Votes
David Ted Hren
Pro Member
Votes |
Managing property for family.

David Ted Hren
Pro Member
Posted Jan 29 2024, 15:42

Hello BP Community, I am new to real estate, ALL things!!!!! I have been studying any books i can get my hands on. listening to podcasts for the previous 10 months. attending local meetups, meat some very knowledgeable individuals. i have been bit by the real estate bug i cant stop talking, asking, listening, all things real estate. have a family member who asked me if i wanted to manage a rental property for them to help me and them. they have been using a property management company, but they want to help me get my feet wet. Blessings for sure! my Question is: should i set my self up a license? Do I Need a license? their property is already established as rental property with an LLC, TPT. Thank you for reading and any advice would be much appreciated!!!

DTH 

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
#1 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • SE Michigan
Replied Jan 29 2024, 17:02

In many (all?) states if you are managing a property owned by someone else for a fee, you need to be a licensed real estate agent. 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Vanderford
  • Property Manager
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jan 29 2024, 17:19

I can confirm that you must be licensed in North Carolina, and as Greg suggests, that is probably the case nationwide. 

Perhaps you can tell your family member that you would love to manage their property, but need to get your license first? You could get the license in under ninety days, and then affiliate with a firm that allows property management. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Jan 30 2024, 09:32

Check your state property management statutes.

User Stats

Votes
David Ted Hren
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 30 2024, 12:04

Ok thank you both!!! I will discuss this with my family. 

User Stats

Votes
Wyatt Wolff
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jan 31 2024, 09:23

I believe you do eventually need a license, but Ill ask my resident expert PM: 

@Lorien Rollins

The One Brokerage Logo

User Stats

Votes
Lorien Rollins
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jan 31 2024, 09:29

@David Ted Hren, welcome!! What state are you located in? Happy to connect!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 1 2024, 07:36
Quote from @David Ted Hren:

Hello BP Community, I am new to real estate, ALL things!!!!! I have been studying any books i can get my hands on. listening to podcasts for the previous 10 months. attending local meetups, meat some very knowledgeable individuals. i have been bit by the real estate bug i cant stop talking, asking, listening, all things real estate. have a family member who asked me if i wanted to manage a rental property for them to help me and them. they have been using a property management company, but they want to help me get my feet wet. Blessings for sure! my Question is: should i set my self up a license? Do I Need a license? their property is already established as rental property with an LLC, TPT. Thank you for reading and any advice would be much appreciated!!!

DTH 

I would be cautious going into business with friends or family. Not worth the risk of ruining the relationship if things go south

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Shepard
Pro Member
  • Cookeville, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cookeville, TN
Replied Feb 6 2024, 04:20

@David Ted Hren

Until you become licensed, can you just draft some kind of "project management" agreement or something to that effect with your client? That way, they are self-managing and you are a service provider for them to handle things. @Greg Scott made excellent point and that should be part of your plan.

User Stats

Votes
David Ted Hren
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 7 2024, 01:57

Thank you all for your advice. I am so grateful for this community. I'm not getting a fee in a monetary aspect. Experience is my only goal and compensations.