Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kelly Stanton
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
What is the market sentiment investing in a townhome or duplex?

Kelly Stanton
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Posted Nov 27 2022, 19:03

What is the sentiment around investing in duplexes or townhomes in this market? We've found a number of new developments that have reasonably good prices, but are not feeling all that confident that it will be a good long term investment that will appreciate vs a single family home. Any thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#4 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Nov 28 2022, 05:47

@Kelly Stanton

can you be more specific?

do you own or rent your primary?

would this be your first investment property?

price point(s)? HOA or no HOA? deferred maintenance?

User Stats

Votes
Jacob St. Martin
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlottesville VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlottesville VA
Replied Nov 28 2022, 06:27

I agree with Nicholas, it is hard to say anything concrete without knowing more details. However, I do have a couple general thoughts. First, townhomes tend to come with HOAs that can eat through your cashflow and can sometimes have really restrictive rules for real estate investors. For instance, many of the HOAs in my area do not allow renting to college students (I am in a college town) and do not allow STRs. Additionally, a duplex will likely benefit from a lot more appreciation than a townhome but again I can't say that definitively because we don't have details. 

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 07:14

Depends on the area, you want to make sure the rental demand is strong. Most duplexes in Austin don't even make sense, you barely eliminate your living expenses with one side. I would buy in Austin MSA and try to STR one side

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 08:59

@Kelly Stanton they're very different. I would rather invest in a duplex that I can fix up than a townhome

User Stats

Votes
Ricardo Hidalgo
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Nov 28 2022, 14:00
Quote from @Kelly Stanton:

What is the sentiment around investing in duplexes or townhomes in this market? We've found a number of new developments that have reasonably good prices, but are not feeling all that confident that it will be a good long term investment that will appreciate vs a single family home. Any thoughts?

I love townhomes but I would never make a decision based on property. You have to reflect on the numbers and appreciation with cash flow. Typically duplex offer more leverage if numbers are similar. 

User Stats

Votes
Kelly Stanton
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 19:44

Nicholas,

We currently own a primary residence and this would not be our first investment property. One unit we are looking at is a new townhome in East Austin around $275k-$350k with a $75 HOA.

3BR, 2.5BA - As far as I know the HOA does not prohibit any STRs, but that is something that is definitely worth looking into.

User Stats

Votes
Kelly Stanton
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 19:47
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Depends on the area, you want to make sure the rental demand is strong. Most duplexes in Austin don't even make sense, you barely eliminate your living expenses with one side. I would buy in Austin MSA and try to STR one side

How do you feel about new developments out east by the airport? I've been hearing a lot a new "plans" for Tesla, Boring and potentially SpaceX that could increase rental demand in the area. Could take a while though. 

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 19:51

How do you feel about new developments out east by the airport? I've been hearing a lot a new "plans" for Tesla, Boring and potentially SpaceX that could increase rental demand in the area. Could take a while though. 

You want something that is going to cash flow today, not speculation 

User Stats

Votes
Nate Sanow
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Nov 28 2022, 20:02

Man it might be the opposite. In my market small MFR get gobbled up in 3 seconds. If you think rents are strong and can grow there's the value. Most buyers of multi see the value differently than just typical appreciation… it's based on rent growth.

User Stats

Votes
Kelly Stanton
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 20:25

That's fair. My thoughts are if we could cash flow even a couple hundred dollars in that area, there is exponential potential for rental demand that could drive prices up. My understanding is that the Tesla plant is currently only operating at 1/3 of operating capacity, so many more prospective renters moving to that area soon. 

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 20:27

That's fair. My thoughts are if we could cash flow even a couple hundred dollars in that area, there is exponential potential for rental demand that could drive prices up. My understanding is that the Tesla plant is currently only operating at 1/3 of operating capacity, so many more prospective renters moving to that area soon. 

There are arguments to be made, if demand never comes are you happy with the investment you made? 

User Stats

Votes
Kelly Stanton
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 20:38
Quote from @Nate Sanow:

Man it might be the opposite. In my market small MFR get gobbled up in 3 seconds. If you think rents are strong and can grow there's the value. Most buyers of multi see the value differently than just typical appreciation… it's based on rent growth.

Nate, how are you feeling about rental markets in Tulsa right now? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Gordy
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 29 2022, 07:24

@Kelly Stanton Getting a license to run an STR might be tough in Austin. Some folks do it below the radar but executing a business plan based upon the potential to get a license is highly risky. The money potential is there, though and that is why many folks do it anyways. Run your numbers as a str, mtr and ltr just in case. Duplexes will likely cash flow better than townhomes. There are tricks to the trade that can boost ltr income as well. Is there sufficient and increasing rental demand in East Austin? Most definitely!