Please help $41,000 paid to a guru company to be refunded !

459 Replies

Originally posted by @Lance Van Buren :

Debbie just do it instead of saying you are going to do it like you have been doing the last couple days. File a dispute with your CC as of today.

Have you filed with the credit card companys???  Have you asked them to remove the charges from your bill???

@Bill Gulley

I know you did not read the thread but the reason she has the 41k is because the company coached her on how to raise her CC limits then put the 41k on those cards at least a good portion on those cards.. very common approach in the guru game

I'm not sure if this was posted earlier but what was the refund policy. Also, your time needs to be spent searching and talking to a local attorney near you and less with us. We can only give so much advice and ask you to do take so much action but you are spending too much time here and not with an attorney that can help you get a process started or at least give legal advice.

Best of Luck.

i don't know if we realize this but everyone is here but Debbie.

We seem to care more about Debbie then Debbie cares about Debbie.

We want to know what movement Debbie has done aside from being walked around by the  GURU people,  Debbie has to do something other then talking to the GURU company.  Talking to the Guru company is like talking to a Wall.  They gave her  $14,000,  (you can imagine how bad this is if they actually gave her back some money !!!)  now they just want to give her a few thousand more and they want to walk away with over $20,000.  Only Debbie can stop this from happening and she must do that no later then today.  If The credit card company (s) will take the charges off her bill she is almost HOME FREE.  Thats what she has to work on as it is the easiest way to fix this. The credit company will cooperate with Debbie, and it is possible that Debbie will not have the money to pay this credit card bill so it is to the credit ctf complany advntage to tke the charges off her bill, otherwise they will be out the money.     We all hope she gets in touch with the credit card company and they take it off,  as a dispute,  as this is the easiest way, and the quickest way.  and most effective way to get her money back.    This is what we are all hoping for and Debbie has to make this move if she wants to see her money.

BG

I'm just not sure what to make of this whole thread!  Seriously, Debbie, seriously...your best bet is to do what dozens of people have already told you.

File a dispute on all your credit cards for all the charges this company has put on them. 

I am completely baffled, like everyone else, that you have not done this yet.  There is NO reason not to!  No reason.  And you have only a limited time to do it.

Perhaps you have never filed a credit card dispute?  It's really easy.  You can even do it over the phone, though I would suggest both over the phone and then also send an overnighted letter to each credit card company requesting the specific disputes to be placed and why.

The credit card company is actually your friend in this.  You are their customer.  They WANT to help you uphold your disputes, if you can give them any legal reason(s) to do it.

Read your contract.  What did the company legally promise to provide for you for your payment?  What you need to show to the CC companies for the dispute is where Guru BREACHED the agreement.  What did they specifically not provide you with that you paid for.

For example, it sounds like part of what you paid for was to attend a bootcamp, but you could not attend because you were given the wrong address and your urgent messages were unreturned on that day.  Maybe purposefully?  Do you even know that a bootcamp happened at all?  But that is the kind of information you want to include in your dispute letters.  Good luck.

Let me give you simple examples of a credit card dispute.

I let a guy charge $50 to my credit card to mow my lawn on Monday.  He doesn't come on Monday, in fact he never comes at all and never mows my lawn.  I file a dispute with my CC because he did not provide me with the service I paid for.  I win.

Or, I order a 50" Plasma TV online and pay with my credit card.  Instead of the tv, the company delivers a red coffee mug to me.  I file a dispute...because I did not receive what I paid for.  I win.

Obviously your contract will be more complicated than my examples, that is the essence of what will win your dispute.  You paid for something you didn't get.  And you need to be specific about what you were promised in the contract and paid for, but did not get.

@Lance Van Buren @Barbara G. and countless people had chipped in to this thread, wow wow wow!!! you guys really got me tears... what a warm, genuine people you guys are....I am speechless !!

Yes, I called this morning to those 2 CC companies. As the amount is huge, they want me to put everything in writing. I spent whole afternoon collecting all emails/texting messages and ready to sent.

I also called the guru company left message saying I need to speak to them urgently, BUT NOT REPLY as always!

@Jennifer T. The reason why I have hesitated for so long is this guru company agree to pay a further $4,500 if I sign their refund agreement. I am SO WORRY if the  two CC company all fail then they might not even pay this $4,500 as negotiated, I end up getting only $14,500 out of $41,000.

Originally posted by @Jennifer T. :   Debbie, seriously...your best bet is to do what dozens of people have already told you.

File a dispute on all your credit cards for all the charges this company has put on them. 

I am completely baffled, like everyone else, that you have not done this yet.  There is NO reason not to!  No reason.  And you have only a limited time to do it.

Perhaps you have never filed a credit card dispute?  It's really easy.  You can even do it over the phone, though I would suggest both over the phone and then also send an overnighted letter to each credit card company requesting the specific disputes to be placed and why.

The credit card company is actually your friend in this.  You are their customer.  They WANT to help you uphold your disputes, if you can give them any legal reason(s) to do it.

Read your contract.  What did the company legally promise to provide for you for your payment?  What you need to show to the CC companies for the dispute is where Guru BREACHED the agreement.  What did they specifically not provide you with that you paid for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Debbie:  Once again.  After your phone calls, to the CC companies,  have someone help you send a registered letter to the credit card companies.  You are very stressed right now so get somone to help you with the letter to the credit card companies.

Let us know how many credit card companies agreed to take the charges off your credit bills so we know where we have to go from there.

Originally posted by @Anish Tolia :

Talking to the guru company is like trying to negotiate with the thug that just robbed you at gunpoint to get your money back. Its insanity.

Debbie Debbie listen to everyone.  Everyone but you knows these people will do you NO GOOD.   Do yourself a favor and call the credit card companies and get the charges off your bill  Try it.

because it has a good shot at working,

Tell the GURU you want everything, everything Back or you will tell your friends to throw a picket line around every seminar they have.  ou will give out leaflettes to everyone at their door explaining how they have robbed you of $41,000  We will start a petition here in Big Pockets and see if we can get people to go with you.  

BG 

Originally posted by @Debbie Lee :

@Lance Van Buren @Barbara Goodman @Amanda Hoening and countless people had chipped in to this thread, wow wow wow!!! you guys really got me tears... what a warm, genuine people you guys are....I am speechless !!

Yes, I called this morning to those 2 CC companies. As the amount is huge, they want me to put everything in writing. I spent whole afternoon collecting all emails/texting messages and ready to sent.

I also called the guru company left message saying I need to speak to them urgently, BUT NOT REPLY as always!

Dear Debbie,

We are very proud of you. Its hard to write that letter BUT it does not have to be a perfect letter just get  the  best you can letter out to them.  See if you can email them rather then a regular letter.  If they want a regular letter, just email them one copy today and send it by mail also.

Now if there is anyone on this blog that can help Debbie write this letter please get in touch with her now and write out what you think should be included in this letter (s) to the credit card company.  

Debbie Let us know as soon as you get the letters out so we can celebrate.  

bg

Debbie

I forgot to tell you.

Tell the credit card companies that you have absolutly no MONEY.

The GURU just said you would make the $41,000 by doing their 'deals"

They talked you into this over hours

Tell them you have no money to pay this credit card bill and will have to file personal bankrupcy because you do NOT have the $41,000 and have no assests and just a minimun salary.

bg

sounds like a scott yancy from fl;ripping vegas horror story they were here in ny and sucked a few people i know until they spoke to me about what it was they were about to do and i stopped them thank god 

Debbie we need to know how the $41,000 is billed on your credit cards

How much is on credit card #1

How much is on credit card #2

How much is on credit card #3

How did the Guru send you your Money.  Is it a deduction on your credit card or a check??
Thanks

BG

Originally posted by @Barbara Goodman:
Originally posted by @Jennifer Tornus:   Debbie, seriously...your best bet is to do what dozens of people have already told you.

File a dispute on all your credit cards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------have someone help you send a registered letter.   get somrone to help you with the letter to the credit card companies

Tell the credit card company that the GURU company  talked  to you for hours, talking you into getting the new credit card etc.  They kept  telling you how to manipulate the credit card company  to get your card to pay for their "course".

They were more sophisticated then you and took advantage of you.

BG

Debbie, that Is a very expensive education, sounds like one I went to in little rock. they wanted about 35k . Had a great dog and pony show.  They contacted me for months, kept getting cheaper as time went on. Finally took me off their list. I paid $199 for a 2 day seminar. then they wanted me to do that same thing, get the cards to pay for the program.

I watched many people get the backpack that had the program in it. They used high pressure tactics and buy now or lose it deals. I don't know if it worked or not but it sure has been hard to buy houses after they were in town. 

With all that story said. An Attorney consultation might be worth checking out. Nothing else he might give you some advise as what direction to go. 

posted by @Barbara G.

Debbie we need to know how the $41,000 is billed on your credit cards

How much is on credit card #1

How much is on credit card #2

How much is on credit card #3

How did the Guru send you your Money. Is it a deduction on your credit card or a check??
Thanks

I have paid all these below amounts through credit cards

credit card#1  $1,997 ( from my existing card a. ) paid on Jan 28

credit card      $ 4,500 ( from my existing card a. ) paid on Feb 08

credit card #3  $ 10,000 ( from a new opened credit card ) paid on  Feb 25

credit card #4  $9,900 ( from raise credit limit of existing card ) paid on Feb 25

credit card#5  $14,500 ( from a new opened credit card ) paid on Feb 24

total $ 40,897    

Originally posted by @Barbara G. :

Debbie

I forgot to tell you.

Tell the credit card companies that you have absolutly no MONEY.

The GURU just said you would make the $41,000 by doing their 'deals"

They talked you into this over hours

Tell them you have no money to pay this credit card bill and will have to file personal bankrupcy because you do NOT have the $41,000 and have no assests and just a minimun salary.

bg

Wish I could vote on this 10 times, It's exactly what I was thinking

Originally posted by Account Closed:

Pardon the jest, but someone tell me I am having a nightmare right now and am NOT actually reading this thread. 

A 'company' telling you helpfully how to get raised CC limits so you can pay them? Good G-d!

This seems to be the standard practice at all these guru events now, from all the tv flipping guys. very sad

The real truth about flipping is it's hard work. No matter if you get down and get your hands dirty, or if you find good people to do the "down and dirty" (You still have find them, manage them, and retain them) It's still hard work.

As far as business goes, the NUMBER 1 RULE is, never never never let someone lead you around. If you're not getting what you want out of a deal, take your ball and go home.

The "intellectual me" reads Veblen.

The "Down and Dirty" me listens to Frank

Debbie, fight this scumbag with all you've got. Get really mad and go for the groin and the eyes. Even if you don't win, you'll still have your self respect. And your self respect is worth one hell of a lot more than $41,000

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here