Bill introduced to shield unpaid federal workers from Landlords!

181 Replies

Originally posted by @Dante Pirouz :

We should all try to vote for representatives who put workers absolutely first, gov't, military, ex-military or not!! If we promise someone we will pay them, they should get paid!! Just IMO

Didn't the tenants promise they would pay the landlords? 

Shouldn't the tenants have taken reasonable measures like some emergency savings, to ensure that they will be able to keep their promise? 

We should be voting out those representatives that continually want to provide safety nets to those people who allow themselves to fail. Many people need to fail in order to learn how to prosper. And some people will just fail over and over again and they are not of benefit to society.

This post has been removed.

@Michael H.

If you choose to provide leniency in some instances, that is certainly your right. Maybe you have different circumstances being in a smaller city, I don't know. But I don't think expecting grown adults to meet their commitments means a landlord is a jerk. 

Is a tenant a jerk tenant when they file a complaint against me with HUD because I take weeks to repair an air conditioner in one of my Phoenix rentals in July?

MODERATORS NOTE:  Please keep all posts pertinent to the subject matter, and let's keep politics out of it so that we can keep the thread open. Thank you. 

Soon government employment status will be a protected class.

The bill would not forgo tenants responsibility to pay, just not allow landlords and creditors to negatively effect their credit or housing. Many government workers, including myself, are still working. It would be unethical if the governement did not protect these people, as it would be hard for them to find a way to earn money during their time off of their normal 40+ hour work week. You will still get your money much the government opens back up. 

You make an interesting point though, what about you? Perhaps the government will add to the bill that those receiving payment from furloughed employees will not be negatively impacted from their creditors  as well?

The proposed new law would prevent landlords and creditors from from taking action against feds and contractors during the shutdown and for 30 days after.

According to several reliable sources in this thread -- based upon no facts other than the length of prior shutdowns -- this shutdown can't possibly last but a few more days!  

So rest assured, landlords... they have your interests 100% in mind... while they are screwing you.

Originally posted by @Nick Fegley :

The bill would not forgo tenants responsibility to pay, just not allow landlords and creditors to negatively effect their credit or housing. Many government workers, including myself, are still working. It would be unethical if the governement did not protect these people, as it would be hard for them to find a way to earn money during their time off of their normal 40+ hour work week. You will still get your money much the government opens back up. 

You make an interesting point though, what about you? Perhaps the government will add to the bill that those receiving payment from furloughed employees will not be negatively impacted from their creditors  as well?

And perhaps monkeys might fly out of my butt. The government of the several states cares a great deal about the welfare of federal workers, but it cares even more about the welfare of the banks, and none at all about the welfare of landlords. We'll get nothing and like it, and we all know it.

Originally posted by @Tom Gimer :

Soon government employment status will be a protected class.

They are already, they can't be fired. Teachers can't be fired either. That should give you pause . . .

Last I looked, the roads still worked, power is still on, groceries are still available, by the way, what is that we need those highly paid government workers with expensive pension plans for? I've forgotten. Is someone not working I should know about? I don't see any evidence. How are they serving us that is worthy of what we are paying them? Just askin'

No favoritism ever. No one should be singled out as 'special'. No one.

@Mike M. , that is wrong. Federal employees can and have been fired. Teachers can and also have been fired. Having been both, I can speak from experience (not being fired, but doing the firing). There are due processes in place which make it extremely difficult, but it can be done.

Because it is so difficult many choose not to jump through the hoops to do it, so it appears that they can't be fired.

There are all different levels of government employees, doing various essential jobs. Many, like TSA agents, go to work and even when being paid- they are paid barely a living wage. They receive horrible treatment from passengers and supervisors while on the job.

I say this because it will be interesting to see what occurs when these workers receive (what they may consider) a windfall of backpay. Will that be the moment that they pack up the apartment at midnight and go look for greener pastures in housing and/or employment. I often share rides with TSA employees- and the majority are not happy with their current state. Will being institutionally insulated (at least temporarily) from debts be a catalyst for change.

Happily employed federal worker here (waving). I knew getting my job would be stepping in shite, and baby oh baby was I right- but I am on the opposite range. Some guy tried to put me in a bag and drown me like an unwanted puppy last week... crazies!

Originally posted by @Aninze A. :

@Mike M., that is wrong. Federal employees can and have been fired. Teachers can and also have been fired. Having been both, I can speak from experience (not being fired, but doing the firing). There are due processes in place which make it extremely difficult, but it can be done.

Because it is so difficult many choose not to jump through the hoops to do it, so it appears that they can't be fired.

Your Comment: "Because it is so difficult many choose not to jump through the hoops to do"

That is a "difference without a distinction". Thanks for making my point for me.

@Mike M. , sorry, I don't agree. You qualified your statement by saying "they can't be fired". That is simply not true and the difference and the distinction is that many have and ARE fired. 

What I gave you was anecdotal to my own experience (and many other leaders in my agency). There are many many others who take the time to record and take action on poor performers. There are also many that do not. But under no circumstances is there an option to NOT fire federal employees. 

In an effort to not get banned or get this thread closed, I'll digress on the topic.

Originally posted by @Jim K. :

The banks are not going to give a tinker's damn about us when we can't make the mortgage payments when the rent nonpayments start stacking up. We can tell them "federal worker tenants yadda yadda yadda" all day long and they'll still ding our credit.

I very simply don't know anyone who works for the gubmint who isn't working for the gubmint for a steady paycheck and benefits. They wanted all that stability in their lives, they should have saved for a few months of runway just in case their sure thing went away or was suspended temporarily. But we all know they didn't really want stability. They wanted someone to take care of them, like most people do. The right coattails to ride. The right gang to join.

Well Daddy Paycheck's on vacation, now it's time for them to go sell their sorry little skillset to someone else. Will they? Hell, no! There's gubmint-worker mentality to be accounted for. It'll be, "I'm so sorry, but there's a shutdown, and I thought, maybe, until it's over...but...but...I just KNOW I'll get back pay!"

What is this? The federal workers need a helping hand, they get it. The banks need a bailout, they get it. When am I going to get my own damned safety net? Who's going to float the landlords some cash to tide us over when something we don't expect happens in our business enterprises? Are all the voters gonna get together and establish the Landlord Relief Fund?

I'll get a sneer and an earful of shoulda, coulda, woulda if something goes wrong. So will you. You'll get that all day.

But we should cut gubmint workers a break. For God and Country. Because they'd do it for us, right?

I guess my cousin who works high level IT security for NASA just wanted to ride someone's coattails. Got it. I'm glad he and his spontaneous TRIPLETS are going to be struggling in another month if this continues grabbed ahold of some coattails to ride. 

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

I am with @John Underwood   it would be just plain wrong to file eviction. Just like deployed Military  they cannot be foreclosed on.    

In my mind if a landlord cant make it one or two months without the rent coming in then they are just another under capitalized enterprise.. 

And in my mind if a government employee doesn't have two months of rent saved up they are living outside of their means and need a reality check. Military excluded from eviction but an IRS agent or ATF, I won't evicted but there will be late charges and they would be enforced just like if you owed the government money even if you became unemployed.

They may be unemployed and have fallen on hard times but I have a business to run and I'm sorry about your luck. Unemployed government worker is no different than the low paid Sonic employee who can't pay their bills. 

@Cam Jimmy I will add to the cacophony about government workers needing to save a little for contingincies ... I must point out that it's not like this the first time we had a shutdown, so what's the surprise? We have at least one every administration. That's why it's called a "rainy day" fund -- it WILL rain! You KNOW it will rain! Be ready!
Originally posted by @Justin K. :
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

I am with @John Underwood   it would be just plain wrong to file eviction. Just like deployed Military  they cannot be foreclosed on.    

In my mind if a landlord cant make it one or two months without the rent coming in then they are just another under capitalized enterprise.. 

And in my mind if a government employee doesn't have two months of rent saved up they are living outside of their means and need a reality check. Military excluded from eviction but an IRS agent or ATF, I won't evicted but there will be late charges and they would be enforced just like if you owed the government money even if you became unemployed.

They may be unemployed and have fallen on hard times but I have a business to run and I'm sorry about your luck. Unemployed government worker is no different than the low paid Sonic employee who can't pay their bills. 

I guess the flips side is I would expect a landlord to easily be able to go 2 to 5 months without income affecting them.. this is not voluntary none payment or other dead beat tenants  or hud tenants not paying their co pay on purpose..   If a landlord cant go a few months and take care of our country then they are undercapitalized and should not be in the business at all.

so that's counter points  :)   

However in reality that's exactly the situation I bet at least half of landlords if they went 6 to 9 months without rent would have a very tough time not losing their property.. this is what happened the GFC with that crop of undercapitalized landlords they lost their rentals in droves.. I know I personally foreclosed on over 200 landlords and ended up owning their properties..  

and PS my views no doubt are in the vast minority of landlord centric  BP members I fully understand that..  But here I am raising money through donations for my charity aheroshome.org  to GIVE a home away to a deserving first responder.. so I come from a different view point I guess

and believe me when I was the big bad bank these investor landlords thought it was my fault that we lent them the money  LOL. shoe was on the exact opposite foot when it was them under stress.. and me being the big bad lender.. so I get it.. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here