Quit My Job and Plan to Wholesale

537 Replies

Originally posted by @Ned Carey :

@Melanie Hartmann I can't recommend you or anyone else do what you did. The reason is, statistically you will fail. 

However I can also tell you that, people who try to keep one toe in the water as a safety net fail at even greater rates. People who go all in like you tend to be more successful because they don't have another option. You become successful because you have to.

There are lots of active members here from Baltimore to network with and lots of investing groups in the baltimore area. Search here for the Friday landlord lunch which is one of the best groups for networking

I like this feller!

And not just because he has a beard!

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden :
Originally posted by @Yoni Ramras:
@Melanie Hartmann I think you are getting the signals that many experienced real eatate investors here are telling you mixed up. Everyone is pretty much telling you that it is a great aspiration and if that is what you want to do then you should do it. But, if you read into what most of the experienced investors are telling you it is to only start doing this with an in depth education in wholesaling, solid game plan, timeline and budget in place prior to setting off on this adventure. Self confidence is great when it is backed by experience and knowledege. But when it is blind confidence due to thinking that you can do anything because you are you it becomes a very dangerous attribute. “A goal without a plan is just a dream”. There is no good reason to quit your job if you are doing it just because you want to wholesale. It is even probably a bad idea if that is the reason. It definitely will not help start your new wholesaling profession.

I think it is you that is not getting the message here.

Her like me KNOW it is dangerous, and we KNOW it may not be the "safest thing to do. Yes yes YESSS we get that .. we get this.

What she is saying, is she WILL risk it, knowing the possibilities of failure and simply give it all she's got. 

I did it that way ad because of SIMPLY THAT, just and simply BECAUSE of that huge risk, I had to step up. I couldn't afford to be lazy like my competitors,  I had to make it happen or else..

When my competitors were watching TV with a beer in their hand I was SEO'ing. When they were pooping, I was SEO'ing (while pooping).

When they were sleeping at 10PM, I was SEO'ing.

If I had a job, and did it the  "safe way" with a job still, I would not have been doing all this... get it?

YES we get and see your point, .. now see mine (hers).

You can do it the "right" safe, way... or you can know your worth, know you are smarter, work harder and better than those idiot lazy dumb competitors and crush it !

I chose the latter, and apparently, so is she.

BTW, you don't become a surgeon only after you study the theory. You need to DO it to get it. You learn by doing. That is why they poke frogs and stuffs.

Believe me.. if YOU had wholesaled  you would know beyond a doubt, you don't "learn" how to wholesale and get good at it... BEFORE you actually wholesale. You learn how to do it after you MAKE your first deal and you experience all the flaws of that first experience and then you know the steps, the procedure, then you tweak... and tweak.. and tweak, till you find your perfect system.

I think it is great that you are successful at your job and that you have a lot of grit and worked harder than the competition. That has nothing to do with the subject or what I wrote about though. Because you started your wholesale business with no education, experience and plan and were able to succeed does not mean that this is a good plan. To bet $100 on red and win does not make it a good plan. It just makes it a blind gamble. 

If she wants to quit her job because she feels like it then that is great. If she is quitting her job because she thinks it will help her with starting to gain knowledge and experience in wholesaling then she is probably wrong. 75% of what she needs to do can be done without quitting her job. And if we are talking about grit than nothing will happen to put in the extra grit for the first 6 months during her free time, doing the work and gaining the knowledge after work, during breaks and on weekends. The quitting part is the easy part. The determination and persistence even when things are tough at the beginning is the hard part. Besides having some money in the bank, not liking her job and reading a few website blogs about wholesaling it doesn’t really sound like there is any plan or strategy in place. 

I am all for Financial Independence and I think that her mind set is definitely on track in the right direction. I also definitely think that she should do it but responsibly. It just needs to done with a solid plan. “I want to wholesale” is not a solid plan. 

Originally posted by @Yoni Ramras :

I think it is great that you are successful at your job and that you have a lot of grit and worked harder than the competition. That has nothing to do with the subject or what I wrote about though. Because you started your wholesale business with no education, experience and plan and were able to succeed does not mean that this is a good plan. To bet $100 on red and win does not make it a good plan. It just makes it a blind gamble. 

Thank you!

But Dude, No one mentioned a "plan". I never said "it is a good plan".  I never said "because I did it and it worked for me it WILL also work for you". I never said I did it so you should too. I said.. if you want to quit your job because you want to focus on  this and give it your 300% FRECK heah! It is risky but if you feel that you can make it, I support you big time!  WHY? Because I KNOW it is possible.. because I did it too!

Big difference. Get it?

You:

If she wants to quit her job because she feels like it then that is great. If she is quitting her job because she thinks it will help her with starting to gain knowledge and experience in wholesaling then she is probably wrong. 75% of what she needs to do can be done without quitting her job. 

Wrong. That is YOUR opinion.. and based on what?! YOUR life? YOUR situation? YOUR background? YOUR assumptions on what she can and can't do? No no my friend.. totally wrong.  Wrong seriously!

Let me give you some perspective WHY I KNOW you are wrong. 

So assumption.. according to you then, what applies to her applies to everyone in that position (otherwise you wouldn't tell her you are going to fail (most likely) without knowing much about her at all. So my assumption is founded!

If that is the case, then your sayings would also apply to.. let's say.. me! OK so far all logical steps!

75% of what she needs to do can be done while having a job. Thus, this equals to:   75% of what I  need to do can be done while having a job.

OK, now lets disprove this shall we:

Do you know what MY job was? I make paraplegic people walk again with new (uninvented) technology. I was NEVER done thinking. I come home and I open my computer laptop and started figuring out equations that seemingly couldn't be solved. WHILE cooking, WHILE EATING, while ... (I will be banned if I continue this sentence)  I dream about solutions and I wake up in the middle of the night with my notebook right next to me writing it all down before I forget. (I found the best solutions that way). and then you tell me  I can do 75% of the things I need to do while having my job.. seriously dude,.. no! who the heck are you to tell me this? that is actually insulting! 

So it is quite insulting to just assume you know someone and then preach what she has time to do or can not do...

And let me humor you.. even if that is so... 75% of the things can be done having her job.. MAYBE.. but  not with 100% of her time and attention HAVING said job. So absolutely wrong! Your flaw here is that you project YOUR life and YOUR situation onto HER options. Nope! Not allowed. No points for you mister!

OK I am done "debating" this though as this entire thread is getting seriously retarded. The problem everyone here is having is that they project THEIR life, their fears, their limitations, and their opinions onto others and assume they are in the same realm of living as them.

Jut doesnt work that way man

@Melanie Hartmann I'm sure you'll do just fine. "Research says you have a 36% chance of building a successful business while keeping your day job". 

I think podcasts and books hype the "quit your job philosophy" too much. 

In any case, good luck and NOW go all in  😊

@Melanie Hartmann I hear you and understand. My contract wasn't renewed at the end of the year and I made the decision not to re-enter the workforce my husband and I have been talking about starting a REI business for the past year or so, I figured this would be a good time to lay a solid foundation in making that happen. Best of luck and I look forward to hearing how this all works out for you.

Thank you!

But Dude, No one mentioned a "plan". I never said "it is a good plan".  I never said "because I did it and it worked for me it WILL also work for you". I never said I did it so you should too. I said.. if you want to quit your job because you want to focus on  this and give it your 300% FRECK heah! It is risky but if you feel that you can make it, I support you big time!  WHY? Because I KNOW it is possible.. because I did it too!

Big difference. Get it?

You:

If she wants to quit her job because she feels like it then that is great. If she is quitting her job because she thinks it will help her with starting to gain knowledge and experience in wholesaling then she is probably wrong. 75% of what she needs to do can be done without quitting her job. 

Wrong. That is YOUR opinion.. and based on what?! YOUR life? YOUR situation? YOUR background? YOUR assumptions on what she can and can't do? No no my friend.. totally wrong.  Wrong seriously!

75% of what she needs to do can be done while having a job.  WTH man.. first of all,  NO! Do you know what MY job was? I make people walk again. I was NEVER done thinking. I come home and I open my computer laptop and started figuring out equations that seemingly couldn't be solved. WHILE cooking, WHILE EATING,  I dream about solutions and I wake up in the middle of the night with my notebook right next to me writing it all down before I forget. (I found the best solutions that way). and then you tell me  I can do 75% of the things I need to do while having my job.. seriously dude,.. who the heck are you to tell me this? that is actually insulting! 

And let me humor you.. een if that is so... 75% of the things can be done having her job.. MAYBE.. but  not with 100% of her time and attention HAVING said job. So absolutely wrong! Your flaw here is that you project YOUR life and YOUR situation onto HER options. Nope! Not allowed. No points for you mister!

OK I am done "debating" this though as this entire thread is getting seriously retarded. The problem everyone here is having is that they project THEIR life, their fears, their limitations, and their opinions onto others and assume they are in the same realm of living as them.

Jut doesnt work that way man

I actually don’t get it. You are speaking a lot of RaRa and fluff. It sounds great but unfortunately my friend that is not reality. 

Of course everyone’s situation is different. But that is just a general comment that doesn’t really help. Notice that nothing of what you said is actually something actionable. To tell people (especially newbies) to go for it and just do it and all kinds of sentences like that with absolutely no actionable steps and plans is just a lot of rarara and pretty irresponsible.  

If she has a solid plan that there is a specific reason why she is quitting her job immediately then fine. But in no way did she describe that in any of the posts. She just wants to quit because she wants to wholesale. And besides the definition of the word and reading a few blogs about wholesaling she doesn’t really have real knowledge about the business. That is not an actionable plan. 

I understand your passion and that is a really good thing. Keep that. Just read carefully and understand the difference between a plan and dumb luck. When you play the odds of life you want to try and have the odds in your favor. 

I understand your passion and that is a really good thing. Keep that. Just read carefully and understand the difference between a plan and dumb luck.

Don't confuse hard work and dedication with dumb luck!

You are right. If I tell you to join a race and you have no idea what direction you are running in your dedication and hard work will get you very far. Only problem is that it will probably be in the wrong direction :-)

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

You are right. If I tell you to join a race and you have no idea what direction you are running in your dedication and hard work will get you very far. Only problem is that it will probably be in the wrong direction :-)

She has gotten an LLC,

She has gotten 3 websites

She has gotten a Google Number,

She is following a guide that I gave her how I did it...

she is learning how to do Direct mail marketing

She is about  to find an investor friendly attorney

She is about to learn how to find buyers and populate a buyers list.

she is....

I really don't understand why you keep assuming you know her, know what she is doing, why you assume she has no plan..

but ok.. your opinion here really doesnt affect anyone honestly.  

She is on the way to a great start, no matter what anyone here says.. so... what the heck are we debating here again?

she did all this in 1 day? 2 days? How many of you newbie wholesalers with a job... have done all this in one day?

So say what you will.. she quit her job and she is already way ahead of so many other wannabees with a job looking to do this for years now, but just don't step up.

I SERIOUSLY have no idea what grounds you are defending... but ok..

Update: Day #3 - It's all "ugly."

Check out my Profile on BP now ladies and gents! There's a company page now and it's all ugly!

I've created the following for my pending LLC/business that I filed 2 days ago. Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook Page, 2 Motivated Seller sites, 1 Cash Buyer site (Yes, you can sign up now!), Google+, YouTube channel (though I can't get that one to link up on BP yet for some reason...). Everything still needs to be updated, added to, and tweaked.

I've created a logo (will likely tweak this). Read more posts/forums about related topics. Read and responded to you lovely people, both publicly and privately. Watched YouTube videos and begun SEOing my pages. And I even managed a nap while my toddler slept - I've been up at night working/reading, too excited to sleep.

Have a long way to go in continuing to build up my online presence and rank up on Google BUT the foundation is being laid. (p.s. I don't want to be ranked high on Google at the moment. Like I said, it's all ugly.)

I want to personally thank @Jerryll Noorden and themightyinvestor.com for pointing me in the right direction. I'll try not to copy you too much, haha!

She has gotten an LLC,

she is....

I really don't understand why you keep assuming you know her, know what she is doing, why you assume she has no plan..

She is on the way to a great start, no matter what anyone here says.. so... what the heck are we debating here again?

she did all this in 1 day? 2 days? How many of you newbie wholesalers with a job... have done all this in one day?

So say what you will.. she quit her job and she is already way ahead of so many other wannabees with a job looking to do this for years now, but just don't step up.

Oh and I've already got a local, experienced, wholesaler friendly attorney - got him a while back. And also a few buyers - mostly from this post. 

Marketing will likely commence in the next week or 2. Want to make sure I look good online first though. :)

She has gotten an LLC,

She is following a guide that I specifically wrote how I did it.

We wish her the best of luck. If you are mentoring her and you have the experience to do so then that is great. She just needs to make sure that there is an actionable plan in place and enough knowledge to get started prior to doing something like this. If there is a good reason to immediately quit her job at this stage as part of a structured plan then that is fine. 

Nobody obviously knows her personally so we don’t know her situation. To open up an llc, buy a domain and read an ebook usually does not yet require you to quit your job... But as you said to each his own. 

Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann :

Check out my Profile on BP now ladies and gents! There's a company page now and it's all ugly!

I've created the following for my pending LLC/business that I filed 2 days ago. Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook Page, 2 Motivated Seller sites, 1 Cash Buyer site (Yes, you can sign up now!), Google+, YouTube channel (though I can't get that one to link up on BP yet for some reason...). Everything still needs to be updated, added to, and tweaked.

I've created a logo (will likely tweak this). Read more posts/forums about related topics. Read and responded to you lovely people, both publicly and privately. Watched YouTube videos and begun SEOing my pages. And I even managed a nap while my toddler slept - I've been up at night working/reading, too excited to sleep.

Have a long way to go in continuing to build up my online presence and rank up on Google BUT the foundation is being laid. (p.s. I don't want to be ranked high on Google at the moment. Like I said, it's all ugly.)

I want to personally thank @Jerryll Noorden and themightyinvestor.com for pointing me in the right direction. I'll try not to copy you too much, haha!

Don't use "Maryland estates" as your logo.

Your logo needs to immediately  show what you do. You buy houses in Maryland right? So Your logo needs to reflect that! No rush to change this as you yet don't really exist on google. But start coming up with something crisp, unique and memorable.

All the logos you see are often  some roof/house silhouette with the name underneath. EVERYONE has that. It is just not too smart to do that. You are simply not memorable. If anyone sees my logo they immediately say "ohh its those guys". Clean simple crisp and it has a fun little meaning Find something like that of your own design! stand out!

My actual logo is actually my domain name. How much more blunt and clear can you get?!

She has gotten an LLC,

She is following a guide that I specifically wrote how I did it.

We wish her the best of luck. If you are mentoring her and you have the experience to do so then that is great. She just needs to make sure that there is an actionable plan in place and enough knowledge to get started prior to doing something like this. If there is a good reason to immediately quit her job at this stage as part of a structured plan then that is fine. 

Nobody obviously knows her personally so we don’t know her situation. To open up an llc, buy a domain and read an ebook usually does not yet require you to quit your job... But as you said to each his own. 

I understand the points you are trying to make and as I said. I get it. I also know you have the best wishes for her.  I am not her mentor. I just help everyone and anyone that can show me they are not going to give up, friend or foe alike, even if you are a competitor.

I agree with all the points you are trying to make, I just don't agree with them applying here, but that is cool.

@Yoni 

@Yoni Ramras - "If she has a solid plan that there is a specific reason why she is quitting her job immediately then fine. But in no way did she describe that in any of the posts. She just wants to quit because she wants to wholesale. And besides the definition of the word and reading a few blogs about wholesaling she doesn’t really have real knowledge about the business. That is not an actionable plan."

My friend, you clearly did not scour this thread and read ALL of my posts. Can't blame you, there's a lot of them. However, your statements lead me to believe that you really didn't read much of anything I posted here. Frankly most, if not all, of what you have stated here has been addressed by me personally throughout this thread. 

Thank you and good day! 

Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

Don't use "Maryland estates" as your logo.

Your logo needs to immediately  show what you do. You buy houses in Maryland right? So Your logo needs to reflect that! No rush to change this as you yet don't really exist on google. But start coming up with something crisp, unique and memorable.

All the logos you see are often  some roof/house silhouette with the name underneath. EVERYONE has that. It is just not too smart to do that. You are simply not memorable. If anyone sees my logo they immediately say "ohh its those guys". Clean simple crisp and it has a fun little meaning Find something like that of your own design! stand out!

My actual logo is actually my domain name. How much more blunt and clear can you get?!

I love your logo by the way! And yes, mine will definitely need some adjustments!

Have a long way to go in continuing to build up my online presence and rank up on Google BUT the foundation is being laid. (p.s. I don't want to be ranked high on Google at the moment. Like I said, it's all ugly.)

Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann :

She has gotten an LLC,

she is....

Oh and I've already got a local, experienced, wholesaler friendly attorney - got him a while back. And also a few buyers - mostly from this post. 

Marketing will likely commence in the next week or 2. Want to make sure I look good online first though. :)

You are seriously doing fantastic. 

OK so I have always said

SEO (what ever it is that gets you in front of the people) + Credibility = Deals

You will start with DMM so don't worry about the "SEO" for the first deal.

Indeed work on the "Credibility" side of your website! Put some pictures of you up, you beating the hell out of a cockroach with a stick... it doesnt matter.. just get yourself on there and show of your you. 

Once you are credible, you are ready for DMM

(find buyers right now!)

Originally posted by @Matt K. :

Any input on where to have logo done? Been tossing the idea of 99logos but it's way cheaper on fiverr or similar...

Came across Canva in a blog or post somewhere last night. I plan to use that for my blog once I get that up and running. For the actual company logo, I do believe fiverr might be the route I try next.

@Melanie Hartmann I’m so surprised at some of the negative comments on here. I read a little about your situation and it makes sense to me. Yeah it would’ve been great if you started wholesaling while working but what everyone isn’t considering is that once you get home from work you have to cook, clean and take care of your kids. By the time they‘re in bed then you have to start looking for deals. You’d be exhausted at that hour. I don’t have kids yet but I come home from work to do the other chores then sit and look for deals for my rental property portfolio. I wish I could be doing this all day! Imagine how much more effective you’ll be working on wholesaling for 8 hours versus maybe 1 or 2 at night when you’re tired. I applaud you and hope it works out! If it doesn’t, well you can get another job like you said or change strategies. But at least you’re going for it!! Please keep me posted and add me to your buyers list :) feel free to add me as a connection and PM me. Rooting for you!!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here