Votes
Durrell Lebrun
  • Queens Village, NY
Votes |
Investing in New York

Durrell Lebrun
  • Queens Village, NY
Posted Jun 10 2015, 12:03
Hello bigger pocket members. I've been really eager to get into the real estate investing market. I've listen to podcast, read a lot of things on here and even been to a few seminars out here in New York. Problem is I try to use everything that I learn and I get nowhere. I'm starting to think that everything I learn through this website and others doesn't benefit me in the state of New York. I can't find anyone who's actually doing wholesaling or buying and flipping within the 5 boroughs. This is very discouraging. When I meet others in real estate in general it's like they have no clue about bigger pockets as well. I've tried to see if anyone on bigger pockets have done work in New York City and I can't find 1. Is there a reason for this? I'm trying to get my feet wet in wholesaling at least. I don't have a bough money to jump into buying and flipping. I guess my question is; is it nearly impossible to invest in New York City? Is it easier else where? Cause most of the things I hear on all the podcast I can't do in NY. What am I suppose to do now? I can't just get up and leave New York I have a family I take care of. Someone please help me with some type of information.

User Stats

Votes
Angel Rosado
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
  • Bronx, NY
Replied Jun 10 2015, 12:29

Hi @Durrell Lebrun, you aren't the only one that feels like you are between a rock and a hard place.  I am in the Bronx and will hopefully invest in Buy and hold properties but the prices are surely a huge barrier for entry.

I have had to expand the area that I look at to find homes that I would be interested in, you may want to considering expanding into Northern Jersey or southern CT. I recently signed up for Meetup.com and you may want to consider signing for some REI clubs that might help you network. I don't think its impossible to do what we are looking to do but it surely is easy to make it just another excuse. But let's not let this beat us down!!!! Persistence is what will help you persevere.

There is a BP meetup that @Darren Sager has set up this month which may be a good start.

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Nguyen
  • Investor
  • Annandale, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Annandale, VA
Replied Jun 10 2015, 12:57

Keep looking around the forums @Durrell Lebrun there are a few investors in NYC, @libby tucker has a thread up about NYC and it's pretty good

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Damon Bodine
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York City
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York City
Replied Jun 10 2015, 16:07

@Durrell Lebrun

Its certainly not impossible to get started here.   There are so many deals in NYC its crazy.  I would certainly love to talk with you more but consider a few things.   #1 To be a good wholesaler in NYC you really need to understand the financials and what constitutes a good deal.    #2  Almost all of the good deals in NYC are off market.   #3  there is no substitute in this market for good old fashioned door knocking.   Finding the investors is actually  the easy part here, finding the right deal on the other hand is much much harder.    

User Stats

Votes
Ning Zhu
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • New York City, NY
Replied Jun 10 2015, 16:13
Same feeling here. I am newbie investor and plan to invest in New York City or jersey city, but it is so expensive ...

User Stats

Votes
Chris Rosenberg
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Myrtle Beach, SC
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Myrtle Beach, SC
Replied Jun 11 2015, 10:43

@Angel Rosado

I have been looking in the Bronx for a multifamily. I was interested in Morris Park and maybe Pelham Bay and Country Club. Are you familiar with these areas? What do you think of them?

User Stats

Votes
Mark Nolan
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Carlsbad, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Carlsbad, CA
Replied Jun 12 2015, 00:46

@Durrell Lebrun

Welcome to the BP community. You will find a lot of good information here. Make sure to view the BP blogs under "Learn."

User Stats

Votes
Angel Rosado
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
  • Bronx, NY
Replied Jun 12 2015, 13:10

@Chris Rosenberg 

That's the same strategy I have been looking at.  From those three area Country Cub is by far the most expensive.  Pelham bay has buses. and Morris Park can be hit or miss.  The thing with the Bronx is that it truly varies block by block.  

I have looked on redfin.com and don't see much for under $300k that doesn't need work.  

I will admit I have not done any performance measures or studies, I will tell you there is a meetup club for Bronx investors. Join there.  I'm hopefully going to attend these sessions to get to know other investors that are in the Bronx.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Worth
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied Jun 12 2015, 14:14

@Matthew Saskin

has done well in NYC.

I look at NYC RE but have not found much that met my return goals. I do own one unit in Brooklyn that I bought long ago.  

User Stats

Votes
Jerry Padilla
Lender
#5 Classifieds Contributor
  • Lender
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
Lender
#5 Classifieds Contributor
  • Lender
  • Rochester, NY
Replied Jun 13 2015, 18:00

@Durrell Lebrun

Welcome! Have you purchased a primary? You could maybe start there with a multi-family and an FHA mortgage.

PrimeLending  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bernard Klein
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied Jun 18 2015, 16:26

@Durrell Lebrun Welcome to BP. 

While you won't find many active wholesalers in NYC like you may in other cities, there are definitely flippers. The main thing is that it requires a much bigger buy-in here than other places. However, if you keep searching and going to meet-ups, you will come across people who will clue you in on what you're looking for. There's a BP meet-up in the city in the next week or so too. Check your email for the details.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Faulk
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • New York City, NY
Replied Jun 23 2015, 16:51

I am another New Yorker looking to invest in Buy & Hold here- thanks for the info above!

User Stats

Votes
Manuel Melendez
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
  • Bronx, NY
Replied Aug 10 2015, 00:08
Also in the Bronx. Having the same issue trying to find the right niche. It's hard to understand NYCs market. Maybe we can link up.