Quit My Job and Plan to Wholesale

Quit My Job and Plan to Wholesale

Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes

Hi All! I had to share. Against all conventional advice and wisdom, I've just quit my job. My fiance's job brings enough for us to cover are needed expenses and I have about a year's worth of savings built up on top of that. I have not done any deals yet but am planning to get into wholesaling ASAP. Just wanted to share. I'm going all in!

94Reply
1,583 views

Most Popular Reply

Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y

What was your job?

Im always so confused by these, at what point did your job prevent you from doing a deal? Was it not possible to do both?

I guess depending on what the job was then maybe that plays into it some...but curious of the thought process on this..

See this reply in the discussion

556 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    8y

    Update: Day #3 - It's all "ugly."

    Check out my Profile on BP now ladies and gents! There's a company page now and it's all ugly!

    I've created the following for my pending LLC/business that I filed 2 days ago. Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook Page, 2 Motivated Seller sites, 1 Cash Buyer site (Yes, you can sign up now!), Google+, YouTube channel (though I can't get that one to link up on BP yet for some reason...). Everything still needs to be updated, added to, and tweaked.

    I've created a logo (will likely tweak this). Read more posts/forums about related topics. Read and responded to you lovely people, both publicly and privately. Watched YouTube videos and begun SEOing my pages. And I even managed a nap while my toddler slept - I've been up at night working/reading, too excited to sleep.

    Have a long way to go in continuing to build up my online presence and rank up on Google BUT the foundation is being laid. (p.s. I don't want to be ranked high on Google at the moment. Like I said, it's all ugly.)

    I want to personally thank @Jerryll Noorden and themightyinvestor.com for pointing me in the right direction. I'll try not to copy you too much, haha!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Yoni R.:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

    Don't confuse hard work and dedication with dumb luck!

     You are right. If I tell you to join a race and you have no idea what direction you are running in your dedication and hard work will get you very far. Only problem is that it will probably be in the wrong direction :-)

    She has gotten an LLC,

    She has gotten 3 websites

    She has gotten a Google Number,

    She is following a guide that I gave her how I did it...

    she is learning how to do Direct mail marketing

    She is about  to find an investor friendly attorney

    She is about to learn how to find buyers and populate a buyers list.

    she is....

    I really don't understand why you keep assuming you know her, know what she is doing, why you assume she has no plan..

    but ok.. your opinion here really doesnt affect anyone honestly.  

    She is on the way to a great start, no matter what anyone here says.. so... what the heck are we debating here again?

    she did all this in 1 day? 2 days? How many of you newbie wholesalers with a job... have done all this in one day?

    So say what you will.. she quit her job and she is already way ahead of so many other wannabees with a job looking to do this for years now, but just don't step up.

    I SERIOUSLY have no idea what grounds you are defending... but ok..

    Oh and I've already got a local, experienced, wholesaler friendly attorney - got him a while back. And also a few buyers - mostly from this post. 

    Marketing will likely commence in the next week or 2. Want to make sure I look good online first though. :)

  • Yoni R.Pro Member
    Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 22 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Yoni R.:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

    Don't confuse hard work and dedication with dumb luck!

     You are right. If I tell you to join a race and you have no idea what direction you are running in your dedication and hard work will get you very far. Only problem is that it will probably be in the wrong direction :-)

    She has gotten an LLC,

    She has gotten 3 websites

    She has gotten a Google Number,

    She is following a guide that I specifically wrote how I did it.

    I really don't understand why you keep assuming you know her, know what she is doing, why you assume she has no plan..

    but ok.. your opinion here really doesnt affect anyone honestly.  

    She is on the way to a great start, no matter what anyone here says.. so... what the heck are we debating here again?

    We wish her the best of luck. If you are mentoring her and you have the experience to do so then that is great. She just needs to make sure that there is an actionable plan in place and enough knowledge to get started prior to doing something like this. If there is a good reason to immediately quit her job at this stage as part of a structured plan then that is fine. 

    Nobody obviously knows her personally so we don’t know her situation. To open up an llc, buy a domain and read an ebook usually does not yet require you to quit your job... But as you said to each his own. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Update: Day #3 - It's all "ugly."

    Check out my Profile on BP now ladies and gents! There's a company page now and it's all ugly!

    I've created the following for my pending LLC/business that I filed 2 days ago. Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook Page, 2 Motivated Seller sites, 1 Cash Buyer site (Yes, you can sign up now!), Google+, YouTube channel (though I can't get that one to link up on BP yet for some reason...). Everything still needs to be updated, added to, and tweaked.

    I've created a logo (will likely tweak this). Read more posts/forums about related topics. Read and responded to you lovely people, both publicly and privately. Watched YouTube videos and begun SEOing my pages. And I even managed a nap while my toddler slept - I've been up at night working/reading, too excited to sleep.

    Have a long way to go in continuing to build up my online presence and rank up on Google BUT the foundation is being laid. (p.s. I don't want to be ranked high on Google at the moment. Like I said, it's all ugly.)

    I want to personally thank @Jerryll Noorden and themightyinvestor.com for pointing me in the right direction. I'll try not to copy you too much, haha!

     Don't use "Maryland estates" as your logo.

    Your logo needs to immediately  show what you do. You buy houses in Maryland right? So Your logo needs to reflect that! No rush to change this as you yet don't really exist on google. But start coming up with something crisp, unique and memorable.

    All the logos you see are often  some roof/house silhouette with the name underneath. EVERYONE has that. It is just not too smart to do that. You are simply not memorable. If anyone sees my logo they immediately say "ohh its those guys". Clean simple crisp and it has a fun little meaning Find something like that of your own design! stand out!

    My actual logo is actually my domain name. How much more blunt and clear can you get?!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Yoni R.:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Yoni R.:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

    Don't confuse hard work and dedication with dumb luck!

     You are right. If I tell you to join a race and you have no idea what direction you are running in your dedication and hard work will get you very far. Only problem is that it will probably be in the wrong direction :-)

    She has gotten an LLC,

    She has gotten 3 websites

    She has gotten a Google Number,

    She is following a guide that I specifically wrote how I did it.

    I really don't understand why you keep assuming you know her, know what she is doing, why you assume she has no plan..

    but ok.. your opinion here really doesnt affect anyone honestly.  

    She is on the way to a great start, no matter what anyone here says.. so... what the heck are we debating here again?

    We wish her the best of luck. If you are mentoring her and you have the experience to do so then that is great. She just needs to make sure that there is an actionable plan in place and enough knowledge to get started prior to doing something like this. If there is a good reason to immediately quit her job at this stage as part of a structured plan then that is fine. 

    Nobody obviously knows her personally so we don’t know her situation. To open up an llc, buy a domain and read an ebook usually does not yet require you to quit your job... But as you said to each his own. 

     I understand the points you are trying to make and as I said. I get it. I also know you have the best wishes for her.  I am not her mentor. I just help everyone and anyone that can show me they are not going to give up, friend or foe alike, even if you are a competitor.

    I agree with all the points you are trying to make, I just don't agree with them applying here, but that is cool.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    8y

    @Yoni 

    @Yoni R. - "If she has a solid plan that there is a specific reason why she is quitting her job immediately then fine. But in no way did she describe that in any of the posts. She just wants to quit because she wants to wholesale. And besides the definition of the word and reading a few blogs about wholesaling she doesn’t really have real knowledge about the business. That is not an actionable plan."

    My friend, you clearly did not scour this thread and read ALL of my posts. Can't blame you, there's a lot of them. However, your statements lead me to believe that you really didn't read much of anything I posted here. Frankly most, if not all, of what you have stated here has been addressed by me personally throughout this thread. 

    Thank you and good day! 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Update: Day #3 - It's all "ugly."

    Check out my Profile on BP now ladies and gents! There's a company page now and it's all ugly!

    I've created the following for my pending LLC/business that I filed 2 days ago. Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook Page, 2 Motivated Seller sites, 1 Cash Buyer site (Yes, you can sign up now!), Google+, YouTube channel (though I can't get that one to link up on BP yet for some reason...). Everything still needs to be updated, added to, and tweaked.

    I've created a logo (will likely tweak this). Read more posts/forums about related topics. Read and responded to you lovely people, both publicly and privately. Watched YouTube videos and begun SEOing my pages. And I even managed a nap while my toddler slept - I've been up at night working/reading, too excited to sleep.

    Have a long way to go in continuing to build up my online presence and rank up on Google BUT the foundation is being laid. (p.s. I don't want to be ranked high on Google at the moment. Like I said, it's all ugly.)

    I want to personally thank @Jerryll Noorden and themightyinvestor.com for pointing me in the right direction. I'll try not to copy you too much, haha!

     Don't use "Maryland estates" as your logo.

    Your logo needs to immediately  show what you do. You buy houses in Maryland right? So Your logo needs to reflect that! No rush to change this as you yet don't really exist on google. But start coming up with something crisp, unique and memorable.

    All the logos you see are often  some roof/house silhouette with the name underneath. EVERYONE has that. It is just not too smart to do that. You are simply not memorable. If anyone sees my logo they immediately say "ohh its those guys". Clean simple crisp and it has a fun little meaning Find something like that of your own design! stand out!

    My actual logo is actually my domain name. How much more blunt and clear can you get?!

     I love your logo by the way! And yes, mine will definitely need some adjustments!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    8y

    Update: Day #3 - It's all "ugly."

    Check out my Profile on BP now ladies and gents! There's a company page now and it's all ugly!

    I've created the following for my pending LLC/business that I filed 2 days ago. Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook Page, 2 Motivated Seller sites, 1 Cash Buyer site (Yes, you can sign up now!), Google+, YouTube channel (though I can't get that one to link up on BP yet for some reason...). Everything still needs to be updated, added to, and tweaked.

    I've created a logo (will likely tweak this). Read more posts/forums about related topics. Read and responded to you lovely people, both publicly and privately. Watched YouTube videos and begun SEOing my pages. And I even managed a nap while my toddler slept - I've been up at night working/reading, too excited to sleep.

    Have a long way to go in continuing to build up my online presence and rank up on Google BUT the foundation is being laid. (p.s. I don't want to be ranked high on Google at the moment. Like I said, it's all ugly.)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Yoni R.:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

    Don't confuse hard work and dedication with dumb luck!

     You are right. If I tell you to join a race and you have no idea what direction you are running in your dedication and hard work will get you very far. Only problem is that it will probably be in the wrong direction :-)

    She has gotten an LLC,

    She has gotten 3 websites

    She has gotten a Google Number,

    She is following a guide that I gave her how I did it...

    she is learning how to do Direct mail marketing

    She is about  to find an investor friendly attorney

    She is about to learn how to find buyers and populate a buyers list.

    she is....

    I really don't understand why you keep assuming you know her, know what she is doing, why you assume she has no plan..

    but ok.. your opinion here really doesnt affect anyone honestly.  

    She is on the way to a great start, no matter what anyone here says.. so... what the heck are we debating here again?

    she did all this in 1 day? 2 days? How many of you newbie wholesalers with a job... have done all this in one day?

    So say what you will.. she quit her job and she is already way ahead of so many other wannabees with a job looking to do this for years now, but just don't step up.

    I SERIOUSLY have no idea what grounds you are defending... but ok..

    Oh and I've already got a local, experienced, wholesaler friendly attorney - got him a while back. And also a few buyers - mostly from this post. 

    Marketing will likely commence in the next week or 2. Want to make sure I look good online first though. :)

     You are seriously doing fantastic. 

    OK so I have always said

    SEO (what ever it is that gets you in front of the people) + Credibility = Deals

    You will start with DMM so don't worry about the "SEO" for the first deal.

    Indeed work on the "Credibility" side of your website! Put some pictures of you up, you beating the hell out of a cockroach with a stick... it doesnt matter.. just get yourself on there and show of your you. 

    Once you are credible, you are ready for DMM

    (find buyers right now!)

  • Middletown, NJ · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    @Melanie Hartmann I give you a lot of credit. I am wholesaling and working full time and I wish I had more time to wholesale because I love real estate. Good Luck and definitely keep in touch!!
  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Any input on where to have logo done? Been tossing the idea of 99logos but it's way cheaper on fiverr or similar...

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Matt K.:

    Any input on where to have logo done? Been tossing the idea of 99logos but it's way cheaper on fiverr or similar...

     Came across Canva in a blog or post somewhere last night. I plan to use that for my blog once I get that up and running. For the actual company logo, I do believe fiverr might be the route I try next.

  • Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Best of luck!! i hope you will succeed.

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    8y
    @Melanie Hartmann I’m so surprised at some of the negative comments on here. I read a little about your situation and it makes sense to me. Yeah it would’ve been great if you started wholesaling while working but what everyone isn’t considering is that once you get home from work you have to cook, clean and take care of your kids. By the time they‘re in bed then you have to start looking for deals. You’d be exhausted at that hour. I don’t have kids yet but I come home from work to do the other chores then sit and look for deals for my rental property portfolio. I wish I could be doing this all day! Imagine how much more effective you’ll be working on wholesaling for 8 hours versus maybe 1 or 2 at night when you’re tired. I applaud you and hope it works out! If it doesn’t, well you can get another job like you said or change strategies. But at least you’re going for it!! Please keep me posted and add me to your buyers list :) feel free to add me as a connection and PM me. Rooting for you!!
  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    @Melanie Hartmann GO GIRL! Don’t let no one stop you reading a few comments they are more negative than positive! You can do it
  • Real Estate Agent · Astoria, NY · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 55 votes
    8y

    My two cents: If you have safety nets in place, and a year of savings, then jump into an aspect of real estate or investing that has bigger profit margins and is more time-effective than wholesaling. You have enough capital to reasonably become a successful agent or get into other types of real estate investing that pay better dividends and require less effort. Wholesaling is very time-intensive, and very low paying. The margins are slim, and you bust your butt and expend a lot of time and effort to eke out a few dollars. You said it yourself: go big or go home! But wholesaling is going small!

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

    Hi All! I had to share. Against all conventional advice and wisdom, I've just quit my job. My fiance's job brings enough for us to cover are needed expenses and I have about a year's worth of savings built up on top of that. I have not done any deals yet but am planning to get into wholesaling ASAP. Just wanted to share. I'm going all in!

    Sometimes you just have to go with your gut. Go for it Melanie! Squelch out the detractors and go for it full force. There will ALWAYS be naysayers when making a major decision. Plus you have a really good safety net on top of it, so your risk is definitely minimized..Good Luck from a fellow Baltimorian Wholesaler.

  • Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    @Melanie Hartmann I want to go the same, maybe we can work together I'm looking for hard money leader would you happen to know any in the mpls mn area?
  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Yoni R.:
    @Melanie Hartmann I think you are getting the signals that many experienced real eatate investors here are telling you mixed up. Everyone is pretty much telling you that it is a great aspiration and if that is what you want to do then you should do it. But, if you read into what most of the experienced investors are telling you it is to only start doing this with an in depth education in wholesaling, solid game plan, timeline and budget in place prior to setting off on this adventure. Self confidence is great when it is backed by experience and knowledege. But when it is blind confidence due to thinking that you can do anything because you are you it becomes a very dangerous attribute. “A goal without a plan is just a dream”. There is no good reason to quit your job if you are doing it just because you want to wholesale. It is even probably a bad idea if that is the reason. It definitely will not help start your new wholesaling profession.

    Im sorry but there is such a thing as overthinking something,there is a difference between jumping in without a paddle and jumping in and swimming for the paddle that you can see

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
    Originally posted by @Lesli Watson:

    Hey @Melanie Hartmann!!! My husband referred me to this thread b/c he noticed it was getting so much negativity and he thought you might need a little ENCOURAGEMENT!!!!! YOU GO, GIRL!!!! I'm doing the same thing as you and I'm 1 month in and on the precipice of my first deal!!! It can be done and with the right attitude and work ethic you WILL be successful! The key for me is to remember through all the rejections there will be those people that I can truly help out of a distressed time! One really helpful thing that I have done is join my local Real Estate Investors Club. Those are like-minded folks that have a FB group and meet regularly and befriending them has provided me leads and even partners on deals! Best thing I've done for my wholesaling business so far! Hang in there and tell me when you close your first deal!!! It's exciting and fun! YOU CAN DO IT!

    That's awesome Leslie! Haha and so kind of your husband too! I really do plan to make this work. I'm excited to hear that, overall, it's going well for you. Now that I no longer have that job, I'll actually have time to go to the my local REIA meetings and such. I've been wanting to for MONTHS! Now, I can. That does seem to be the next Big step for me that I get to take now. I'm pumped! Glad to hear that the REI groups have helped! I was hoping that would be the case.

    Melanie -- GO TO A REIA! Its incredible what you can learn there from like mided people as well as potentially meet many great connections in the business. I had to push myself to go to my first REIA because im not great at social events but it was really an eye opener.. look at MAREIA and Baltimore REIA.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Rodney Owens:
    @Melanie Hartmann I want to go the same, maybe we can work together I'm looking for hard money leader would you happen to know any in the mpls mn area?

     Hi Rodney, I do not know anyone out that way. Maybe check around on BP for someone?

  • Investor · St Louis MO · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Become WHOLESALE! You can do this!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Ned Carey:

    @Melanie Hartmann I can't recommend you or anyone else do what you did. The reason is, statistically you will fail. 

    However I can also tell you that, people who try to keep one toe in the water as a safety net fail at even greater rates. People who go all in like you tend to be more successful because they don't have another option. You become successful because you have to.

    There are lots of active members here from Baltimore to network with and lots of investing groups in the baltimore area. Search here for the Friday landlord lunch which is one of the best groups for networking

     I like this feller!

    And not just because he has a beard!

     Jerryll  I am nominating you for a pod cast  @Mindy Jensen   you can talk about your SEO which I don't understand but maybe you can teach others.. and watching your rise.. your the essence of the BP.    but I knew that between the robotics and other stuff I could not figure out what you mean.. your a driven dude.. and I was one of the first to give you a little bit of tough love.. but once you cracked the code your a winner.. but then again you would win at any sales and marketing you just happened to chose real estate.

  • Real Estate Broker · IL · Member since 2016 · 284 posts · 178 votes
    8y

    Did you build your website yourself?

    Never give up on your dreams! Push hard as you can!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 265 posts · 387 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Burtle:

    Did you build your website yourself?

    Never give up on your dreams! Push hard as you can!

    Thank you Derrick!

    And absolutely not! That alone would probably take me a year, haha.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.