How to Raise the Rent on a good tenant

How to Raise the Rent on a good tenant

Investor · Cleveland Heights · Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 12 votes

Hello,

I recently bought a property in Cleveland and inherited the tenant.  The tenant is amazing and has been there for a long time, she says she has no plans on leaving.  The property is rented at 850 a month with market rent average at 1300 and she covers all utilities and yardwork.  I don't want to be greedy but also that is a humongous gap. Should I just raise it a little per year to get it closer? How much is fair?

Thanks so much for your input.

-Calum B

2Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Calum Bressington:

...I know I need to do some increase soon without kicking them out.

I think you have the wrong mindset. 

You are losing $450 per month at the current rent rate! If this tenant left and you sat empty for two months, you would lose $1,700. But if you place a tenant at $1,300 a month, you'll make up the loss in four months. Your annual earnings will be $4,500 higher, even with a two-month vacancy.


The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tim DelaneyPro Member
    Buffalo, NY · Member since 2018 · 790 posts · 530 votes
    1y

    I do give tenants discounts for yard work or snow shoveling, but I keep it less than what I would pay a company to do the work.

    As for raising the rent, use the binder method. It has been discussed in the main BP podcast as well as the Rookie show. Basically put together a list of comparable apartments that are currently available for rent. Take those to your tenant and show them what they would be paying if they move. They should be more understanding and willing to pay closer to market rent if they are able to afford it.

  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Calum Bressington, just a few thoughts:

    1. Since you recently bought the property, a tenant is already thinking about a rent increase! So, I would absolutely do one to start setting the expectation. Obviously you may need to wait until their current lease ends unless they are month to month or unless the existing lease allows you to terminate it because of the sale.

    2. Tenants (like most people) often budget to the limit of their income. So, this tenant's budget may well be based off of $850/month rent meaning they may have other obligations such as a larger car payment that they took on because they felt they could afford it. Just because rent prices jump up, doesn't mean a tenants budget suddenly gains flexibility to handle that change.

    3. When rental prices go up quickly like they did in many areas the last few years, that doesn't mean that a tenant's income increases at the same rate in lock-step with inflation. Over time, it should even out but inflation could be 10% in a given year, that doesn't mean EVERY tenant received a 10% pay increase. It might take a few years for their pay to compensate somewhat for a spike in inflation.

    4. Given these things, in a normal circumstance, I try to increase rents 1-3% annually believing that is generally how much rents will increase LONG TERM and that a tenant's pay will likely rise in that range each year on average as well. Even if their pay doesn't increase this is a small enough change for most tenants to adjust to within their budget especially if they come to expect it with their next lease renewal.

    5. 1-3% annual increases might not keep up with rent price increases in the short run. So, when I do have a vacancy/turnover, I will bump the rent up to where I want it to be again.

    6. Even if I have tenants who are further below market rent than I wish they were I do well because I have reduced vacancy/turnover. When a tenant leaves the cost to prep and re-rent the unit are substantial along with the lost rental income during that process.

    7. For your situation, I would explain the situation to the tenant let them know that over time the rent needs to increase to get closer to where it should be.

    I would probably start with 1 somewhat larger initial increase of maybe $75-100 followed by yearly increased of $50 (around 5%).

    If you signed a new lease with a $100 increase today, then when lease renewal came around 1 year from now, you would be up to $1000 with that $50 increase.

    My goal would be to get to maybe $1200 (a little below market rent) if I could make good money with that rent. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    1y

    You can have "good" residents and market rent...no need to settle for one or the other.  I would go to $1,050 in year 1 and $1,250 in year 2 (or something similar) and provide ample notice.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y

    Good points above, but my main point is the same as Mike: there are great tenants that pay market rent.

    You should raise rent on a great tenant the same way you would with a decent tenant or a bad tenant: quickly and professionally.

    Kevin is a smart guy, but I'm afraid I have to disagree with his incremental rent increases. First, you'll lose a ton of money over that period. Second, there's likely to be more confusion or missed increases. Third, the tenant may still be upset even though you are trying to help them. Fourth, the tenant may eventually reach a point where they can't afford the increases and will get behind on rent, stop paying rent, or leave.

    Show them some examples of comparable homes. If they want to stay, verify they can afford it. If they can't/won't pay the increase, reward them with an extra 30 days to move. If they can afford it, reward them by keeping the rent a little low, but no more than 10% below market. In your case, I would raise her to $1,150 - $1,200. If she really is a good person, she'll understand and be appreciate how good she's had it and how much you are rewarding her now.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Tenants live day to day and month to month. Any raise in rent will be a struggle for them and the higher the raise the more likely they are to move out. In this case, the tenant moving wouldn't be that big of a problem since they are so far below market rent. We normally have a max raise of $200 if we want to keep the tenant. We find that $200 is the max that most tenants can take at any given time. 

  • Investor · Cleveland Heights · Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    Thanks for all your insight, I am going to take these strategies and do pros and cons for them but I know I need to do some increase soon without kicking them out.

    Thanks!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Calum Bressington:

    ...I know I need to do some increase soon without kicking them out.

    I think you have the wrong mindset. 

    You are losing $450 per month at the current rent rate! If this tenant left and you sat empty for two months, you would lose $1,700. But if you place a tenant at $1,300 a month, you'll make up the loss in four months. Your annual earnings will be $4,500 higher, even with a two-month vacancy.


    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Calum Bressington:

    Hello,

    I recently bought a property in Cleveland and inherited the tenant.  The tenant is amazing and has been there for a long time, she says she has no plans on leaving.  The property is rented at 850 a month with market rent average at 1300 and she covers all utilities and yardwork.  I don't want to be greedy but also that is a humongous gap. Should I just raise it a little per year to get it closer? How much is fair?

    Thanks so much for your input.

    -Calum B


     If I am trying to avoid a turnover, I keep the increases small.

  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
    1y

    I completely agree and recommend that you talk to the tenant about the current comparable properties. It's no surprise that rental prices have gone up. I would also suggest giving her a heads-up that there will be an increase at the time of her lease renewal.

    This will give her ample time to consider her options and make any necessary arrangements. Open communication is key in maintaining a positive landlord-tenant relationship, and being transparent about potential changes can help avoid misunderstandings. Additionally, offering to discuss any concerns she might have or exploring possible compromises can further demonstrate your willingness to work together for a mutually beneficial outcome.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Calum Bressington:

    Hello,

    I recently bought a property in Cleveland and inherited the tenant.  The tenant is amazing and has been there for a long time, she says she has no plans on leaving.  The property is rented at 850 a month with market rent average at 1300 and she covers all utilities and yardwork.  I don't want to be greedy but also that is a humongous gap. Should I just raise it a little per year to get it closer? How much is fair?

    Thanks so much for your input.

    -Calum B


     Tell them it's going higher, if they do not like it do not renew. Assuming it's a 3 br, you will get 1500 NOT 1300. 850 is VERY low. I'm getting 900 for 1 brs in the hood. 1700 in Lee Harvard 

  • Property Manager · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2024 · 60 posts · 39 votes
    1y

    Give them ample notice you're raising rents to market price. Show them all the examples of properties that are at this same price.

    There are awesome tenants at market rent. In fact, this exact tenant who is at $850/mo was once at market price. Just nobody raised rents on them, and now it's your issue.

  • Jake KnightPro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis · Member since 2017 · 303 posts · 146 votes
    1y

    Some interesting takes on here and it's a really subjective thing.  You'll have to find your comfort level on how you want to manage it.  If you look at things through a financial lens, follow Nathan's advice.  If you don't want to rock the boat, you can raise it over time.  If you go to that tenant with a $300-$400 it's almost certain they will leave.  I imagine Cleveland is fairly seasonal so she would be moving during your slow season. It may not be a bad idea to have a real conversation with the tenant and educate them on your plans and how far below market they are.    Best of luck!

  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Calum Bressington
    Your better off kicking them out turning the unit and re-renting to someone that meets your  requirements and can afford market rent 

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Calum Bressington

    I'd go $75/year. I've bought 18 SFR with inherited tenants WAY below market rent. I raise it fairly aggressively over the first 3 years. Then go easy on them. I tell them all they can stay here forever. However, I have a mortgage payment that is much higher than the previous owner so I can't lose money. They all understand and have stayed with me. These people know what market rent is. I will usually lob out what market rent is in case they don't know. And I offer to fix anything or do updates as soon as I buy the properties. I rarely ever have turnovers which saves me tens of thousands. Keep your tenants happy, and they'll stay forever. :)

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 9 votes
    1y

    Hey Calum, great question! 
    I think the key is to do it in a way that feels fair to both sides. As a general rule, many landlords raise rent 3-5% per year, which is a more gradual and manageable increase.  This approach lets you get closer to the market rate over time without shocking the tenant, especially since she’s been a good tenant.

    It’s also a good idea to explain to the tenant that you’re trying to bring the rent in line with current market conditions, and if she’s open to a longer-term lease, you could even keep the rent at the current level for another year. The last thing I would want to do is upset a tenant that is paying on time.  Keeping the increase reasonable and communicating openly can help maintain a good relationship while still addressing the rent gap over time, just be honest with them and maybe present some comparisons. I'm sure at this point they know what a stellar deal they are getting, its only a matter of time before the rent rises. 

    Considering you have just bought this property and inherited the tenant, I would also consider finding some ways to be in good standing with them before proposing the rent increase, they might not take it so harshly. Best of luck! 

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hey @Calum Bressington - it's not being greedy, it's adjusting the rent to keep up with market rents. 

    By the time you raise it bit by bit, the new "market" rent will probably have surpassed the $1300 mark lol. 

    Likely your tenant is already aware of this, but I understand its a sensitive topic and a big jump as well - if they've been a good tenant so far, it could be worth it to have a convo of raising the rent but giving a discount for them taking care of XYZ on your property/ies. 

  • Member since 2022 · 66 posts · 68 votes
    1y
    Every year, the local Housing Authority in my neighborhood issues a market rate report for apartments, listing fair market rents for studio, 1br, 2,3 br etc.  I use those as a guide and reference for tenants.

    That said, I do have some tenants below market rate.  I have my reasons, but raising rents is always necessary over time because expenses go up. If I stay low on rents, I'm saying it's ok for me to take a pay cut.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.