Skip to content
Ohio Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Steven J. Umaña
  • Attorney
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Are you amending your commercial lease due to COVID-19?

Steven J. Umaña
  • Attorney
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Apr 6 2020, 06:28

Greetings All,

I'm looking for some feedback from the Ohio investor community as to whether you are documenting a change or disruption in terms of your commercial lease due to COVID-19. If so, what types of terms are you incorporating into such an amendment? Thanks in advance. 

Steve

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied Apr 6 2020, 07:23

Not commercial, but I'm considering it and would like to see the responses you receive. I don't know if landlords in general need to because a good lease should really cover any event. At the very least, I don't think I'll ever be able to look at an application again without asking myself if their job is pandemic-proof. 

User Stats

Votes
Steven J. Umaña
  • Attorney
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 9 2020, 10:39

In my recent experience, I've seen amendments to leases drafted to memorialize changes in certain business terms or concessions by the Landlord due to COVID-19 i.e. the Tenant paying certain months' rent in installment payments over the term of the Lease or Landlord concessions being contingent upon the Tenant obtaining relief from the SBA program.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.