• Real Estate Agent
  • New York
Votes |
Finished my first project, what’s next?

Bryce Muller
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York
Posted May 21 2024, 15:55

Background: I have one flip under my belt and when I started, I promised myself I wouldn’t just plateau, I’d go bigger with each project. I did this project from a contractor POV, I did a lot of the work myself. However, I have relationships with people who can do the work better and I am more analytical and geared towards the business side. Also, I have recently became aware of the odds of me being a successful real estate investor are not in my favor. Books like Fooled by Randomness make it apparent that you see a lot of sucessful people on social media, books, etc; not the graveyard full of dead bodies/failed investors. This does not mean I want to quit. I am 24 and have time to learn and give myself the best shot possible. 

My solution: Get into a property admin/management/assistant position adjacent to experienced people I can learn from. I think this is the way to learn the ins and outs of CRE.

My issue: Even with a college degree, entreprenurial experience, and project management I can’t seem to break in after 5-6 months of applying. I find myself casting a wider net outside of real estate because I am underemployed and am scared I will lose sight of my dream. 24/25 feels like the age where dreams go to die. 

The question: Does getting a job in the industry sound like the right idea? Should I just keep my sh*tty job and go for it on my free time? Find a better job anywhere to ease the pain? If you know anyone/is someone who works at a investment or property management firm in NYC, Westchester or East CT please help me get into contact. Not looking for a direct referral or recommendation but open a line of communication so I can express my interest and how I could contribute to their company. I have been looking at large companies like Cushman & Wakefield, CBRE, Colliers, etc. Any advice is appreciated, thank you for reading. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 21 2024, 15:59

@Bryce Muller

Don’t give up. Keep educating yourself while in your current job and also look for some smaller developers if they are looking for help

Unfortunately right now is a bad time to get into commercial as job market has gotten crushed but stay positive and ask consider residential side for now as well vs commercial

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied May 22 2024, 04:24

@Bryce Muller are you randomly applying, or applying with a plan?

What networking are you doing to coordinate with your applications?

You may want to read materials about "networking for a job":)

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.