• Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Investing in Rental - Sandusky, OH

Daniel Shahmoradian
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Oct 9 2017, 12:17

Hi all, I've got some opportunities in Sandusky, OH and wanted to know if anyone has worked in that area. I'm having a hard time online finding contractors and property managers with good reviews. Just wondering if anyone has worked in that area and what their experiences have been, any referrals appreciated.

Thank you,

Daniel 

User Stats

Votes
Jeff V.
  • Investor
  • Deridder, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Deridder, LA
Replied Oct 9 2017, 13:08

@Daniel Shahmoradian

Use the local resources, call a broker in the area and get some local referrals.  The brokers that also manage rentals, would be a good choice, because they work with contractors to repair rentals and those contractors are used to working with investors.  

Also, the broker may be able to oversee the project or have someone who can PM the project for you.

Either way, nothing to loose by calling.

Hope this helps.

Jeff V

User Stats

Votes
Tracey Thornton
  • Investor
  • Monroeville, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Monroeville, OH
Replied Mar 21 2018, 19:06

i live in sandusky area. Text me if you need more info about the area

four19-901-8626

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Cindy Gunderson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Port Clinton, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Port Clinton, OH
Replied Jun 4 2019, 05:35

Hi Daniel, 

I'm also a local investor in rentals in Sandusky, OH.  I also just obtained my real estate sales licensure, so I'm officially selling properties as well as investing in the area.  Please let me know if you'd like to talk, text, or learn more about buying in the area. 

Cindy 

User Stats

Votes
Alex M.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Feb 23 2020, 08:51

I'm from San Francisco and have 2 rentals in sandusky. It's a tough market because quality of tenants, hard to build a team to trust (contractor,handyman,PM) and the deals are basically C or worse neighborhoods.

i am doing OK there after a tough full rehabs even though I made my own contacts there. I would buy another property there, but I visit once a year since my inlaws are there and I know the area .

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied May 17 2021, 13:57

@Alex M. - I'm looking at Sandusky, Port Clinton and some other northern (to me) cities. I'm curious about your statement that the deals are usually C or worse neighborhoods. Did you mean that what you've purchased has been in C or worse, or are you classifying the whole of Sandusky as C or worse? Are you still in this market?

User Stats

Votes
Ross Boesch
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sandusky, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sandusky, OH
Replied May 17 2021, 14:22

Active Sandusky STR and LTR investor here. Over 50% of the area is rentals and there is a lot of truth the the quality of tenants and the properties. Good contractors are hard to find and keep and PMs are almost non-existent. All that to say, there is money to be made here!

User Stats

Votes
Alex M.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied May 17 2021, 18:45

@bonnielow

I would say most of town is a C area because like it was mentioned, it's a big rental town. Port clinton is nicer but more expensive.

I evicted a guy who overdosed and that's as a first for me and very unusual. But it.still happened!

if.you don't live there or visit often, good luck on remotely rehab because finding help is tough. My properties are stable and producing however.