Votes
Michael Vaughn
  • Nebraska
Votes |
Understaning how many months a loan has left in tapes

Michael Vaughn
  • Nebraska
Posted May 14 2019, 09:42

Good morning fellow BP investors, I recently started getting tapes with no column that shows the amount of months left for the loan, a crucial bit of information.

If i take the next due date and the maturity date and subtract the two, will that always give me the correct amount of months left? I think it is but i wanna make sure I am not missing anything or there is some condition in which this does not apply.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Deppen
Pro Member
  • Erie, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Erie, CO
Replied May 14 2019, 09:48

I'll subtract the maturity date and next due, but then check it by calculating the remaining payments using the P&I, interest rate and UPB. Sometimes they don't sync and you learn there was a loan mod or something that the seller didn't point out.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Malecki#3 Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes Contributor
  • Investor
  • Kingston, WA
Votes |
Bob Malecki#3 Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes Contributor
  • Investor
  • Kingston, WA
Replied May 14 2019, 11:57

I I would request that data from the person sending you the tape!

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
John Corey
  • London
Votes |
  • London
Replied May 15 2019, 01:23

Complete tangent: I love it that the collection of loan information is called a tape. As if we are still in the magnet tape world when it comes to data transfers. 

Of the phrase, loan book. As if the loans are written down in a book/ledger. Go back long enough and that was how the loans were recorded.

Boy, have things moved on given what we do with the things in our hands. Even when we call them a phone rather than a portable computer.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 15 2019, 14:37

@Michael Vaughn

I do not trust the tape. It is in excel so if you use the NPER formula and put in the interest rate (divided by 12), the payment (negative) and the UPB it will tell you how many payments remain.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Vaughn
  • Nebraska
Votes |
  • Nebraska
Replied May 19 2019, 20:19

Thank you