Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Jason Knight
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
I'm Starting a STR Mastermind - Want to Join?

Jason Knight
  • Los Angeles
Posted Jun 13 2022, 13:38

Hi BP Community,

I have a fantastic general LTR Mastermind group that has been going strong for over a year now and I am looking to add a second mastermind group. This one will be focused entirely on Short term rentals. I just closed on my first one and am in contract for two more. I have been in the process of 1031'ing the C class properties in my portfolio and have been moving these over to STR. I have worked through Avery Carl's system and am looking to implement some of the strategies from "Optimize My AirBnB" as well. Would love to start masterminding with any experience level, I would just ask that you own or are in contract for at least one STR. This will be VIRTUAL over zoom, so you can live anywhere and attend.

Thanks!

Jason

User Stats

Votes
Tim Ryan
  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor
  • Arcadia, CA
Votes |
  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor
  • Arcadia, CA
Replied Jun 13 2022, 13:49
Quote from @Jason Knight:

Hi BP Community,

I have a fantastic general LTR Mastermind group that has been going strong for over a year now and I am looking to add a second mastermind group. This one will be focused entirely on Short term rentals. I just closed on my first one and am in contract for two more. I have been in the process of 1031'ing the C class properties in my portfolio and have been moving these over to STR. I have worked through Avery Carl's system and am looking to implement some of the strategies from "Optimize My AirBnB" as well. Would love to start masterminding with any experience level, I would just ask that you own or are in contract for at least one STR. This will be VIRTUAL over zoom, so you can live anywhere and attend.

Thanks!

Jason

Interesting. I think my wife and I would attend. Send me info. We operate 7 Airbnb's.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Foster
  • Chandler, AZ
Votes |
  • Chandler, AZ
Replied Jun 13 2022, 13:57

Hi Jason,

I would be interested in attending. We operate 11 listings in the Phoenix area.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jun 13 2022, 15:56

I got into short term rentals in 2017, bought 3 single family homes in Scottsdale that I rented out on airbnb from 2017-2020. But sold them all when covid hit. Got spooked and just didn't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

While I don't meet your criteria for owning anything today, I'm actively looking for opportunities again in Scottsdale, AZ and I'm interested in joining the Zoom mastermind sessions.

User Stats

Votes
Sastry Srini
  • Canton, MI
Votes |
  • Canton, MI
Replied Jun 13 2022, 16:23

Yes.. count me in. Have a str and looking to learn self manage. Thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Ludmila Hill
  • Realtor
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Replied Jun 13 2022, 16:24

Hi! I'm interested!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Stebnicki
  • Buford, GA
Votes |
  • Buford, GA
Replied Jun 13 2022, 16:32

Own 2, interested in the group.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Luttrell
  • Lender
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Jun 13 2022, 16:33

Hey Jason, I might be interested in joining

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Avellaneda
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Puyallup, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Puyallup, WA
Replied Jun 13 2022, 16:40

Hi,

I would be interested in possibly joining depending on day/time this would take place. I have 1 STR running and under contract currently for my 2nd.

thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Garrett Kroll
  • Victor, ID
Votes |
  • Victor, ID
Replied Jun 13 2022, 17:13

Interested in potentially joining as well. I own 2 and manage 2 others. 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Knight
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Los Angeles
Replied Jun 13 2022, 17:45

Hi Everyone,

It’s great to see such a response right away. I will PM everyone later tonight to discuss best times for everyone and get this rolling. Talk soon!

Jason

User Stats

Votes
Giani Brussich
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Bedford, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Bedford, NY
Replied Jun 13 2022, 18:46

Hey,

My wife and I own 2 and we are also interested.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Bagi
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jun 13 2022, 19:04

Hi Jason, thank you for putting this together. I'm a new investor and I'm interested in joining as well . 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Misch
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jun 13 2022, 19:50
Quote from @Jason Knight:

Hi BP Community,

Thanks!

Jason

We are just completing the renovation on our first Airbnb and want to have several more and would love to be a part of your mastermind. 

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Lopat
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jun 13 2022, 19:57

I’d be interested as well. Let me know when. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Priscilla Pimienta
  • Tucson, AZ
Votes |
  • Tucson, AZ
Replied Jun 13 2022, 22:07

@Jason Knight I’m getting my first up and running currently. I am interested in joining the zoom call. Thanks

Pris

User Stats

Votes
Lyndsey Garza
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Galveston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Galveston, TX
Replied Jun 13 2022, 22:17

Would love this! Please keep me on the list!!! 

Galveston Vacation Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jason Knight
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Los Angeles
Replied Jun 13 2022, 22:18

After 2 messages, BP started blocking me for "spamming", so . I changed the messages slightly. Then I was blocked because I can apparently only start 10 conversations per day. Please message me directly if you haven't heard from me yet. Please see below an edited version of the message that I likely tried to send you:

Hi Future STR Mastermind Member,

I am copying and pasting this message to everyone because I can’t figure out how to group message in BP and thought this would be quicker. First of all, thanks for your interest in joining this mastermind. I’m excited about the potential to learn from each other!

About me - According to Stessa, my wife and I currently have a real estate investment portfolio valued at $*,***,*** leveraged at $*,***,*** debt (I’m pretty sure Fannie/Freddie will stop loaning to us pretty soon!) with 11 properties (18 units). Due to the run up in the market (and trying our best to buy low), our leveraged asset return currently sits at 38.5%.

Up until recently, we had been buying mostly in C class and doing a lot of reno, so cashflow is another matter altogether. Which brings me to short term rentals. We are thinking that we can trade the amount of effort that we are putting into the C class properties for self managing STR and significantly increase our cashflow while buying in a better class (more appreciation upside). We just closed on one STR and have two more in contract.

We’ve been actively investing for about 2 years and I am still running my other business, so I classify myself at stage 1.5 as a RE investor. I define stage 2 as having a fully leveraged portfolio of (relatively) stable properties. Stage 3 would be financial independence and Stage 4 would be generational wealth.

The Mastermind – In general, I am leaning toward roughly Brandon Turner’s model:

1. Highs and Lows
  2. Topic/Hot Seat
  3. Goals Status

I would recommend one hour and am open to suggestions on this. I would recommend an incentive for attendance in the beginning. My other group puts $20 in a lottery for every absence regardless of reason. Generally, masterminds are best at 5 people, again I’m open to discussion on this.

Meeting schedule – I would recommend the same time once per week. Either mornings or late nights during the week are the best for me.

TO JOIN – PLEASE REPLY WITH YOUR TOTAL AVAILABILITY. You may need to carve out time for this, but I will try to schedule for a day and time that works best for the most people. Once I have a time that at least 5 people can do, I will send this out to those attending with a zoom link.

REMINDER – THIS WILL BE A VIRTUAL MASTERMIND

I look forward to talking to you soon and seeing you in our first mastermind!

Jason

User Stats

Votes
Manny Vasquez#4 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orange County
Votes |
Manny Vasquez#4 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orange County
Replied Jun 13 2022, 22:28

Count me in! I have 9 STR's in OC, LA, and Kern Counties.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Tinning
Pro Member
  • Mukilteo, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Mukilteo, WA
Replied Jun 13 2022, 22:30

@Jason Knight

I own 2 and self manage both from out of state. I also bought through the short term shop and am interested in the mastermind as well.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Knight
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Los Angeles
Replied Jun 13 2022, 22:36
Quote from @Manny Vasquez:

Count me in! I have 9 STR's in OC, LA, and Kern Counties.

@Manny Vasquez  - Please message me with the answers to my follow up post above until I am unspammed by BP to get started.

@Jordan Tinning - Please message me with the answers to my follow up post above until I am unspammed by BP to get started.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Caldwell
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jun 14 2022, 02:32

currently renovating one. would be interested in attending

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Woodson
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Jun 14 2022, 05:40

I would be interested

User Stats

Votes
Ro Rueda
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jun 14 2022, 06:11

Hello, I am interested. Own 1.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Finigan
  • Commercial Real Estate Broker
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Commercial Real Estate Broker
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Jun 14 2022, 10:09

Love it! Count me in, please. I own 1 STR, working on getting my 2nd under contract now. Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Abraham Bar
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Palo Alto, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Palo Alto, CA
Replied Jun 14 2022, 12:03

@Jason Knight