Bill introduced to shield unpaid federal workers from Landlords!

181 Replies

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :
Originally posted by @Justin K.:
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

I am with @John Underwood   it would be just plain wrong to file eviction. Just like deployed Military  they cannot be foreclosed on.    

In my mind if a landlord cant make it one or two months without the rent coming in then they are just another under capitalized enterprise.. 

And in my mind if a government employee doesn't have two months of rent saved up they are living outside of their means and need a reality check. Military excluded from eviction but an IRS agent or ATF, I won't evicted but there will be late charges and they would be enforced just like if you owed the government money even if you became unemployed.

They may be unemployed and have fallen on hard times but I have a business to run and I'm sorry about your luck. Unemployed government worker is no different than the low paid Sonic employee who can't pay their bills. 

I guess the flips side is I would expect a landlord to easily be able to go 2 to 5 months without income affecting them.. this is not voluntary none payment or other dead beat tenants  or hud tenants not paying their co pay on purpose..   If a landlord cant go a few months and take care of our country then they are undercapitalized and should not be in the business at all.

so that's counter points  :)   

However in reality that's exactly the situation I bet at least half of landlords if they went 6 to 9 months without rent would have a very tough time not losing their property.. this is what happened the GFC with that crop of undercapitalized landlords they lost their rentals in droves.. I know I personally foreclosed on over 200 landlords and ended up owning their properties..  

and PS my views no doubt are in the vast minority of landlord centric  BP members I fully understand that..  But here I am raising money through donations for my charity aheroshome.org  to GIVE a home away to a deserving first responder.. so I come from a different view point I guess

and believe me when I was the big bad bank these investor landlords thought it was my fault that we lent them the money  LOL. shoe was on the exact opposite foot when it was them under stress.. and me being the big bad lender.. so I get it.. 

I can go 2+ months easily without rental income. But, I won't......

If they can't make the next months rent because they didn't get their bi-monthly paycheck then that indicates two issues.

1) they can't manage money so I have zero sympathy

2) they probably don't make 3x my rent so they wouldn't have made it past my screening process to start with.

They can go get a 90 day loan from a bank for  supplemental income for the time being but I will get my money with intrest or be removed. Same would happen to me if I didn't get paid so they receive no special privileges just because they work for "the man." 

The same "man" who ironically would bend you over given the opportunity....

Originally posted by @Julia Fair :

I hope your day is as pleasant as you are. 

I sincerely hope you and your cousin and his children weather the storm and do as well as you can in this time of what I believe to be unnecessary privation and need. I hope he does not hesitate to seek any form of alternative employment and aid that he possibly can.

The radical disconnect here in the mentalities is extraordinary, I must say. I wouldn't say it's entertaining. But perhaps it's a chance for all of us to learn from each other. Perhaps this won't be all one big waste, as I fear is most likely, yet another lost and forgotten indicator of how badly this country needs the FIRE movement.

Originally posted by @Justin K. :

I am with @John Underwood   it would be just plain wrong to file eviction. Just like deployed Military  they cannot be foreclosed on.    

In my mind if a landlord cant make it one or two months without the rent coming in then they are just another under capitalized enterprise.. 

And in my mind if a government employee doesn't have two months of rent saved up they are living outside of their means and need a reality check. Military excluded from eviction but an IRS agent or ATF, I won't evicted but there will be late charges and they would be enforced just like if you owed the government money even if you became unemployed.

They may be unemployed and have fallen on hard times but I have a business to run and I'm sorry about your luck. Unemployed government worker is no different than the low paid Sonic employee who can't pay their bills. 

I guess the flips side is I would expect a landlord to easily be able to go 2 to 5 months without income affecting them.. this is not voluntary none payment or other dead beat tenants  or hud tenants not paying their co pay on purpose..   If a landlord cant go a few months and take care of our country then they are undercapitalized and should not be in the business at all.

However in reality that's exactly the situation I bet at least half of landlords if they went 6 to 9 months without rent would have a very tough time not losing their property.. this is what happened the GFC with that crop of undercapitalized landlords they lost their rentals in droves.. I know I personally foreclosed on over 200 landlords and ended up owning their properties..  

and PS my views no doubt are in the vast minority of landlord centric  BP members I fully understand that..  But here I am raising money through donations for my charity aheroshome.org  to GIVE a home away to a deserving first responder.. so I come from a different view point I guess

and believe me when I was the big bad bank these investor landlords thought it was my fault that we lent them the money  LOL. shoe was on the exact opposite foot when it was them under stress.. and me being the big bad lender.. so I get it.. 

If they can't make the next months rent because they didn't get their bi-monthly paycheck then that indicates two issues.

2) they probably don't make 3x my rent so they wouldn't have made it past my screening process to start with.

They can go get a 90 day loan from a bank for  supplemental income for the time being but I will get my money with intrest or be removed. Same would happen to me if I didn't get paid so they receive no special privileges just because they work for "the man." 

Ok for sake of argument.. you have a good paying tenant.. govmit employee.. the only reason they cant pay rent is they are like pretty much 80% of the renter pool in the US living pay check to pay check.. so now you evict them.. that takes the month you don't get paid for.

now they are peeved and maybe the home is not so nice when U get it back.. or you have to do a turn over that cost you 1 to 2k  and maybe your a small time ( not U specifically but just talking about small mom and Pop landlords) and you do the work yourself.. so it takes your time it takes another 30 days to meet your criteria for a new tenant.. so now you basically lost probably 2 months rent at least one since they did not pay.. and you have a potential turn over. and in some areas I can see tenant being vindictive.. and so by being hard nosed and not showing any slack for a national problem  it really costs you money.. when instead let them live there get a note for the back rent get it paid over say the next 12 months and do not have a turn over.. ?   

turnover kills landlords  its just does..  

Ok for sake of argument.. you have a good paying tenant.. govmit employee.. the only reason they cant pay rent is they are like pretty much 80% of the renter pool in the US living pay check to pay check.. so now you evict them.. that takes the month you don't get paid for.

now they are peeved and maybe the home is not so nice when U get it back.. or you have to do a turn over that cost you 1 to 2k  and maybe your a small time ( not U specifically but just talking about small mom and Pop landlords) and you do the work yourself.. so it takes your time it takes another 30 days to meet your criteria for a new tenant.. so now you basically lost probably 2 months rent at least one since they did not pay.. and you have a potential turn over. and in some areas I can see tenant being vindictive.. and so by being hard nosed and not showing any slack for a national problem  it really costs you money.. when instead let them live there get a note for the back rent get it paid over say the next 12 months and do not have a turn over.. ?   

All good points. I didn't say I would evict them immediately but they would be paying the late fees.

Yes turnover kills but I also won't be anyone's bank either.

And it's not a national emergency. It's only an emergency for those non essential,means they really are not needed anyway, employees who take our tax dollars in the form of paychecks.

All good points. I didn't say I would evict them immediately but they would be paying the late fees.

And it's not a national emergency. It's only an emergency for those non essential,means they really are not needed anyway, employees who take our tax dollars in the form of paychecks.

OK good spirited debate and conversation.. maybe congress and trump will get their act together.. this thing is not helping anyone. I think we all can agree on that.. !!! 

OK good spirited debate and conversation.. maybe congress and trump will get their act together.. this thing is not helping anyone. I think we all can agree on that.. !!! 

Let it burn....

A non functioning and bickering government is the best government. They fight each other vs figuring out ways to scew its citizens over.

Originally posted by @Jim K. :

The radical disconnect here in the mentalities is extraordinary, I must say. I wouldn't say it's entertaining. But perhaps it's a chance for all of us to learn from each other. Perhaps this won't be all one big waste, as I fear is most likely, yet another lost and forgotten indicator of how badly this country needs the FIRE movement.

depends on the hat you wear.. you guys that are landlords want to give no purchase to tenants that don't pay.

and us that loan money we got hammered in the GFC and were the bad guy.. so I understand its polarized.. 

if you don't want to miss rent or be under the thumb of a mean ole landlord then go buy a house.. I still cant get over in like your area owning a home in your neighbors is far cheaper than rent.. but yet they rent.

Or if you don't want to be beholding to the bank and those mean ole bankers don't borrow any money pay cash.

Just like my grandfather living through the depression if he could not pay cash he did not buy it..  and they were in your area of the upper mid west.. and the gardens not only did they not go out for fancy 8 dollar meals.. they hunted their food and grew unbelievable veggie gardens every year.. they canned they saved .. we have lost that.. not that I grow my own I don't.. well out our way you know what they grow.. :)

I can COMPLETELY agree with that.

Originally posted by @Thomas S. :

I have had numerous bouts throughout my life when I have been without pay for months. I never expected any one to feel sorry for me and never accepted handouts.

Military, federal worker, sanitary engineer, doctor, electrician, they are all the same to me and I treat them all the same. It makes no defiance why any individual can not pay their bills. I also have bills, I run a business and am not a welfare office. Sure I will cut them a break but it would not be acceptable for them to tell me they have NO rent money for me. They dam well better have something for me if they have money for anything else. What makes it worse is that it is their choice to live pay check to pay check and expect us to undersand and be compasionate. Sorry no compassion for stupidity.

They know they are not getting paid it is their responsibility to find ways to make ends meet. They need to borrow money from friends and family, sell something or find other ways to survive. The problem I see is these people will likely withhold all rent to pay for other less important items because they know they can. I am not stupid.

Yeah, the people that risk their lives for their countrymen are exactly the same as you.  Not to mention there are laws on the books that mandate certain exceptions for military members.

So many people make complete fools of themselves on this board trying to sound like a harda$$ Gordon Gecko clone.  This is almost as bad as the guy that made a whole thread to brag about evicting people on Christmas.

I still cant get over in like your area owning a home in your neighbors is far cheaper than rent.. but yet they rent.

When you try to have THAT conversation with low-income tenants out my way, they often think you're trying to tell them nicely you're kicking them out.  Even one mention of credit repair and they get strange. It goes back to what I am certain of -- the overwhelming motivation of many if not most people is to look for someone to take care of them, the right group to join under the right leader, the right armband to wear and right little book to quote out of.

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Julia Fair :
Originally posted by @Jim K.: @Aninze A.

The banks are not going to give a tinker's damn about us when we can't make the mortgage payments when the rent nonpayments start stacking up. We can tell them "federal worker tenants yadda yadda yadda" all day long and they'll still ding our credit.

I very simply don't know anyone who works for the gubmint who isn't working for the gubmint for a steady paycheck and benefits. They wanted all that stability in their lives, they should have saved for a few months of runway just in case their sure thing went away or was suspended temporarily. But we all know they didn't really want stability. They wanted someone to take care of them, like most people do. The right coattails to ride. The right gang to join.

Well Daddy Paycheck's on vacation, now it's time for them to go sell their sorry little skillset to someone else. Will they? Hell, no! There's gubmint-worker mentality to be accounted for. It'll be, "I'm so sorry, but there's a shutdown, and I thought, maybe, until it's over...but...but...I just KNOW I'll get back pay!"

What is this? The federal workers need a helping hand, they get it. The banks need a bailout, they get it. When am I going to get my own damned safety net? Who's going to float the landlords some cash to tide us over when something we don't expect happens in our business enterprises? Are all the voters gonna get together and establish the Landlord Relief Fund?

I'll get a sneer and an earful of shoulda, coulda, woulda if something goes wrong. So will you. You'll get that all day.

But we should cut gubmint workers a break. For God and Country. Because they'd do it for us, right?

I guess my cousin who works high level IT security for NASA just wanted to ride someone's coattails. Got it. I'm glad he and his spontaneous TRIPLETS are going to be struggling in another month if this continues grabbed ahold of some coattails to ride. 

Your cousin (along will all federal employees) become a security risk if they can't weather a 3 month blip in their income. If this shutdown strains his finances, I'm not sure I want him working for NASA or any other government agency. 

Ben Carson just reported that there is $500,000,000,000 (that's $500 billion) missing from HUD alone. The audit of the Pentagon said they are missing $2.1 Trillion. Somebody is getting that money. We don't need more weak links. I am not suggesting your cousin is taking the money, but people do take money when they are financially stressed and any government employee that is unable to save enough for a rainy day is living beyond his means. (Government employees make more money than the general public.)

They probably shouldn't be your renter either.

I heard that somewhere between 40% to 60% of the population of the USA cant handle a $1000 emergency . Is that because they spend too much, or things are too expensive ? Or they dont get paid enough??

So, does the bill also protect private sector workers who get laid off?  What about those on unemployment.  When did they become a protected class?  That said, I like to try and work with my tenants, however, this bill seems illegal, and quite frankly, grand-standing.  The flip side of the argument can be made, tenants that can't cover missing a paycheck or two don't have sufficient emergency funds. (or their car breaks, or they have a hospital stay....)  Sorry, I hate the mentality that all landlords are well-to do fat cats with nothing but cash fleeced from "the working people".  We are hard working people also.  If they want to solve the issue, then solve the issue, resolve the shutdown, instead of shifting ownership of their problem.

Originally posted by @Krishnan T. :

I heard that somewhere between 40% to 60% of the population of the USA cant handle a $1000 emergency . Is that because they spend too much, or things are too expensive ? Or they dont get paid enough??

I've come to understand this is the wrong time for those who are not in that boat to try to explain the answers to those questions. We're punching people in the face while they're down as we pat ourselves on the back.

Originally posted by @Joseph Walsh :

So, does the bill also protect private sector workers who get laid off?  What about those on unemployment.  When did they become a protected class?  That said, I like to try and work with my tenants, however, this bill seems illegal, and quite frankly, grand-standing.  The flip side of the argument can be made, tenants that can't cover missing a paycheck or two don't have sufficient emergency funds. (or their car breaks, or they have a hospital stay....)  Sorry, I hate the mentality that all landlords are well-to do fat cats with nothing but cash fleeced from "the working people".  We are hard working people also.  If they want to solve the issue, then solve the issue, resolve the shutdown, instead of shifting ownership of their problem.

It's pure political grandstanding and it doesn't have a hope of passing the Senate. I think it's all to get senators on the record voting against such a bill, so that in senatorial campaigns in the future, claims can be made in attack ads that, "Senator So-and-So didn't support relief for federal workers during the shutdown."

And it excites public debate by landlords because the idea makes us furious and less than polite about the ethical questions it brings up and the reminder it offers us that in the eyes of much of society, we're horrible people.

Let it burn....

A non functioning and bickering government is the best government. They fight each other vs figuring out ways to scew its citizens over.

They are screwing citizens. TSA workers, air traffic control, military, FBI, Coast Guard, Border Patrol, weather service - working without pay. These are hardly non essential people. 

Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock :

Let it burn....

They are screwing citizens. TSA workers, air traffic control, military, FBI, Coast Guard, Border Patrol, weather service - working without pay. These are hardly non essential people. 

Food inspectors, aviation inspectors. Im not flying while all the aviation inspectors are at home. Unfortunately I still need to eat.

@Jim K.   Well maybe we just need to take a look at the playbook for Singapore.

80% or more of the population lives in government housing.. that solves the HUD problem

there is ZERO public welfare  .. everyone has insurance.. families take care of families

there are more millionaires there per capata than anywhere in the world by far. 

Your 8 dollars at the Hocker centers buys you a true gourmet meal.  Day workers cross the border by the 100's of thousands daily.  

big melting pot of cultures but since the govmit owns all the housing .. they make sure there is no concentration of race or ethnic cultures.. each building has a ratio as to the entire population of the country.  this keep one class from being beaten down and creating a ghetto situation.

now don't get me wrong there is little INdia  China town.. little Italy its English speaking but drive on the wrong side of the road.. and a Toyota corolla  ill cost you 75 to 100k  and the permit to drive on the roads is 100k for 10 years. 

a 350k Ferrari is over 1 million and you see them everywhere same with Lambo's Mercedes etc. 

but what do they have they have education and extreme work ethic to build and manufacture things we need. 

There are very few landlords.  :)  those are mainly in commercial high rises..   You can still buy a home on Freehold but you will pay multi millions for it.. the condos that are govmit owned sell for 500 to 1 mil.. but somehow 6 million people all have a place to live.. you get out of line and they hang you.. LOL.. so crime is very low.. but between them and the Swiss best armed nation in the world.. and their is conscription.. every citizen has to do time in the armed forces between high school and collage.. etc etc.  now would that be something we like here probably not.. but it seems to work there I sure like visiting there.. feel safer there than any big city in America.. and your dollar goes a long way.

Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock :

Let it burn....

Military & Coast Guard are getting paid. 

TSA workers are unnecessary for a job that 97% of the time when tested, unlawful materials get through screening. The Top Brass at the FBI, Comey included,  have proven to be working against the American people. Why should they get paid or even be in government? 27 FIRED at the Top of the FBI and DOJ. Now, the guy who cleans the bathrooms at the Grand Canyon, I do feel sorry for. He needs to get paid!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here