, third party tested.

You're not getting anything more reliable than the f150 right now. Their presented prototype even had huge gap and body alignment problems. Never mind the way the entire truck squatted with just a light electric 4wheeler in the back. Around here (new England) Tesla's have trouble maintaining consistent range and performance simply due to weather changes.

Btw....bed covers exist. Buy one.

The Tesla truck is perfect for the person/investor who doesnt have any need for a real pickup truck in the first place :)

Originally posted by @Kyle Poirier :

@Jay Hinrichs lol the diesel f150 gets over 800 miles per tank, third party tested.

You're not getting anything more reliable than the f150 right now. Their presented prototype even had huge gap and body alignment problems. Never mind the way the entire truck squatted with just a light electric 4wheeler in the back. Around here (new England) Tesla's have trouble maintaining consistent range and performance simply due to weather changes.

The Tesla truck is perfect for the person/investor who doesnt have any need for a real pickup truck in the first place :)

Hmmm, if only the new buyers (millennials and below) wanted diesel. That is late 1800s tech and they are taught that. Ford might sell more E F150s than gas F150s before next decade runs out and they know it. The new E Mach Mustang might sell like hotcakes...could be best ESUV ever made. This is not a prototype and sold out already in US. 2021 release. 

Updated 2 months ago

And starting cost more than Tesla base model.

Originally posted by @Kyle Poirier :

Just a couple quick notes.. the truck squatting is a feature it squats on purpose to help ease the loading of the quad.. I ran a quad in the back of my truck for a decade when I was in the timber business.. and having the back of the truck slant down like that is very nice and a big safety feature.. also the cover is bed cover is metal not fabric big difference..  I understand the range degradation in the super cold weather. But its manageable unless maybe your using it for a delivery type truck but for average daily use say 100 miles a day.. you will not have any issues.  At least I have not in the 3 years I have owned mine..  I just drove from Las Vegas to Portland last weekend and when I crossed the Sierras is was 8 degrees out and had no issues from getting from one super charger to the other.. and I my current Tesla X only has 220 miles range.. with the truck if you get extended range you will get 325 to 500.. me I am going for the 500.. 

@Jay Hinrichs

You're making one huge mistake: believing elon musk. You're getting pretty far ahead of yourself, seeing as not even a single one of these has been delivered to a customer.

Safety features? You can steal teslas with a range extender lol.

The truck squatting was absolutely not a safety feature haha are you trolling?

@Kyle Poirier The air suspension was lowered on purpose for ease of loading the quad, like Jay said.

The naysayers doubted the original Roadster, the Model S, the Model 3, and the China Gigafactory was built faster than most people can rehab a house (under a year), and they start one in Germany next year. Meanwhile ever other global car company is closing plants and shedding workers.

I wouldn't doubt the guy that has delivered on everything he's unveiled, including launching and landing the only reusable rockets for a tenth of the cost of the legacy rocket industry.

Maybe

@Jason Hammond It's not a debate amongst 99% of scientist who dedicate their lives to knowledge. Go to NASA.com and see the CO2 readings since the first industrial revolution. We are at an all time high. We can't keep burning fossil fuels. You are buying into the oil industry/ entertainment TV news propaganda. I'm sorry if it offends you, but the nicest way to put it is that they are wrong.

Two items that haven't been addressed are:

1.  Ease of maintenance and repair. What is their repair network like?  The average mechanic can do many repairs on GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Etc.  I've heard people are going to wait for these companies to come out with EV for the maintenance/repair element.

2.  The glass broke in the demo! What else is going to break that they claim won't?

@Ryan McKimm Option B was commercially possible when someone could build it better, faster, stronger and cheaper. The fact that Jay drives from Vegas to Portland for free on autopilot might get some out off the couch with this REI advantage understanding. The cost savings alone suggest a better mouse trap has been built in being less costly and stressful.

Launching rockets and landing same rockets in one piece is actually much more of a serious engineering feat.  That feat was previously considered science fiction even under NASA standards. With that Nasa still has an electric car parked on the moon from 50 years ago, might need batteries. 

Above is a 1982 Exxon internal research report. They were dead on as shown by CO2 levels recorded at the Mauna Loa Observatory, Hawaii. Chosen for it's isolation and altitude. It's not a debate.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here