What's your non-real estate side hustle these days?

202 Replies

I haven’t been able to buy anything since the market has been so hot in Raleigh NC, but just started a side business doing demolition and junk removal to build up cash reserves and make connections.

Hoping to connect with real estate investors who need clean-outs as well as contractors, people wanting to sell their homes, etc.

Hunter Biden and I do art together.  Besides that I have a consulting business.  Make more money in an hour than my rentals used to net in a month.  It's good to have a cash business going.  It gives you the freedom to slow down and buy smart.

I love this question & all the insights. I do business & life coaching, affiliate marketing, looking for a camper to flip to get into Outdoorsy for next year in New England & always investing in real estate (LTR + STR)

@Aubrey Lambalot So many great tips and ideas come from this amazing community. Just hear about Outdoorsy and think is a great idea as an investment and recreational addition to my family. My Brother-in-law in VT rehab Airstream Trailers and can help me with questions if needed to fix or add something to RV/trailer when needed. Wishing you good luck. 

We financed a kid several years ago to buy a small cattle farm/ranch. He was recently out of the Marine corps & had a Chem Eng degree.

His side gig was cleaning restaurant & commercial kitchen grease hoods. Said he had no competition & made $200/2 hr job. He also ran a chemical cleaner through the beer/soda tap lines to sterilize & clean per health department requirements. Again he had no real competition but most of the jobs had to be done 4-5am. The avg job was $250. 

@Seidy Lasker    @Tim Ryan

My wife and I would love to start a suburban co-working space...we now both work from home, there's absolutely nothing near our suburban community, and so many neighbors (also now work-from-home) are saying on our neighborhood Facebook page say they're looking for space.

But the start-up costs seem huge, no?  I mean, if you want to do it right and have great internet, furniture, certainly comfortable chairs, and build-out for conference room option, private office options, kitchen area, proper technology, etc.  We only looked at one potential space and they were saying $4000/mo rent...seems hard to turn a profit at that level after other expenses.

In your opinion, how many sq ft do you need for a reasonable co-working space?  And do you believe you need to own the real estate, or is renting fine?  (a small co-working operator once told me that owning the real estate was the best decision he made in starting his business...would've been afraid to make the investments even with a longer-term lease)

Originally posted by @Elisiane Da Silva-Taylor :

@Aubrey Lambalot So many great tips and ideas come from this amazing community. Just hear about Outdoorsy and think is a great idea as an investment and recreational addition to my family. My Brother-in-law in VT rehab Airstream Trailers and can help me with questions if needed to fix or add something to RV/trailer when needed. Wishing you good luck. 

Elisiane, there are so many great idea! We are all in the entrepreneur mind-set so seeing different forms of income is very inspiring. I am looking to purchase an Airstream and live right outside of Boston. I may have to reach out to you for contact info with your Brother-In-law in the near future! Best of you luck to you too with your investing!

@Brian Zaug I would love to learn more about this as I represent a RE investment firm that doubles as a construction company. I requested to connect and would love to ask you a few questions about the lumber industry whenever you have a few spare moments!!!

Originally posted by @Sean Massimo :

@Jay Hinrichs are you still involved with wood and lumber? I’m looking to learn more about how the industry works and various opportunities to get cheaper lumber for my construction company!!

we were log suppliers not lumber suppliers..  kind of works if you already own a good amount of timber ground.. then you can get a portable mill and mill up your own lumber.. I dont see folks in the trades doing this much if at all but i know it does happen.