Virginia Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
Account Closed
  • College Park, MD
Votes |
New RE/Business group D.C. Metro Area

Account Closed
  • College Park, MD
Posted Aug 14 2017, 11:56

I am looking into starting a new RE/Business group around the D.C. Metro area. I'm doing some research to see if there is any type of demand for this? I have been to a lot of groups and networking events where people just pitch their ideas/business/deals/etc and they are always such a turn-off. This space would be to just meet high-quality people and have a good time learning new things and share your ideas rather than trying to make a quick buck off of someone else. My goal is to create a comfortable environment were your true self-comes out... not the person that feels they have to impress everyone.

I have some general ideas about its direction:

- Purely Networking and sharing ideas, not a space to pitch at people like some other events

- Relaxed environment

- Free meetings

- Some type of media integration

- The goal is to connect good, high-quality people

- Meet once a month for several hours

- The group would not act as a business as some other RE groups or meetups (no memberships, paid classes, etc)

If this is something you would be interested in and feel that there is a need for this please let me know and give me feedback!

Also, this is just an idea so feel free to criticize it as much as you can! Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Josi Colley
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bluemont, VA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bluemont, VA
Replied Aug 14 2017, 14:29

I'd be interested in this as well. What area are you looking at having it? I'm in Loudoun County. 

User Stats

Votes
Celeste Fackrell
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Manassas, VA
Votes |
  • Manassas, VA
Replied Aug 14 2017, 17:10

I would  be interested also.  I am in Prince William County, in the Woodbridge/Manassas area.

Sam

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777
Account Closed
  • College Park, MD
Votes |
  • College Park, MD
Replied Aug 16 2017, 09:23

Thank you all for the feedback! I'm still gauging to see if there's enough interest to warrant the time setting something like this up and where it would be held. 

User Stats

Votes
Enrique Pisfil
  • Woodbridge, VA
Votes |
  • Woodbridge, VA
Replied Aug 23 2017, 05:07

I would be interested also. I am also in Prince William County, Woodbridge area. 

We could even do meetings in peoples homes? That way we could spend as much time as we want, get to know each other and everyone's neighborhoods. Everyone could bring something to eat/drink, sort of like a potluck. 

Account Closed
  • College Park, MD
Votes |
  • College Park, MD
Replied Aug 23 2017, 13:50

I would definitely be open to that. @Enrique Pisfil

User Stats

Votes
Charan K.
  • Manassas VA / Columbus OH /St. Johns FL
Votes |
  • Manassas VA / Columbus OH /St. Johns FL
Replied Aug 25 2017, 11:35

I would be interested also. I am in Prince William County, in the Yorkshire/Manassas area.

User Stats

Votes
Gregg Hutton
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Forest, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Forest, VA
Replied Aug 25 2017, 12:41

I'm in!! Would love to network and exchange a few ideas.

User Stats

Votes
Ben Baci
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • Alexandria, VA
Replied Sep 24 2017, 15:41

Definitely can commit. Alexandria VA, free evenings on Mon/Wed/Fri. Im willing to drive.

Where do we stand on this so far? 

User Stats

Votes
Leo Gonzalez
Pro Member
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Alexandria, VA
Replied Sep 24 2017, 18:26

I would also like to participate. I'm in the Alexandria area.

User Stats

Votes
Victor Evans
  • Investor
  • Frederick, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Frederick, MD
Replied Sep 24 2017, 19:01

Sign me up.

Account Closed
  • Gaithersburg, MD
Votes |
  • Gaithersburg, MD
Replied Sep 25 2017, 04:04

Following

User Stats

Votes
Tom Gimer
Pro Member
  • DMV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • DMV
Replied Sep 26 2017, 06:17

Niklas -- sounds like a great idea. If you need space at a central location, we just opened up a new office in Georgetown and could host until the group outgrows it.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Kathryn Tooles
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
  • Washington, DC
Replied Sep 27 2017, 03:28

I'm in Prince Georges county and definitely interested in joining something like this!

User Stats

Votes
Wilhelm J. Lieto
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • Alexandria, VA
Replied Oct 11 2017, 06:30

Definitely interested as well. I'm late from when the post was originally shared, what is the status of this? 

User Stats

Votes
Cris Mullen
  • Louisville
Votes |
  • Louisville
Replied Oct 31 2017, 05:52

I'm interested!

User Stats

Votes
Barb F.
  • Northern Virginia
Votes |
  • Northern Virginia
Replied Apr 4 2019, 04:12

Hi, everyone! I followed @Josi Colley to this thread. I'm new and want to get a group going in my area. I can't tell from this thread is anyone ever got something off the ground. 

I'm interested in starting a meetup in eastern Prince William County. I'm thinking of using the Montclair Community Library (5049 Waterway Dr, Montclair, VA 22025) and picking either a Monday or Thursday after work from 7 - 8:30 pm once a month.

Would you be interested in attending this meetup? Please respond here (or on my original post here) and if there's interest (literally just about any interest at all) I will reserve a room and create an event! Will likely post it this weekend, and I'll put the link here too when I do.

If you have thoughts about shifting the time, I could go as early as 6 - 7:30 instead. I'm looking at the week of April 15-19 for a first meeting, but a regular schedule can be worked out at the first meeting or here in the forums. Perhaps alternating Monday and Thursday from month-to-month will help accommodate folks with different schedules? Third month of the week is probably best for me.

Thanks, everyone! Let's make this happen :)

User Stats

Votes
Barb F.
  • Northern Virginia
Votes |
  • Northern Virginia
Replied Apr 4 2019, 04:14

@Account Closed

User Stats

Votes
Barb F.
  • Northern Virginia
Votes |
  • Northern Virginia
Replied Apr 4 2019, 16:28

Okay! Great news. I have meeting rooms requested for the first two meetings! Because of availability at the libraries, they'll be on Mondays for April and May. I'll figure out how to create an event on here too. For now:

Location: Montclair Community Library (5049 Waterway Dr, Montclair, VA 22025)

First meeting: Monday, April 15 from 6:30 - 8:30. We'll be in Group Study Room #4 (last minute availability was very hard!) Beverages are permitted in the group study room but not food.

Second meeting: Monday, May 13 from 6:30 - 8:30. We'll be in the larger Community Room. Both food and beverages are permitted in the Community Room.

As for how we use the time, I think there's benefits to both general socializing as well as a more structured discussion group. Let's plan on this first one being meet & greet, getting to know each other, what our goals are, what our expertise is in, what we're looking to get out of such meetings, etc. Maybe we can plan discussions on a topic for some months, or we can stick to people discussing what's on their plates at the moment and get everyone's input. My main goals for this group are for it to be education-oriented, welcoming to all no matter where they are in their journey, and useful for networking. Let's turn this group into what we need it to be.

User Stats

Votes
Barb F.
  • Northern Virginia
Votes |
  • Northern Virginia
Replied Apr 4 2019, 16:46

CLICK HERE to RSVP for the first meeting on 4/15/19

CLICK HERE to RSVP for the second meeting on 5/13/19