Bill introduced to shield unpaid federal workers from Landlords!

181 Replies

Hmm, Singapore...that's where if you spray paint graffiti on a car they have a martial artist dip a cane in ink and beat you so hard with it it leaves a tattoo, right?

Originally posted by @Jim K. :

Hmm, Singapore...that's where if you spray paint graffiti on a car they have a martial artist dip a cane in ink and beat you so hard with it it leaves a tattoo, right?

and they hang you for drug offenses DEALING   ..  so no worry about filling the prison with drug Dealers.. 

?Google Marina Bay Sands hotel there.. we stayed there last trip.. its over the top.. the infinity pool is 60 stories in the air. 

they have a Grand prix race there too.. 

@Jay Hinrichs

As I remember from the 1/2 Master's degree I have in Maritime Economics (when I was in Greece, I did the work, someone else has the degree), Singapore's location in the Straits of Malacca has something to do with all that public wealth, doesn't it? It has the second-largest container port in the world. Lots of traffic coming through there.

A population of 5.6 million and all those shipping dues, yeah, that's a heck of a national wealth advantage there that the USA doesn't have.

Would this same bill shield unpaid federal workers from paying their mortgage , their car payment , their credit cards ?   I doubt it .  

As far as having a paycheck , I have been self employed since 22 years old , NEVER missed a payment EVER . And I have never known what I was going to make week to week , I just hustled and made money . 

In a different post I was giving a coast guard tenant leeway . He is in the service . Now would I give the same leeway to a contractor working for the government ?  probably not , they have a job , working for a contractor , that contractor should have reserves to pay employees . 

You guys. I apologize of someone else posted this earlier but...THIS IS A PROBLEM. I look at it this way. Everyday the gov't is shutdown it adds 1% greater chance that will create a drastic shift in our economy! The US government is our largest employer. This is going to effect us all. It will be the memberships people canx or default on. 

I'm very uncomfortable in our position as an American let alone an investor. This may be a great wealth grab.  I'm very spooked.

@Meghan McCallum there was a good “Marketplace” segment this evening on the “unknown, unknown” and what the snowball effect will be as this starts impacting the private sector. It is a reasoned analysis, not hyperbolic. 

We may need the private sector to get involved to move this to a resolution.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stltoday.com/business/local/fiat-chrysler-ceo-says-shutdown-could-delay-launch-of-its/article_4e13bdd4-a689-5151-a993-e2a48e164948.amp.html

@Cam Jimmy

I am military, and have been through several shut-downs in my 18-year career. It sucks that POS politicians get to hold paychecks hostage to serve their political agenda. AND this is not a new thing....I learned to always have a large savings account by the time I was 20. I would never expect to NOT pay my bills during one of these shutdowns.

That being said, I wouldn’t evict one of these people. BUT I would be proactive about letting them know that I expect to be paid the day they get paid. I would make it very clear that I will start eviction proceedings the day after they are paid if I am not immediately contacted. If they have a history of late payments or poor financial planning, I would work with them to set-up an auto payroll deduction NOW.

But I don’t want the government telling me how to run my business either. Not all landlords are in the position to float their mortgages until tenants get paid. So, overall, this bill really angers me - more than the shutdown does!

@Thomas S. Just curious if they didnt have money for you what would you do? Start an eviction process? How long would that take?

This post has been removed.

not getting paid for a few months..... welcome to a real estate agents world. 

Good, I would be ashamed to stiff an employee or vendor. Our government is a total embarrassment for doing this to hard working people. No worker should ever be put through this, we are not a leading nation when this type of thing is occurring. Its shameful. 

Originally posted by @Aninze A. : @Jim K. @Tim Gordon

@Mike M., that is wrong. Federal employees can and have been fired. Teachers can and also have been fired. Having been both, I can speak from experience (not being fired, but doing the firing). There are due processes in place which make it extremely difficult, but it can be done.

Because it is so difficult many choose not to jump through the hoops to do it, so it appears that they can't be fired.

It appears we are in for a loooonngggg shutdown. Here is an Opinion piece by someone in the know: So, Plan for your tenants on missing rent.

It can be found at the Daily Caller.

"I’m A Senior Trump Official, And I Hope A Long Shutdown Smokes Out The Resistance"

As one of the senior officials working without a paycheck, a few words of advice for the president’s next move at shuttered government agencies: lock the doors, sell the furniture, and cut them down.

Federal employees are starting to feel the strain of the shutdown. I am one of them. But for the sake of our nation, I hope it lasts a very long time, till the government is changed and can never return to its previous form.

On an average day, roughly 15 percent of the employees around me are exceptional patriots serving their country. I wish I could give competitive salaries to them and no one else. But 80 percent feel no pressure to produce results. If they don’t feel like doing what they are told, they don’t.

Why would they? We can’t fire them. They avoid attention, plan their weekend, schedule vacation, their second job, their next position — some do this in the same position for more than a decade.

They do nothing that warrants punishment and nothing of external value. That is their workday: errands for the sake of errands — administering, refining, following and collaborating on process. “Process is your friend” is what delusional civil servants tell themselves. Even senior officials must gain approval from every rank across their department, other agencies and work units for basic administrative chores.

Process is what we serve, process keeps us safe, process is our core value. It takes a lot of people to maintain the process. Process provides jobs. In fact, there are process experts and certified process managers who protect the process. Then there are the 5 percent with moxie (career managers). At any given time they can change, clarify or add to the process — even to distort or block policy counsel for the president.

Saboteurs peddling opinion as research, tasking their staff on pet projects or pitching wasteful grants to their friends. Most of my career colleagues actively work against the president’s agenda. This means I typically spend about 15 percent of my time on the president’s agenda and 85 percent of my time trying to stop sabotage, and we have no power to get rid of them. Until the shutdown.

Due to the lack of funding, many federal agencies are now operating more effectively from the top down on a fraction of their workforce, with only select essential personnel serving national security tasks.

Originally posted by @Meghan McCallum :

You guys. I apologize of someone else posted this earlier but...THIS IS A PROBLEM. I look at it this way. Everyday the gov't is shutdown it adds 1% greater chance that will create a drastic shift in our economy! The US government is our largest employer. This is going to effect us all. It will be the memberships people canx or default on. 

I'm very uncomfortable in our position as an American let alone an investor. This may be a great wealth grab.  I'm very spooked.

If the "US government is our largest employer" as you say, then the Republic is lost already. You SHOULD be "spooked" you've been swayed to think this is natural. It isn't natural. 

Well. Looks like this might make becoming a federal employee less attractive. Who wants to rent to a federal employee with such laws?

If this one passed then here's the next one:

"When choosing tenants, the federal government has the right to override a choice that disadvantages a potential tenant, who works for the government"

Slippery slope laws

@Thomas S. Amen awesome answer. They're not above anyone else so treat them the same. You should always have enough saved up to be able to go 6 months without a regular income. They can also go work a minimum wage job if they have to or do something online.

@Cam Jimmy This is a very temporary situation therefore I would give my federal government employed tenants a very temporary pass.

@Cam Jimmy I don’t think it’d be right to evict a federal worker. It’s not their fault the govt is on a shut down... many of them are still working and doing their job during the shut down... and as you’ve seen others state before they usually get back pay once the shut down stops. And it certainly helps compassionate landlords to comply with fair housing laws.

It’s probably better that the bill passes in the case that someone would have kicked them to the curb.

After reading all the posts it's clear to see the two sides.  The great thing about living in this country is that each side has the freedom to do what each side wishes with their property.  I can empathize with the government workers and I certainly can see the lease is a contract POV.  So everyone just do what you feel is right, and don't judge others for what they feel is right.  There is NO right answer, the only right answer is to each of us individually. 

@Dennis M. Big difference in my view also bank still will foreclosure my property if mortgage not paid

I have not read all the responses and I do not have a federal worker as a tenant but I have one question.

Is there a bill to help landlords delay on mortgage payments if they show evidence that they have a federally employed tenant? At least it's not the landlord's fault too

This post is very entertaining 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here