Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jane S.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
How to prevent angry tenants destroying my property

Jane S.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Posted Apr 14 2022, 20:02

When I decide not to renew an expiring lease, I have to give the tenants 91 days notice? Thats plenty of time for them to wreck my property causing me a huge loss and heart attack. It’s a 12-month lease. They have many serious violations some of which they rectified others which they are arguing with me about. They have been lying and are devious. I don't know how to prevent them from destroying the premises. They want to stay 2 more years. The lease violations keep accumulating. Although the rent is paid timely. Is there no solution but to lose sleep and get sick over this? I know they hate me but act real friendly and happy to see me. 

User Stats

Votes
Jill F.
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Replied Apr 14 2022, 20:38

You can't control what other people do. Give them notice and get them out. If they criminally damage your property, there's a decent change your insurance will cover the damage. Give 24 hour notice for maintenance or inspections (whatever your state requires). New furnace filters, smoke detector test, search for leaks, tell them whatever. I'd try to pick a time when they are least likely to be able to be home, and get some condition pictures. Then try not to lose sleep. You will get your place back then you'll be able to fix it up and move on.

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Apr 14 2022, 21:51
Quote from @Jane S.:

When I decide not to renew an expiring lease, I have to give the tenants 91 days notice? Thats plenty of time for them to wreck my property causing me a huge loss and heart attack. It’s a 12-month lease. They have many serious violations some of which they rectified others which they are arguing with me about. They have been lying and are devious. I don't know how to prevent them from destroying the premises. They want to stay 2 more years. The lease violations keep accumulating. Although the rent is paid timely. Is there no solution but to lose sleep and get sick over this? I know they hate me but act real friendly and happy to see me. 

@Jill F. has given you some good advice. If you worry what kind of damage your property is going to receive every time you have to change tenants you will have a real short life as a landlord. I haven't had anyone purposely destroy a property but I have had damages in excess of the deposit. You repair and life goes on. Anything ridiculous gets turned in to insurance, and anything criminal - think concrete in toilets or cabinets torn off walls - goes to the police. In the future, make your tenants get and keep rental insurance, and that gives you another avenue for redress. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 15 2022, 03:50
Quote from @Jane S.:

I agree with the others. Just stick with your process and don't worry about things that haven't yet happened. I manage around 400 rentals and have never had a disgruntled tenant destroy a property on the way out the door. I have had a couple knock a hole in the drywall or even kick a hole through a door, but it was less than a few hundred dollars worth of damages. It is extremely rare that they will trash it on the way out the door.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Alex Talcott
  • Attorney
  • Durham, NH
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Durham, NH
Replied Apr 15 2022, 04:31

Landlord-tenant, contract law isn't nationally consistent in what is required or allowed (some principles largely are).

Screening tools may be getting a little better, but behavior is getting worse. 

A culture of consequences is needed.

User Stats

Votes
Billy Smith
  • Shawnee Mission, KS
Votes |
  • Shawnee Mission, KS
Replied Apr 15 2022, 04:47

My very first Tennant caused damage on purpose on the way out still was just dry wall holes easy fix.

I fixed it jumped back in the game, I have the ability to keep things right with connections and myself.

I do require rental insurance that was a good point.

What a rental will need on a regular basis is paint, carpet, minor drywall work.

That can vary with how hard she is rode.

User Stats

Votes
Quincy Lockett
  • South Holland, IL
Votes |
  • South Holland, IL
Replied Apr 15 2022, 12:07

@Jane S.

In 21 years of investing I have never had an argument with a tenant. Even though many tenants have wanted to. I try my best to remain civil in all discourse even when they’re being irrational. I understand your concern, 90 days is a long time to deal with the energy of resentment from tenants (Illinois just increased lease non-renewal from 30 to 60 days). There’s nothing you can do to prevent a mentally compromised person from behaving mentally compromised in your property. But if you’ve maintained professionalism throughout their tenancy, I wouldn’t worry about extreme damage. It’s hasn’t happened to me…..yet.

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Parker
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Apr 15 2022, 12:48

Hey @Jane S. , I agree with the others in this chat. Going ahead with giving them the notice and waiting till they leave. Insurance should cover damage if they so happen to damage it. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 15 2022, 13:24

Hi Jane,

You can't prevent it, all you can do is pull out your checkbook and pay for the repairs and take it out of their security deposit.

Be sure to ascertain between normal wear and tear and actual damage.

Normal wear and tear has been paid for in the rental payments. Damages get billed to the renters security deposit.

Screen more carefully next time.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Dan Onofrio
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Eau Claire, WI
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Eau Claire, WI
Replied Apr 15 2022, 14:13

@Jane S. My sister is dealing with the same thing right now. The police have been to the rental 3+ time in the past two weeks. The whole situation isn't ideal for sure. They talked about letting her stay, but came to the conclusion that the "mental damage" being caused is worth getting rid of the tenant even if it temporarily damages their wallet. 

If you let them stay longer, you run the risk of burning out of rental properties, which would be a shame. Good tenants make the process so easy. Get them out and others in...period

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 15 2022, 15:01
Quote from @Jane S.:

Be grateful you have paying tenants who are damaging you property and not squatters. 

User Stats

Votes
David P.
Votes |
Quote from @Jason Allen:
Quote from @Jane S.:

Be grateful you have paying tenants who are damaging you property and not squatters. 
Ya if anything getting rent is the important part. Just be glad they are paying down your mortgage while your property is appreciating. If they were taking advantage and living for free I be more inclined to have sleepless nights. I have a tenant that broke numerous of rules ten versus five people, living in garage, 2 pitbulls but they are still paying rent and everytime I gone over the property still looks good inside and out. Less than ideal but in this business perfect tenants are like hitting the lotto. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Dymski
Pro Member
#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Apr 16 2022, 14:57

People like this always get what's coming to them.  May not be with you but it happens over time.  They are about to face a hot rental market with tough post-pandemic screening standards and if their prospective landlord is screening properly by reaching out to you, they will get a bad referral and have a tough time finding a place of choice and will be left with crappy locations where owners don't screen and take whatever they can get for residents.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jane S.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Apr 17 2022, 17:06

These are great answers. My screening starts with my rental ad where I don't allow animals which are a huge source of rental destruction. The initial contact requires them to complete the rental application and very few are able to do it, so they self-disqualify. The applicants who can complete the simple application will be invited to view the rental. It’s extremely time-consuming and demanding, but so far has produced class A+++ tenants. The one I’m worried about made the decision to put the junker truck in storage, so he read my mind. I was going to ask him to do that anyway. Now on to his next lease violation which is tracking grease into the house from his “hobby” of motorcycle repair. Yes guys, I understand, I need to let him have his garage full of distressed stuff. The next lease will forbid such use of the garage, yard, house, etc. I saw an apt in a 4plex with a motorcycle in parts in the living room on a nice carpet and no underlayment.

User Stats

Votes
Jane S.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied May 26 2022, 09:47

Thanks all for really helpful info its so easy to stay on right track!

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 29 2022, 23:55

Since taking a picture costs nothing, there's no excuse for not taking 1000 pictures (with date) before a tenant moves in. Its a good idea to let them know it too. Most tenants are really good decent people, but a few psycho's can slip thru the process.  If he truly wrecks the joint, call the police and file a report. Take loads of pics. He won't leave a forwarding address. Once he gets settled, go after him.  If he forwards his mail, Mail a burner phone to the old address and track where it forwards to. Let us know how it turns out.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 30 2022, 00:58

most responses have pretty much covered options you have. if security deposit covers those damages that's your first option or your insurance and if they damage property in bad ways you can take help of the law.

best course of action is get them leave your place sooner the better.

in rentals, you do come across one or two such examples. but you have to deal with it as peacefully n professionally as possible

all the best

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mitton
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied May 31 2022, 15:03

Check out some property management companies. Sounds like these tenants are causing you to much stress!

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jun 1 2022, 05:29

@Jane S.

Take a narrated video WITH the tenants in it when they move in.

Then take another video (without them) when they move out.

Will be impossible for them to realistically challenge any damage claims!

Get enough info at application, so you can take them to small claims court for damages not covered by their security deposit.

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 4 2022, 14:40

I've had tenants do massive destruction, and they weren't even mad at me. They think they\re improving the place. Painting my natural brick fireplace. Painting my birch kitchen cabinets with house paint. A vegetable garden all dead, with 10 extra yards of dirt that had to be removed. Hardwood floors ruined from animal pee. Sigh.

User Stats

Votes
Jane S.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Jun 9 2022, 09:51

If only they would READ THEIR LEASE instead of whining about stuff they want to change. Home ownership is the only way they can do what they want. But of course no lender will underwrite them, which is why I get 5-6 junk mails trying to sell me refi’s or loans.

User Stats

Votes
Jane S.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Jun 16 2022, 09:55

Still waiting to find out if i am legally required to give 90 days notice of not renewing …

She piled trash on the side of the house instead of putting it out for collection

Grrrrrr