• Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
What age did you start investing?

Bonnie Rhodes
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Posted Sep 15 2020, 11:52

Obviously, there is no correct answer. Some investors have the freedom to start when they are in college/a young adult while others decide to invest closer to retirement. 

With that being said, at what age did YOU begin to invest?

User Stats

Votes
Matt Maupin
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Sep 20 2020, 08:02

@Bonnie Rhodes

I bought my first property at the age of 19. I lived in it for 3 years, and then I bought another property and rented out the first one. In my opinion, this is the easiest way to acquire properties early on if you don’t have a lot of startup capital. It also allows you to finance the investment property with better rates too!

User Stats

Votes
Karla Simmons
  • Vacaville, CA
Votes |
  • Vacaville, CA
Replied Sep 20 2020, 10:19

@Bonnie Rhodes my husband and I were 35.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Hall
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pensacola, FL
Votes |
  • Pensacola, FL
Replied Sep 20 2020, 11:29

@Bonnie Rhodes

I bought my first rental when I was 19. I now have two rentals and a primary residence ( now 23) that will be rented out in a year or so. All of this was doable because I joined the military. Just start when you can.

User Stats

Votes
Stewart Beal
  • Investor
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied Sep 20 2020, 12:25

In 2002 I purchased a 5 unit when I was 19 in Ypsilanti, MI across from the Eastern Michigan University Business School.  I still own it today. 

User Stats

Votes
Jesus Roman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Sep 20 2020, 15:30

@Bonnie Rhodes 22! Just purchased my first home which I am currently house hacking with two other roommates here in Houston!

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Mancuso
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Sep 21 2020, 11:50

The good news I'm seeing from this post is that it is never too late to start investing in property, it all depends on when the timing is best for you. 

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Predmore
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Sep 22 2020, 11:22

@Tony Rodriguez  I just finished (& wrote a post) my first deal after listening to podcasts/studying on BP for about 2 years.    
 I took a 401k loan against an old employer's plan. I was able to take 50% of the current value and repay it over 60 months (max). In my case that was about $37k. I'm repaying myself back each month with interest.  I setup automatic withdrawls from my bank paying back into Fidelity.

I used this 37k 'seed money' when qualifying for my commercial loan. My commercial loan covered 75% purchase + all rehab. The 37k was my 25% down payment, plus other startup costs. My tenant is now paying back my 401k loan and mortgage payment each month. This is working great.  After 60 months, my cash flow will go up significantly.

I never did a withdrawl from a 401k. Therefore I didn't pay any taxes or take the 10% early withdrawl penalty.

User Stats

Votes
Shlomo Koheler
Pro Member
  • centervill in
Votes |
Pro Member
  • centervill in
Replied Sep 24 2020, 03:49

@Bonnie Rhodes

I live in Israel and failed trying me to buy my first apartment 18 years old in a missile Target city.

(yes War missiles it's Israel, not US)

At 23 2 apartments in Israel.

Then flipped for a couple of years Apartments.

At 30 bought my first few rentals in Cincinnati oh

User Stats

Votes
Justine Ade
Pro Member
  • Champaign, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Champaign, IL
Replied Sep 24 2020, 18:28

@Bonnie Rhodes

Didn’t invest into a retirement account until I was 27. Able to max out my retirement account and HSA at 29. Starting to read about real estate now that I’m 30 and hoping to get my first rental property(ies) at 31 .

User Stats

Votes
Sean Sullivan
  • Woodbridge, VA
Votes |
  • Woodbridge, VA
Replied Oct 5 2020, 03:15

@Bonnie Rhodes

I started with index funds in college and bought my first property when I was 23. It is important to note that while I learned a lot I did not make much money on the first property I bought, but I am still learning so much!

User Stats

Votes
Derek L.
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied Oct 13 2020, 15:26

I started at 23, having saved my college internship money and not blowing it on spring break trips, and closed on a single family home in 2014 in MA. Been a constant learning experience since, from a basement flood to renovations and 3 tenants, and taught me the power of real estate firsthand. And, still learning to this day!

User Stats

Votes
David Avery
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Phoenix Arizona
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Phoenix Arizona
Replied Oct 13 2020, 16:43

Had a duplex and two houses by 22.    First deal was 17 all in Utah.  Dad did most of my first deal!!!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 14 2020, 17:12

@Bonnie Rhodes

I recently just made my first purchase on 9/25 at the age of 22. Cash flows 500$ a month on top of my W2 income. Was on the fence due to covid but found a deal I couldn’t pass up and jumped in head first