Julien Nassini
Pro Member
Votes |
Urgent property refinance

Julien Nassini
Pro Member
Posted Feb 21 2024, 04:33

Good morning All,

I hope all is well, I would like to share my issue with you all for some advise on how to tackle this problem. Last year around this time my dad was sick and I have to move overseas since he died to handle a few family stuff. Before leaving, I was wrapping up with my fix and flip with actually was supposed to be a one year fix and flip but turned out to be a 6 months one instead and I was also penalized there. Now the property is in foreclosure and they want to pay the total amount right away which I don't have the 200k. I would like to know what are the options that I can use to be able to keep my property. Aslo the property is under my wifes name not mine. Please if someone can guide me, I would be really grateful. We also retained a lawyer so the property won't forclose. I look forward to hear from someone. Thank you very much in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Feb 21 2024, 04:52
Quote from @Julien Nassini:

Good morning All,

I hope all is well, I would like to share my issue with you all for some advise on how to tackle this problem. Last year around this time my dad was sick and I have to move overseas since he died to handle a few family stuff. Before leaving, I was wrapping up with my fix and flip with actually was supposed to be a one year fix and flip but turned out to be a 6 months one instead and I was also penalized there. Now the property is in foreclosure and they want to pay the total amount right away which I don't have the 200k. I would like to know what are the options that I can use to be able to keep my property. Aslo the property is under my wifes name not mine. Please if someone can guide me, I would be really grateful. We also retained a lawyer so the property won't forclose. I look forward to hear from someone. Thank you very much in advance.

If I am understanding the situation, you took at a 12 month loan and it is now due and the lender is foreclosing (I do not understand the six month comment).

Here is the reality, getting a lawyer and spending $ to delay a foreclosure is only going to cost you more $ as the lender will also have legal costs that get added to the loan and you will have legal costs.

Your options are refinance or file bankruptcy. This is assuming the lender did nothing wrong and you just did not pay it when it became due. 

Your other options are to sell it or give the lender back the property. 

Unfortunately based on the info, you did not uphold your terms of the agreement and the lender has every right to pursue this. Probably not the answer you are looking for but not really any other options. You can try and stall this and try and come up with the money but now that it is in foreclosure traditional lending is going to be a no-go so unless you know someone who will give you the $ or you have other real estate you can pledge your options are limited. 

User Stats

Votes
Julien Nassini
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 21 2024, 13:01

Thank you very much so basically I have to come up with the 200k.right

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
David Ross
Lender
  • Lender
  • Henderson, NV
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Henderson, NV
Replied Feb 22 2024, 15:24

@Julien Nassini

Not necessarily.   Contact the lender and see what they're willing to do.   Foreclosures are expensive for lenders (more so in some states than in others).   It's generally not something they are looking to do if it's avoidable.   Every scenario is different, so I guess you should check with your attorney but I think oftentimes your best option is to get someone on the phone and see where they're at.  You'll likely be able to get a sense for whether or not they're open to another solution or if they're dead-set on pursuing a foreclosure at this point.   Good luck!

Cardinal Financial Logo

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Feb 23 2024, 12:22
Quote from @Julien Nassini:

Good morning All,

Contact your lender and come up with a game plan for a refinance. 

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Greg Kasmer
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia
Replied Feb 26 2024, 08:57

Julien - Any idea how much your property is now worth? If it's higher than the 200k that you might be able to find someone to support some/all of the 200k, but they'll want equity or to be paid back over time with interest. You're options are limited if you want to retain 100% of the equity have others have mentioned, but their might be some creative options if you're willing to split equity. 

User Stats

Votes
Chad Davis
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Richmond VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Richmond VA
Replied Mar 6 2024, 10:40

@Julien Nassini What is the value of the property?