Skip to content
California Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes

Joshua Tree STR Market

Posted Aug 22 2021, 17:45
I'm actively looking for an investment property to use as a short term rental. I am gravitating towards Joshua Tree and the surrounding area but I had a few questions for those with properties and experience out there.

1) There are A LOT of properties out there, do you feel like the area is over-saturated with AirBnbs or are there enough bookings to go around? I've looked in a couple other vacation areas nearby and it doesn't seem any are as lucrative.

2) Do you think Landers and Johnson Valley are too far from the action to make sense? I've run some properties about 30 min north of Joshua tree through AirDNA and they show the same occupancy rate as J Tree, 29 Palms, etc. but when I spoke to a realtor about it, he reccomended against Johnson Valley because of how far it was.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Kudo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Aug 25 2021, 19:30

1) If the property is nice, has the right amenities, photographs well, and is operated properly, you should do fine in Landers and Johnson Valley.

2) I do think people looking to stay closer to the park are going to look at Johnson Valley further down the list but if it comes to it, they will book in Johnson Valley too and there are plenty of people who want to be as far away from other people as possible. LOL! Johnson Valley also has the off-roading crowd that books regularly too. Landers isn't a problem at all.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 16 2022, 19:19

Anyone have any experience running down in Julian?  How do those numbers look?

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 24 2022, 08:34
Quote from @James S Tomaszewski:
I'm actively looking for an investment property to use as a short term rental. I am gravitating towards Joshua Tree and the surrounding area but I had a few questions for those with properties and experience out there.

1) There are A LOT of properties out there, do you feel like the area is over-saturated with AirBnbs or are there enough bookings to go around? I've looked in a couple other vacation areas nearby and it doesn't seem any are as lucrative.

2) Do you think Landers and Johnson Valley are too far from the action to make sense? I've run some properties about 30 min north of Joshua tree through AirDNA and they show the same occupancy rate as J Tree, 29 Palms, etc. but when I spoke to a realtor about it, he reccomended against Johnson Valley because of how far it was.

The thing is people want to go here to have access to the national park. I have two lots with plans that will be approved prior to close of escrow if you or someone you know has any interest in house hacking an Airbnb. The plans Can be modified slightly to convert the primary room of a 4 bedroom unit, to a 3 bedroom with an attached ADU.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied May 14 2023, 20:22

I have heard multiple times that Joshua Tree is saturated.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Kudo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied May 15 2023, 11:02

Depends on the neighborhood and the property-type. It's not a one-size fits all type of market.

Just like any other market, there are nuances.

User Stats

Votes
Mackaylee Beach
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied May 15 2023, 11:17

Hey James,

I know you mentioned Joshua Tree and its surrounding area, but if you ever consider investing in Kansas City I'd love to connect with you!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 8 2023, 14:02

We have a STR in Yucca Valley. It is saturated and bookings are down. We are trying to figure out a way to sell ours. Reach out if you are interested.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 23 2024, 13:46

Are you still looking for a property in Joshua Tree?  

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Hubert
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Feb 23 2024, 07:36

I just got finished building a new construction mid century modern home in Joshua Tree Friendly Hills area....DM me for questions about the property. Click the link for details!

https://redf.in/6YdNoe

Lokation Real Estate Logo