Pro Member
  • Jackson, NJ
Votes |
Than Merrill's Free Real Estate Class

John S Lewis
Pro Member
  • Jackson, NJ
Posted Nov 19 2017, 10:37

So I saw for the first time today the beginnings of Than Merrill's infomercial.  Has anyone here on BP gone to the class just to check it out?  There's no way I'm paying anything, but I figure whatever free info I could get, couldn't be all that bad.  Plus it's a way to network with more peeps.  Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Karen O.
  • NYC, NY
Votes |
  • NYC, NY
Replied Nov 19 2017, 11:14

Many have attended and I am one.  Almost 2 yrs ago.  The free session was tempting.  It led to the special-if you sign up now- $99 3 day course for you and a friend.  The 3 day course led to some appetizers on how Than and team work without really giving any great details.  I remember counting heads - I figured 300-400  ppl paid since that was $30-40k.  Then I counted the number willing to sign up for one of the multiple levels of additional "training" available for somewhere in the range of $20 - $50k. And charging it to your credit card is encouraged. I figured up to 10 folks would gross Than & co 200k - $500k for a marketing exercise.  

I came away from it energized to learn more and found BP instead.  I haven't made the one to one mentor relationship but I have learned so much I didn't know.  And there is always someone willing to answer a question.  

As you are in NJ, i know there are several REIA's that you can tap. I've attended a few in Hasbrouck Heights. look under "network" to learn more.

I urge you to listen to BP's podcasts, view the webinars and read the blogs and books recommended by podcast guests as well as those written but BP staff and members. 

On your journey, remember there are many ways to be involved in RE.  Agent, employee, flipper, wholesaler, lender, landlord.  You have to find your sweet spot.  Take your time and enjoy the trip.

User Stats

Votes
John S Lewis
Pro Member
  • Jackson, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Jackson, NJ
Replied Nov 19 2017, 11:35

@Karen O.

Thanks.  I'm pro here on BP.  Member of SJREIA.  Knew there would be some aggressive upselling techniques.  And was just wondering if the first day of free was worth my time.  Apparently not based on your feedback.  Much appreciated.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 19 2017, 12:20

My guess would be that if you have seen the infomercial you have seen as much as you will get at the free session plus the upsell.

User Stats

Votes
John S Lewis
Pro Member
  • Jackson, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Jackson, NJ
Replied Nov 19 2017, 12:25

@Thomas S.

Lol

Thx

User Stats

Votes
Angus Yang
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Nov 19 2017, 12:31

@John S Lewis

Hey John, 

Me and my buddy attended the free session and the 3 day follow up paid session. Given that we were pretty new to real estate, I think it helps open your eyes to how broad real estate is and gives you useful nuggets to go and research on your own. I found myself saying "Wow, that's cool I didn't know about that" a ton during the course but in terms of actionable steps, you won't get much. 

I would say more than half their program is them pushing you onto their 30-50k "Mastery Course" and it's fascinating from a Sales and Marketing standpoint to see how they sell. It's subtly negging you then relating with you and offering you an opportunity at a new life. It might've been worth it just for that show alone :) 

If I had to go back I'd still attend, if anything it helps motivate you! Best of luck.

User Stats

Votes
John S Lewis
Pro Member
  • Jackson, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Jackson, NJ
Replied Nov 19 2017, 12:38

@Angus Yang

Ty.  I'm.plenty motivated right now.  In fact my new coach is trying to get me to step back a bit because I'm super enthused.

User Stats

Votes
Elbert D.
  • Real Estate Entrepreneur / Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Entrepreneur / Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 19 2017, 16:18

anyone that does these guru programs and coaching programs are scamming people. If they are so good at real estate why aren’t m they flipping mansions and Commerical properties?????

User Stats

Votes
Josh C.
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Nov 19 2017, 17:22

Elbert Dockery it's because the money is so good. Plus it's the same company doing several of these guys programs. Than didn't write this course himself, the marketing company did. Than and everyone else probably was/is a successful investor at one point.

I have heard plenty of people liking the 3 day get your feet wet courses for a few hundred bucks, but yet to meet anyone who said the 50k class was a good idea. That's a decent rental in Indianapolis, they would learn so much more buying a house even if they lost everything than more classes taught by people outside their market.

User Stats

Votes
Andy Rumple
  • Wholesaler and Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Nov 19 2017, 21:15

Get a local person to help you for peanuts. I have new students pay for a mailing then I evaluate the leads with them and help them get the deals at the proper price. When it is time to sell we use my buyers list. Post on here that you would like a similar deal and include the name of your town so the right people will see it who may be able to help you without draining your wallet. I question any guru who would take $10K or more from someone who is new. Heck you don't even know if you will like it or be good at it until you try it.

User Stats

Votes
Andy Rumple
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Nov 19 2017, 21:17

Forgot to mention I get a deal split for my efforts when the deals sell. I only make money when the student does.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Armstrong
  • Realtor
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Nov 20 2017, 06:20

@John S Lewis

Its 100% crap. Just go find someone who does or is where you want to be and buy them coffee. For the $2 you spend on coffee you will receive 10000x more information than you would from ****** ole Than Merill and his band of goonies. 

thats not my $0.02 thats a fact

User Stats

Votes
John S Lewis
Pro Member
  • Jackson, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Jackson, NJ
Replied Nov 20 2017, 07:47

@Chris Armstrong  thanks for  your 2 cents!!  Based on all the feedback I've gotten so far, I won't be going and wasting my time. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Sonya Brown
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 20 2017, 10:41

I attended TM (3day) and I enjoyed it,learned a great deal. Have yet to do my first deal but ONLY because I didn't apply all the knowledge I gained. I agree with (Karen O),it was definitely motivating. At that time I attended TM I didn't know anyone that was doing realestate in that manner,Making the kind of money TM was talking about. It was definitely worth the money to me if for nothing but the motivation and encouragement that it's possible to be successful in realestate. Since that time I have seeked other successful people in the business.  I KNOW I can be too!!

User Stats

Votes
William Jaroske
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Nov 20 2017, 16:08

Regarding Than Merrill's real estate investing 3 day workshop course. You can learn a lot of tips and techniques that prove useful. However the up-sells are expensive. I would not overlook it because of bias opinions. Also look into local REIA events at meetup.com to connect with local investors. Remember invest with caution. Many amateurs and DIY that think they know what they are doing don't know what they are doing will give you money losing advice. If you connect with the wrong kind of people, you might as well look forward to being bankrupt. Find a mentor, find a meetup group, connect with honest contractors, partner with honest real estate brokers and realtors, partner with lawyers and title companies with great track records.