Skip to content
Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Turner#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Any PROs Wanna Write a Book with Me?

Brandon Turner#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Posted May 10 2013, 12:18

Hey real estate pros (I'll define that as: those who have done at multiple deals and been in the game for at least a year)

So I'm thinking it might be cool to write a short "community book" to give away to new investors when they stop by. We obviously have the Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing, which is good - but maybe we could expand a bit?

My thought: We get a dozen experienced people to all write a short chapter on one topic. Perhaps "Advice for Getting Started." For those of you who are commenting here on the forums everyday, you probably state the same advice over and over. This would be a way to get those thoughts down in a more concrete way.

It wouldn't have to be terrible long. Maybe 2000 words (the equivalent of 2 blog posts.)

Anyone interested? Let me know below or send me a PM and I'll get something organized.

Let's do this! I'm excited :)

*** UPDATE: THE TOPIC HAS BEEN DECIDED:*****

We're going to be writing a community book based around the question "What Would You Do If You Were to Start Over Again Today?"

(More Information later in the thread)

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Dec 11 2013, 09:03
Originally posted by @Brandon Turner:
Hey @Kenneth LaVoie - not too late, if you can get it in before the week is over. And @Bill Gulley I see your point completely. However, this is the reason the book is not a teaching book, it's a "here's my opinion of what I would do differently if I could start all over today." It's not instruction for others, per se, but lots of opinions and viewpoints, just like we get on the forums.

@Karen Rittenhouse Perfect, thanks!

@Jason Grote - Sure no problem. I'll just give you four minutes of Saturday instead....

Ahhhhhhh, never mind, :)

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth LaVoie
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Winslow, ME
Votes |
  • Winslow, ME
Replied Dec 11 2013, 09:49

Will do!!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth LaVoie
  • Winslow, ME
Votes |
  • Winslow, ME
Replied Dec 11 2013, 12:06

What I would do over again in the RE business.

My name is Ken LaVoie. I’ve been investing in rental real estate for nearly five years.My situation is fairly unique in that I did it quickly. I bought 12 buildings over 4 years totaling 49 units.

If I got to go back in time and start over again, I’d pick NOTHING but higher quality areas / buildings, regardless of the higher cash flow.I came to the realization fairly early that you can make 75% of the income (of low-priced, low-income housing) with less than 50% of the hassles.I would also be a little fussier about “ease of renting.”I wouldn’t worry about what sort of work the building needed; that can be fixed. But I would be very particular about parking features, layouts, etc. If you show an apartment to 10 people, you want 9 of them to like the apartment, not 2.Having “desirable” apartments, even if you have to pay a little more, cuts time empty to almost nothing.

To sum it up, I’d remember that “Quality will out.”In the end, everyone wants quality. There are some periods of time that people cannot afford quality, but they’re always eyeing it…always looking forward to being able to afford quality.When you own quality units, you have units that people are “striving” for, vs. units that people are staying in “because they have no choice.” Many of our units are very desirable, but a few aren't. I strayed, and experimented with “lower income” but “higher cash flow” units.They are higher cash flow but I have to work my *** off to keep them filled, and sometimes we have to compromise on the quality of the tenants.

Quality Will Out. My “back in time” Battle Cry!

Ken LaVoie,

Winslow, Maine

User Stats

Votes
Michael Sherwood
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • buffalo, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • buffalo, NY
Replied Dec 12 2013, 03:46

I'm in if there is anything I can contribute!

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth LaVoie
  • Winslow, ME
Votes |
  • Winslow, ME
Replied Dec 12 2013, 03:54

sorry for posting that whole mess...I missed the post asking us to email it to you...

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Replied Dec 12 2013, 10:15

No worries @Kenneth LaVoie ! I got the email. and @Michael Sherwood - I'll add your chapter if you can get it to me by this weekend! :) I'd love to have your thoughts!

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth LaVoie
  • Winslow, ME
Votes |
  • Winslow, ME
Replied Dec 12 2013, 10:33

Emailed it early this morning. If you didn't get it, there it is in its entirety posted a couple back...

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Replied Dec 12 2013, 10:42

I got it @Kenneth LaVoie - it looks good! Thanks :)

User Stats

Votes
Buddy LaRue
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Palm Springs, CA
Votes |
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Palm Springs, CA
Replied Dec 12 2013, 10:47

I would be more than happy to help.

User Stats

Votes
Sharon Vornholt
  • Goshen, KY
Votes |
  • Goshen, KY
Replied Dec 16 2013, 13:09

You still have my chapter don't you Brandon?

Sharon

User Stats

Votes
Dave Vogt
  • Investor
  • Port Colborne, Ontario
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Port Colborne, Ontario
Replied Feb 19 2014, 05:24
Originally posted by @Roy N.:
I'll side with Mehran Kamari, I too am not seasoned enough to contribute ... If I were, I'd pitch-in side-bars on "investing in Canadian Real Estate" as things are, understandably, a little different up here.

Roy don't sell yourself short. Seems to me you would be able to contribute a lot just from our few conversations.

As a fellow Canadian, house flipper, and hands on renovator ( crazy I know) I myself am not sure how much help I can be, but I would be happy to share if you think it would beneficial.

Maybe we could start a Canadian section on the forum and start building that up for you guys at BP.

User Stats

Votes
Roy N.
Pro Member
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
ModeratorReplied Feb 19 2014, 06:03

@Dave Vogt

I had mentioned to Josh & Brandon in another thread that very idea of adding a "If your in Canada, eh!" side-bar to various sections of the existing getting started guide.

I've started assembling some materials on what's different up North with respect to financing, taxation, etc. but have been too overcommitted to finish putting it together. Perhaps I'll start a set of blog posts where you and others can pitch-in and help fine the material.

User Stats

Votes
Sharon Vornholt
  • Goshen, KY
Votes |
  • Goshen, KY
Replied Feb 19 2014, 07:00

@Brandon Turner

@Brandon Turner

@Brandon Turner

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Replied Feb 19 2014, 16:32

It's close to being finished @Sharon Vornholt !

User Stats

Votes
David Krulac
  • Mechanicsburg, PA
Votes |
  • Mechanicsburg, PA
Replied Feb 19 2014, 17:29

@Brandon Turner

I've written a book I know what it takes, Thank you for your efforts.

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Replied Feb 19 2014, 17:35

Thanks @David Krulac :) I'm like 99% editing and getting it all ready. I'm waiting on a cover design, but it's a bit complicated since we are trying to redesign all of our book covers to look similar- and that's taking a while. So- as soon as that's done, I think we'll have it out.

And it's awesome so far, in case anyone is wondering!

User Stats

Votes
Sharon Vornholt
  • Goshen, KY
Votes |
  • Goshen, KY
Replied Feb 19 2014, 18:23

Great @Brandon.

@Brandon Turner

@Brandon Turner