• Brea, CA
Votes |
New member, Whittier CA

Alec Davis
  • Realtor
  • Brea, CA
Posted Aug 24 2016, 20:07

Hello!

I am a 23 Year old business owner who is exited and yearning to lean how to be a Real Estate Investor.  My Fiance and I live in Whittier and are tired of working all the time for what we are achieving.   I have clients in my field (Swimming Pool Repair/Maintenance) who are investors in different aspects of Real Estate. They are smart, wealthy people who have lots of time on their hands to spend with their family.  We want to have this kind of time with each other! I've talked with them enough to realize that I need to look more into this. 

My Fiance and I have been online looking through forums and blogs, we've been to a seminar (Good info, but giant sales pitch!) Were in the process of obtaining a couple consultants or 'mentors' and we are currently looking to go to a REI club meeting.

We are serious about wanting to have a career in Real Estate Investing and want to utilize this tool as well as the plethora of other tools online to hopefully start something sooner than later!  We hope to start in Wholesale,  in order to gain capitol for moving into having 'passive' income through rental properties for a better life and retirement.  Once we have more info and are comfortable with our abilities in estimating repairs from wholesaling, we wish to move onto Rehabbing. 

We understand core basics from our research and the 3 day 8 hour a day seminar...  But we would like to see here what our next step may be, and the next after that.

Any experienced people in Wholesale who can help answer some our beginner questions would be greatly appreciated.  

User Stats

Votes
Martin Zagrzejewski
  • Investor
  • Pearland, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pearland, TX
Replied Aug 24 2016, 20:16

Fire away Alec? What's your questions?

User Stats

Votes
Jo-Ann Lapin
Pro Member
  • Loan Officer
  • Tustin, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Loan Officer
  • Tustin, CA
Replied Aug 24 2016, 21:52

You should go and take Lloyd segal all Saturday course. I think this would be of tremendous value to you. Happy to assist and network

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Nolan
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Carlsbad, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Carlsbad, CA
Replied Aug 24 2016, 21:53

@Alec Davis

Welcome to bigger pockets. Make sure to check out the Bigger Pockets Blog: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/

It is full of great information.

User Stats

Votes
Rita Bock
  • Whittier, CA
Votes |
  • Whittier, CA
Replied Aug 25 2016, 08:47

HI @Alec Davis Welcome to BP!  Me and my husband are from the Whittier area as well just beginning our passion for real estate investing!

User Stats

Votes
Alec Davis
  • Realtor
  • Brea, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Brea, CA
Replied Aug 26 2016, 14:45
Originally posted by @Martin Zagrzejewski:

Fire away Alec? What's your questions?

Martin,

I appreciate your reply.

Right now we are awaiting our literature to arrive in the mail. I'm sure after we have had time to spool through those as well as looking through here we will have more questions. But our first question would be what do you think would be a good first step for us to get acquainted with this industry, and take us one step closer to a wholesale deal? We have had some people tell us to get our real estate licenses, and possibly work for a real estate company to gain experience. Others said not to bother with a license and volunteer with an investor. Others said to read online and well figure it out on our own.

As of right now, I am reading the free online book offered from bigger pockets. This book may answer this question, but any opinions from experienced people can always be a great help in finding our way.

Would it be best for our first client to be more of a 'pre-hab' wholesale, since we wouldn't have to estimate quite so many repairs? Or can our first wholesale experience be a home that doesn't need repairs, but is just a good deal? Or is your opinion to not start in wholesale at all?

We've just had quite a few opinions on where to start, and not sure what would be best for us. Right now we have done a lot of research, but I think we could just use a point in the right direction for us to move forward. What is your opinion?  

Anyone else willing to chime in is appreciated as well!

User Stats

Votes
Alec Davis
  • Realtor
  • Brea, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Brea, CA
Replied Aug 26 2016, 14:46
Originally posted by @Jo-Ann Lapin:

You should go and take Lloyd segal all Saturday course. I think this would be of tremendous value to you. Happy to assist and network

We will look into that!  Thank you for the info!

User Stats

Votes
Alec Davis
  • Realtor
  • Brea, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Brea, CA
Replied Aug 26 2016, 14:49
Originally posted by @Rita Bock:

HI @Alec Davis Welcome to BP!  Me and my husband are from the Whittier area as well just beginning our passion for real estate investing!

Rita,

I'm glad to hear from local people just beginning in this field as we are!  Let's make sure to stay in contact here on bigger pockets, I'd love to see any advancement on your guys part, as well as share any info we can for you in return.  As of right now, we are total beginners!

User Stats

Votes
Alec Davis
  • Realtor
  • Brea, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Brea, CA
Replied Aug 26 2016, 14:51
Originally posted by @Mark Nolan:

@Alec Davis

Welcome to bigger pockets. Make sure to check out the Bigger Pockets Blog: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/

It is full of great information.

I am looking through blogs right now and I see what you mean!  Many of my questions will be answered in these blogs.  Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Martin Zagrzejewski
  • Investor
  • Pearland, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pearland, TX
Replied Aug 26 2016, 16:24

I would honestly say go to some real estate meetings and volunteer your time for an experienced investor.  While getting licensed can be helpful, it's only going to teach you very basic things and some are not related to investing.  That is unless you are just trying to get listings.