• Investor
  • Westland, MI
Votes |
Group Home in Michigan

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Westland, MI
Posted Feb 9 2015, 09:21

Does anyone out there have any information about a semi-independent adult foster care facility. Looking for answers regarding licensing, inspections, staffing, costs/fees, state/federal requirements and can an investor make this kind of deal work?

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Rabinowitz
  • Investor/Landlord
  • Farmington Hills, MI
Votes |
  • Investor/Landlord
  • Farmington Hills, MI
Replied Feb 9 2015, 11:58

@Account Closed, Eric Tomei and Mike Simmons are local investors who had experience with a facility like this. I see Mike on the BP forums fairly frequently. I don't recall seeing Eric here. If you need phone numbers for either send me an e-mail outside of BP or give me a call.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Simmons
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Clarkston, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Clarkston, MI
Replied Feb 9 2015, 12:46

HI Donna.  I have been involved with facilities such as this.  I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.  You can email me directly at: [email protected]

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
David Roberts
  • Brownstown, MI
Votes |
  • Brownstown, MI
Replied Feb 10 2015, 17:55

I would really like to get in on this discussion if we can have it made public, or even add me on the email conversation. 

My wife is a special ed teacher and one of her fellow teachers wants to start a 'group home' for 3 over 18 mentally impaired 'students'.  I don't know that a 'commercial' environment would be required, but the preliminary discussion with the person who wants to run this, is that there would always be a nurse or some member of staff there, I would just be the landlord so just the facilitator of the 'business'.  I would get rent from the state, much like section 8 (a premium rent).  

I have not verified any of this but if I can take a house I'd normally get 1000 for and get 14-1600 for 3 disabled mentally impaired adults that need assistance 24/7, then I would definitely be interested in this.  I'm sure there are state inspections like section 8 has, but maybe a different kind of inspection.  Per my wife, I wouldn't need wheelchair ramps or anything since the students selected to stay there would not need that kind of help, but I also don't know that the 'inspection' distinguishes between the two.

Any help would be appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Bogdan
  • Investor
  • Eureka, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Eureka, CA
Replied Feb 10 2015, 19:09

Hi all,

While I have no experience in Michigan, I do have extensive experience in group living and program based housing. If you'd like another opinion, feel free to email me at [email protected].

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Venturini
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Feb 3 2017, 14:07

My first post, but was wondering if we could bump this thread. I am interested in learning more and building a real estate program for this in the Metro Detroit Area.

User Stats

Votes
Keri Middaugh
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ypsilanti, MI
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ypsilanti, MI
Replied Nov 8 2017, 05:58

I also am interested in Adult Foster Care.  I'm just starting to get educated about it.  I think it would be a wonderful way to combine the ambition of real estate investing with the kindness of caring for people.  Shall we pool our ideas, skills, resources?  @Anthony Venturini, @David Roberts, @Mike Simmons, @Account Closed

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 13 2021, 17:50

I've been approached by a local program that helps homeless youth transition to living in their own homes.  They would want to use my house for 3-4 youth at a time.  An adult would be doing some supervision but not 24 hours a day.  I like the idea of helping but I worry about the risks too.  One the plus side I would not have to get new flooring or remodel the kitchen and would get about the same rate I would get if I were fixing those things.