Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mike Wood
  • Developer
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
How to handle realtors bring prospective tenants (commission/fee)

Mike Wood
  • Developer
  • New Orleans, LA
Posted

I have been a DIY landlord for 7 yrs now, and recently I have put up a unit for rent and had an real estate agent working on behalf of a prospective tenant.  This is the first time this has happened, but thanks to the power of the internet, I am betting this is bound to start happening more and more.  My units are listed with Postlets (which syndicates to lots of sites) and Craigslist.

How should I handle compensating the agent if there client is the best qualified tenant.  I am not against compensating them, just not sure how to handle it or how much to pay.

I do know the costs of using an agent to list, qualify, show and get to a rental agreement (i.e. the agent handles the rental listing), but this is different.  This would be basically a finders fee.  I do offer my other tenants a $250 finders fee if they bring me a tenant (which I have yet have any current tenants bring me a new tenant).

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

I get a ton of referrals for tenants, but I am the one doing the showings, screening, putting them under contract, etc. So all the agent has done is give them my contact information. I don't see that as worthy of compensation. I refer people to restaurants, mechanics, and lots of other places and never expect compensation.

Now there is a large percentage of property managers that will pay a referral. However, they usually charge owners a "Leasing Fee" of up to one month's rent and then they use that money to compensate agents that bring them renters. And those agents probably have some increased responsibilities like pre-screening the applicant, showing the property, explaining policies, etc.

As a private Landlord, I would consider sending them a small gift card of $25 to Starbucks or Amazon. Maybe after X referrals you can give them something substantial like $100. Keep in mind, individual agents are NOT supposed to collect any compensation. All compensation is supposed to go to their Broker and then it is passed on to the Agent based on their compensation agreement with the Broker. Small amounts can go right to the Agent, but anything over $50 and you should probably ask the Agent if payment needs to go through the Broker.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jesse T.
  • Herndon, VA
Votes |
  • Herndon, VA
Replied

I would expect 1/2 the typical listing fee would be the expected amount.  

If the agent places a good tenant, you may want to give them a heads up on prospective vacancies.  Some agents may try to argue for a whole commission, but I would question who they are representing in that case.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Mike Wood
  • Developer
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • New Orleans, LA
Replied

I should have been more clear. The agent is making all the contact, and accompaning the tenant to the showing. She is clearly working with them. So I was thinking it would be more than a small gift.

I understand the 1 month fee for agents that do it all, and that is not what this is. 

But thanks for your insight.

User Stats

Votes
Jacqueline Carrington
  • Investor
  • Corona, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Corona, CA
Replied

If a property owner doesn't compensate a realtor for a referred tenant, the realtor probably has a contract stating the tenant must pay the realtor a finder's fee.

When I was a property manager, my building offered $500 to realtors who brought a tenant who qualified and signed a lease.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Wood
  • Developer
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • New Orleans, LA
Replied

Thanks, that helps.

I have yet to see if this agent has a qualified tenant, or if the tenant will even chose the place.  But I will use this info in the future. 

I definitely would not be interested in anything more than 1/2 a months rent (which would be $438), since all they are doing is bring the tenant.

User Stats

Votes
Robert M.
  • Investor
  • Erie, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Erie, PA
Replied

I am paying a finders fee of $400 ( I asked agent what their fee should be) on a $1300 rental. 

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Mueller
  • Investor/aviation
  • Amherst, OH
Votes |
  • Investor/aviation
  • Amherst, OH
Replied

the person looking for an apartment gets a realtor to find them a place. Thus the prospective tenant is or should be on the hook for compensating the agent unless you solicited the agent for the business. If you wouldn't have found a tenant otherwise sure give em something as a thank you. This is common sense/goodwill.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff B.
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Replied

I fuzzy on your relationship to agents, so I'll create an outline:

you've been a DIY landlord for 7 yrs now.

• agent not working for you
  1. so the tenants go to them and you do the showing and vet the prospects
  2. (suggest the agent is getting fee from the tenants and you own nothing as you still do all the real work).
  • agent has relationship with you
  1. and you pay the agent for a placement, not each application.  The agent does all the work, vets the prospects and you only show and approve/deny the agent's work

In 18yrs, I've never had an agent bring me a prospect and I self manage my 6-units.  Event if they did, I still had to perform my own due diligence - - so I would opt-out of the 'appreciation gift' idea.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Wood
  • Developer
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • New Orleans, LA
Replied

It's a first for me.  

Here's how the process has gone so far.  This agent has a tenant that they are working with to find a rental.  For what ever reason, the prospective tenant has choosen to use an agent.  The agent contacted me and has setup the showing, was upfront about being an agent, and brought the prospective tenant to the showing. That's what has happened to date.

I have not meet the agent before this.

I know from other agents, one month is standard when they lost, show, qualify, etc.

I think if they bring the most qualified tenant, I would be fine with a commission/fee. 

But all things bring equal between propective tenants, I will select the tenant that is not represented.

User Stats

Votes
Franklin Romine
  • Visalia-Fresno, CA
Votes |
  • Visalia-Fresno, CA
Replied

1/2 first month rent and 1/2 move in deposit as compensation for agent delivering you a tenant.

Frank

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Haynes
  • Rocklin, CA
Votes |
  • Rocklin, CA
Replied

I pay finders fees to people that bring me new owners. not people that bring me new tenants. How much action was this property getting was the Real Estate agent even going to be needed if so $250 is more than fair If not I would give $125.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Wood
  • Developer
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • New Orleans, LA
Replied

So this turned out to be a non-issue, as the applicant never submitted an application.  I guess next time (if it ever happens again), I will just advise the agent that we are not interested.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.