Votes
Wihan VanWyk
  • Cape Town, South Africa
Votes |
New investor living in South Korea looking for local community

Wihan VanWyk
Posted Dec 4 2016, 18:58

Hi everyone! I am quite new at this and looking to break into real estate. I am currently residing in South Korea, but am originally from Cape Town, South Africa.

I am actively looking for my first property back home, as there are many under priced neighborhoods at the moment with good return potential.

My real question is about South Korea. I have only been here about 5 months and am a foreigner teaching. Is there any local groups or meet-ups or a local community. Would love to learn more about the investing potential in South Korea and the in's and outs, from what I can already tell it is quite unconventional.

Regards,

Wihan

User Stats

Votes
Ashley T.
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Dec 8 2016, 04:10

Wihan,

I'm from America but am currently living and teaching in S.Korea. I invest and flip single family homes in America. There is a group of investors in Seoul who do meet ups.  The facebook page is called Seoul Real Estate Investing Meetup. 

Ashley

User Stats

Votes
Mark Nolan
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Carlsbad, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Carlsbad, CA
Replied Dec 9 2016, 23:34

@Wihan VanWyk

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. You are at the right place to learn about real estate investing.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Wihan VanWyk
Votes |
Replied Dec 10 2016, 04:01

@Ashley T. Thanks a lot for the advice. I found the group online and will try to attend any future meet ups, thanks again :)

@Daniel Ryu Thanks again for accepting me into the group and all the useful info you have already provided!

@Mark Nolan Nice to meet you Mark! This seems to be very true, I look forward to learning more.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Ryu
  • Investor
  • Suwanee, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Suwanee, GA
Replied Dec 10 2016, 19:18

Wihan VanWyk
Glad to help. We've all gotten help from someone along the way! And BiggerPockets does a great job of helping to facilitate that.

User Stats

Votes
John Van Uytven
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oconee, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oconee, IL
Replied Dec 11 2016, 20:55

@Wihan VanWyk

Welcome to BP. 

I am back in America now, I used to teach in Gyeongju too. My heart will always be in Gyeongju. 

The Seoul REI group is great, it is bigger and better than I ever thought it would be.

I hope you take advantage of a meetup sometime. At least there is the KTX now to get to Seoul faster. 

Have a great day.

User Stats

Votes
Wihan VanWyk
Votes |
Replied Dec 13 2016, 07:52

Hi @John Van Uytven!

Thanks a lot, the site and the people on here has already been an immense help!

Great to hear from another fellow Gyeongju foreigner :).

I am definitely planning to try and attend any of the Seoul meetings that I can, I go up to Seoul every now and again, and yes, purely because of the KTX is this even possible.

Thanks for the welcome and best of luck to any endeavors you now have over in America!