Votes
Terry Mccasland
  • Dallas
Votes |
Passing HOA Fees to Renter

Terry Mccasland
  • Dallas
Posted May 2 2017, 18:36

A home I am renting has a home owner association fee of 275 per year.  It's used to cover maintenance of common areas...No pools or parks.  I have included this as a yearly fee that the renter pays.  I guess I could have added it into the rental rate, but I didn't.

Does anyone see any issues with this? 

User Stats

Votes
Joe Gutmann
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Olympia, WA
Replied May 2 2017, 18:44

Most people I have dealt with would rather pay an extra 23$ a month then 275$ at one time, to me it is a cost of doing business and should be factored into the rent.

User Stats

Votes
Christine Kankowski
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temecula, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temecula, CA
Replied May 2 2017, 18:47

Typically the landlord covers that fee directly.  So up the rent a little next time.  IT's better for PR, in my opinion... But as long as tenant agrees, I'm sure its fine.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Terry Mccasland
  • Dallas
Votes |
  • Dallas
Replied May 2 2017, 19:24

Thanks guys, appreciate your input.  

User Stats

Votes
Ron Rohrssen
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Marion, IA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Marion, IA
Replied May 2 2017, 19:25

Agreed with @Joe Gutmann and @Christine Kankowski. I have 2 condos, and I handle the HOA fees myself.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Chandler
  • Investor
  • Mcdonough, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mcdonough, GA
Replied May 2 2017, 19:30

I agree. I price into rent. I want to be the one to pay HOA fees so that I know it gets done. You might find yourself in a mess if the tenants are responsible for it, but don't feel like paying it.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 2 2017, 20:53

I agree with the others. Increase the rent and you personally pay the HOA dues. It's too easy for the tenant to forget or fight back when the time comes to pay.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kim Meredith Hampton
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Replied May 3 2017, 04:52

In Florida if the dues don't get paid the HOA can go after your home, foreclose and take the rent to cover the dues until paid in full. Not a good situation. If the rent is a fair amount and you can get all of your fees covered, that's great, but not always the case

User Stats

Votes
Andrew B.
  • Rockaway, NJ
Votes |
  • Rockaway, NJ
Replied May 3 2017, 08:03

An issue I see with this is what happens if a tenant goes month to month and then leave the month before the fee arrives? Your next tenant will get smacked with it as soon as they move in, or possibly you will get it during a vacancy. The cleanest approach in my opinion would be to increase rent slightly and pay it yourself.

User Stats

Votes
Chinmay J.
  • Investor
  • Northern, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Northern, VA
Replied May 3 2017, 09:16
Originally posted by @Terry Mccasland:

A home I am renting has a home owner association fee of 275 per year.  It's used to cover maintenance of common areas...No pools or parks.  I have included this as a yearly fee that the renter pays.  I guess I could have added it into the rental rate, but I didn't.

Does anyone see any issues with this? 

You can recoup it from your tenant all day long, but make sure you pay them on time yourself. Don't delegate it to the tenant to pay it to the HOA. As a homeowner, ultimately you are on the hook for it.

User Stats

Votes
Terry Mccasland
  • Dallas
Votes |
  • Dallas
Replied May 3 2017, 15:12

I agree with all your input. My original posting did not make it clear that I was going to make the payment to the HOA, not the renter. So, the question I was seeking input on was whether it's inappropriate to ask a renter to pay me for the annual HOA fee, separate from the rent.

I have decided to not pass on the fee, as Kristine mentioned, it's a PR issue and is a potential point of conflict with renters....especially when they don't get any perceived value from it...

User Stats

Votes
Chinmay J.
  • Investor
  • Northern, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Northern, VA
Replied May 4 2017, 07:31
Originally posted by @Terry Mccasland:

I agree with all your input. My original posting did not make it clear that I was going to make the payment to the HOA, not the renter. So, the question I was seeking input on was whether it's inappropriate to ask a renter to pay me for the annual HOA fee, separate from the rent.

I have decided to not pass on the fee, as Kristine mentioned, it's a PR issue and is a potential point of conflict with renters....especially when they don't get any perceived value from it...

Agree with Kristine. At least in my immediate DMV area, the landlord pays it. You should do whatever is prevalent in your area. 

User Stats

Votes
Kiyon Harley
  • Investor/Developer/General Contractor
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
  • Investor/Developer/General Contractor
  • Washington, DC
Replied May 25 2017, 08:12

I agree, increase the rent. From my experience, the renters are typically happier with such slight increases instead of paying a lump fee.