Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Wholesaling
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Am i fine if the seller gives me a contract?

Luis Barba-Ayala
Posted Dec 7 2022, 11:11

Hello Everyone,

There's land that I am interested in getting under contract but the seller wants to draft their own contract. He did not specify the kind of contract it is but I'm assuming it is a for-sale-by-owner contract. Would I still be able to have them sign the assignment contract? I am confused as to why they are drafting their own contract if I am not going to be the end buyer of the property. Should I put the cash buyer as the buyer on the contract or am I fine with signing the contract myself? I just do not want a problem with selling the property to happen and for it to turn into a legal matter against me. Please let me know your thoughts about this matter. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I am new to wholesaling as well as BP. I have been inspired by the information that has been shared through BP to start my journey in the wholesaling world. I learned about BP when I was doing research on wholesaling to teach myself what was needed to succeed. I currently am in the process of getting a few properties in the Houston area under contract.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Carillo
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Replied Dec 7 2022, 11:38

@Luis Barba-Ayala

You will most likely want to use your own contract (that is assignable). I would also be honest with them about your intentions.

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Dec 7 2022, 11:45

Ditto to what @Charles Carillo mentioned as it avoids any surprises down the line. You shouldn't have to hide anything since the seller will still get the same price that you both agreed on. It could also be the norm for the seller to send out the contract in the market you're in. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 7 2022, 22:18

Depends what state you're in. In Texas all contracts are assignable unless stated other wise. Worst case you double close 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Dec 8 2022, 04:01

@Luis Barba-Ayala

Do they know you are wholesaling the deal?

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Messinger
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Votes |
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Replied Dec 8 2022, 06:03

Hey @Luis Barba-Ayala

In these types of situations I'd have your attorney review the paperwork to make sure everything that is happening is the norm in the market you're in... Love @Charles Carillo & @Mohammed Rahman responses to this one! 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Morrow
Agent
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
Agent
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Jan 17 2023, 17:46

Use your own contract for sure. Explain that although he may want to use his own- you’re the one who has the exposure and needs protection when finding the end buyer. 

A for sale by owner would run into the same scenario and be expected to use a RE contract with a represented buyer so it would be the same with you. 

Good luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan R McLaughlin
Pro Member
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Replied Jan 17 2023, 17:56

@Luis Barba-Ayala looks like you are in a negotiation, proceed accordingly.

User Stats

Votes
Lydia R.#4 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Austin TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Austin TX
Replied Apr 1 2023, 18:47
Quote from @Luis Barba-Ayala:

Hello Everyone,

There's land that I am interested in getting under contract but the seller wants to draft their own contract. He did not specify the kind of contract it is but I'm assuming it is a for-sale-by-owner contract. Would I still be able to have them sign the assignment contract? I am confused as to why they are drafting their own contract if I am not going to be the end buyer of the property. Should I put the cash buyer as the buyer on the contract or am I fine with signing the contract myself? I just do not want a problem with selling the property to happen and for it to turn into a legal matter against me. Please let me know your thoughts about this matter. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I am new to wholesaling as well as BP. I have been inspired by the information that has been shared through BP to start my journey in the wholesaling world. I learned about BP when I was doing research on wholesaling to teach myself what was needed to succeed. I currently am in the process of getting a few properties in the Houston area under contract.

You definitely want to write up your own contract. There is something more to this story because no seller offers to write up the agreement unless they are a real estate professional in some capacity. Also, you might want to brush up on the process so you dont make a costly mistake. Seller does not sign the assignment agreement. The seller only signs the purchase agreement. Your end buyer signs the assignment agreement. 

The entire blueprint of wholesaling is for you to put yourself in the contract as the buyer and that assign that equitable interest to an end buyer. If you just put the end buyers name on the contract you dont get paid a wholesale fee. You basically just found the end buyer a deal for free. There is no such thing as risk free real estate investing. There is always a risk. In wholesaling the risk is minimal compared to other strategies but there is still a risk. If you arent willing to take that risk, then you need to reconsider real estate investing and consider something else. If you write and execute your contracts properly and conduct yourself with integrity  you will be protected from facing any legal issues

User Stats

Votes
Lileth Nelson
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 1 2023, 21:43

Hi there, are you working with a Realtor?  They will help with your contracts.

Best wishes.