What 2021 accomplishments are you proud of?

196 Replies

I invested in tax liens since 2013. I foreclosed on my first one in August, I am learning the re-zoning process and am hoping to sell the property by December. The return should be over 200% return on my investment. I purchase another rental (modest goal is to acquire 1 a year). I am taking advantage of the market by putting my first BRRRR property on the market and my other house hacked property that was rented should me listed soon so I can get more opportunities in 2022.

Doesn't sound like a lot, but from 1 RE transaction a year to now 4 transactions (maybe 5) plus a re-zoning permit, is a good improvement for me and I am feeling the benefits of RE investing now.

At 46 years old setting a VISION for the next half of my life. Really focusing on how to allocate time. Once you have enough money the TIME is what is most valuable. Currently buying up commercial retail value add properties. I take cash I make from clients buying stabilized investment grade long term tenants and roll that into my own value add investments.

I prioritize my IDEAL LIFE over hitting some monetary number at all costs. Typically as you age people see more value in time and less in who has more money than the next person. I am writing my LEGACY and thinking more of future family generations and how my story will inspire them to live their dreams. I am cataloging videos, pictures, and writings of my path through life.

I can tell people to think about all aspects of their life and how they can get better not just the financial part.  

For this year 2021, the accomplishment that I am most proud of is that I bought my first multifamily property at the age of 22. I am currently house hacking and renovating one unit while working fulltime for the state of WA. I will be working on getting my real estate license to become an agent for this year ends! I cant wait what 2022 has to offer!

@Kaylee Walterbach

Shut down my contracting company to further my investments. Realized it was the negative side of 80/20 principle. Moved from NJ to AZ. Closing on my first development project an 8 unit build out in November!

Congratulations to everyone and all these accomplishments!

2021 was a great year for me as I went from 1 to 3 doors (2 out of state). But most importantly, I established my goal of replacing my W2 income with rental income so I can be an investor full-time. I also obtained my Broker license here in Oregon but I still need to learn how to use the RMLS to find deals....

I am proud of reaching 100 Units under 100% ownership in 2021.  My original goal was 30 units by 30 years old and 100 units by 35, which would be 5/15/1986.  I reached the 100 unit mark about 5 months after my original timeline.  

First full calendar year working in RE and REI without a w2 to support and able to "fire" my wife from her job to be home with our kids and self employed as well. The personal "why" of the journey in RE and REI has been greater fuel than anything else.

@Kaylee Walterbach

After a long year of sweat, tears, many long talks with God/The Universe/Blue Bell Ice Cream, I got my property appraised and was able to cancel my PMI. The appraisal came in way over what I thought it would. It sounds like a small thing, but knowing all the work put into it actually paid off was amazing. Also, cutting expenses and keeping more each month is a plus! Little steps in a long journey ahead.

Side note: I found a tenant that pays me a week ahead of the 1st. Who could ask for better???

With the change of a few questions was able to secure earlier this year (almost closing) a property from a client of ours we are buying for well below market here in Los Angeles. Property lot is 12,600 and with SB9 laws in effect next year we plan to develop it eventually. First thing is to add on and renovate, rent and refi (BRRR) and then get plans to build more.

Purchase price $580k paying sellers costs

Current as is ~750-800k in this crazy market, doing conventional N/O/O Loan with 20-25% down and appraiser scratched his head after seeing price and said he would bring it down to avoid lender asking a million more questions, appraisal came in today at $680k.

Was originally going to add an ADU 1200' from the ground up and have an ARV of 1.2-1.3 but with the SB9 plans, we are looking at subdividing lot and building 4 units, possibly 6 with 2 being ADU's. So future ARV after this will be 2.5m-3m, granted we will have to spend money to build but will be planning to do 3 homes in addition to the one already there.

Updated 3 months ago

With the change of a few questions was able to secure earlier this year (almost closing) a property from a client of ours we are buying for well below market here in Los Angeles. Property lot is 12,600 and with SB9 laws in effect next year we plan to develop it eventually. First thing is to add on and renovate, rent and refi (BRRR) and then get plans to build more. Purchase price $580k paying sellers costs Current as is ~750-800k in this crazy market, doing conventional N/O/O Loan with 20-25% down and appraiser scratched his head after seeing price and said he would bring it down to avoid lender asking a million more questions, appraisal came in today at $680k. Was originally going to add an ADU 1200' from the ground up and have an ARV of 1.2-1.3 but with the SB9 plans, we are looking at subdividing lot and building 4 units, possibly 6 with 2 being ADU's.

Hi Kaylee, thank you for opening up the floor to a great question. I am a fairly new real estate agent in the real industry. I took a leap of faith and left the health care industry to attend real estate school in January 2020 and received my real estate license for the state of Delaware in March 2020 (three weeks before the pandemic shutdown). I have also obtained my real estate license for the state of Maryland in December 2020. I created my own, real estate company, LLC, and have closed 5 real estate transactions, and working on my 6th one since being a licensed REALTOR. I have been associated with two real estate brokerage firms and have connected with some great real estate smarties to learn all I can about the real estate business and all its moving parts. I have met so many wonderful clients, customers, businesses, and networking partners thus far and I am enjoying every bit of my decision-making. I am most proud of my willingness and commitment to make a career change at age 52 (now 54) and pursue my lifelong dream of entrepreneurship and the experience of autonomy freedom. I am looking forward to accomplishing my ultimate goal of being a full-time real estate investor with flipping, rentals, and wholesale deals. Thank you for asking!

Our investor group closed 26 rental units (3 properties) in Los Angeles. I'm proud that we were able to buy great value add deals when people said it was impossible. Also grateful for the investors who believed in us. It's been a great year, and we're incredibly excited. 

I'm proud that I found this blog and became a member of the BP community! I also have developed a sincere passion about real estate, have been working on my live-in flip, and I am saving for a multi unit. While saving I'll continue to learn, read, listen, network, and take a step forward each day towards financial freedom! 

[Link Removed by Moderators]

I converted a van into a tiny home-on-wheels earlier this year and gained the confidence to buy my first home to house-hack and understand many of the building components that I previously knew nothing about! 2021 was great and looking forward to buying my first investment property in 2022!

In 2021, I was the lead sponsor on my first multifamily acquisition (26 units in Cincinnati), alongside a few investors. Although it was a long journey, the knowledge gained was invaluable. This has given me the momentum to continue acquiring larger properties, while helping investors build wealth and achieve substantial returns.

Most recent deal, 33 unit motel to extended stay unit conversion, $410,000 purchase price, $300,000 rehab, got to 100% occupancy grossing $23,240 per mo. Closing on Refi next mo @ an 80% ltv loc @ a $1,800,000 value, with $0 out of pocket dollars. Hard money for the purchase, existing line of credit for the rehab. 

@Kaylee Walterbach

Buying a beater, fixing it up and renting it out by the room. $550/room plus I found someone to rent out the detached garage for $425/month. All in for 205k and rents for over $3075 minus utilities that I’m paying.

Originally posted by @Joel Owens :

At 46 years old setting a VISION for the next half of my life. Really focusing on how to allocate time. Once you have enough money the TIME is what is most valuable. Currently buying up commercial retail value add properties. I take cash I make from clients buying stabilized investment grade long term tenants and roll that into my own value add investments.

I prioritize my IDEAL LIFE over hitting some monetary number at all costs. Typically as you age people see more value in time and less in who has more money than the next person. I am writing my LEGACY and thinking more of future family generations and how my story will inspire them to live their dreams. I am cataloging videos, pictures, and writings of my path through life.

I can tell people to think about all aspects of their life and how they can get better not just the financial part.  

Very interesting Joe. I am in commercial retail as well, and also nearing 46, and realizing time is the most valuable asset.

@Kaylee Walterbach

I am proud of the fact that I haven’t let social media dedicate when I should have something done by. Not letting all the Social Media Real Estate Guru’s rush me to success. I started my own Rental company this year and have now I have a business checking and savings with money in them (LOL)!! I also did my first tax lien sale and walked away with some parcels with a good interest rate on them!! So I am excited for what comes next.

@Kaylee Walterbach

We have been exclusively investing in SFHs for 14+ years in the Triad NC area. When housing prices started increasing, we decided too venture into MH parks in VA. We have successfully purchased three MH parks, purchasing one in 2020 and two in 2021. Our goal was to buy family owned parks and develop a strategy to convert them to an efficient MH park business within two years.

Additionally in 2021, The mobile home parks have allowed me to introduce my 20 year old twins too the real estate business by enabling them to acquire, renovate and rent Mobile Homes. I am so proud that my children understand the value of real estate and are starting to build their future real estate career.

I believe MHs offer great affordable housing as prices continue to skyrocket across the country. Our goal is to insure our parks offer safe secure affordable housing for families.

So far so good, looking forward to executing the MH business plans in 2022 and beyond !!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you