• Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Feedback on Leavenworth & Bonner Springs KS

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Posted Sep 12 2017, 10:12

Hi all

I've been offered some property in Leavenworth, KS and also Bonner Springs, KS - I'm not familiar with the areas. Before I move ahead with due diligence, could those with experience in the area give me some information on it in terms of rental demand, crime, general economy, demographics etc?

These would be buy and hold rentals (predominantly single family - mixture of 2 & 3 bedroom homes) so i'm not looking for the ability to flip or on-sell, really just to hold for rental income longer term.

Many thanks for your help

Rudi 

User Stats

Votes
Austin Fruechting
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Sep 12 2017, 11:12

I'm bullish on Leavenworth (soon to be 154 units in Leavenworth/Lansing). Feel free to pm me.

User Stats

Votes
Christian Salazar
  • Investor
  • Overland Park, KS
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Overland Park, KS
Replied Sep 12 2017, 13:27

LV and bonner both great for growth.  buy and hold strategy would be great here. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Sep 12 2017, 14:54

Thank you all very much for the quick replies.  How difficult is it to find quality tenants (i know they will be low income typically and have some issues but hopefully you know what i mean) and how long are properties vacant typically?

Also, with respect to the city - how is the city on zoning and code violations? in other words, are they out to fine people or is it reasonable?

Lastly, how is the crime rate? I've seen some reports of significant crime and whilst i'm used to investing in higher crime areas, there's crime and there's CRIME :)

Appreciate the help!

User Stats

Votes
Austin Fruechting
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Sep 12 2017, 16:34

@Account Closed - so much of the question about tenants is going to be dependent on the class of property you are buying...

Vacancies - I run about 7-8%

City - if you have a code violation they give you plenty of opportunities to fix. I have never been fined. 

Crime - it's the lower case crime and not bad/dangerous