Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Alexander
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
How can I check on properties from long distance?

Brandon Alexander
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Feb 16 2020, 13:49

I'm a long distance real estate investor living in California and investing in FL and TN. I wish I could check in on my properties and other prospective properties quickly and easily, but that would require a 3 hour flight and several hundred dollars. I wish I could send a scout to check out the properties and send me photo updates. Does anything like this exist?

In a dream world, here’s how I envision it would work:

1. You provide the address of a property you’d like to scout.
2.  Exterior photos & video of the property are delivered to your phone within 24 hrs.
3. You get the ability to inspect and analyze the property without any travel.

Would anyone else find this valuable?  What pain points do you have with long distance investing? Thanks and I appreciate your feedback!

Brandon

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Jackson
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Feb 17 2020, 14:00

Hey Brandon!  Thanks for trying it out. I did see the emails tests come through!  👌. The customers I build the form for can have the wording say whatever they want. This one just so happens to request it every other week because it’s a vacation rental here in Florida. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Grenzig
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Feb 17 2020, 14:01
Originally posted by @Brandon Alexander:

@Chris Grenzig Love this idea Chris! Thanks for sharing. What would you do if there's currently a tenant in the property? I just don't want to disturb my tenants if there's something walking around taking pics.  I wonder what others have done in this situation ... or maybe they just wait until there is tenant turnover.

I'm going to start calling some realtors in my Tampa market to gauge interest on an exterior inspection every 6 months or so. Thanks!

Tough to do with a tenant in there, with our larger properties we do preventative maintenance every 6 months or so where our leasing team and maintenance team walk every unit and take care of any small problems they see. You could try and work that into the lease if necessary or phrase it as that, just hey I'm doing 6 month preventative maintenance so that way if there's any issues with anything we can fix it now before the leak becomes a burst pipe on a Sunday at 3 AM. And you can use that opportunity to see if the tenant is a quality tenant and also ask them about any problems they are experiencing. Might have to do photos and not video, and just take it of all the mechanicals and problems.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Green
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Feb 17 2020, 14:11
Hello Brandon, I am a licensed realtor in Florida and is willing to assist you in checking on properties for you.
Originally posted by @Brandon Alexander:

@Edlira Clevenger I'm currently invested in the Tampa market. Do you ever get over to Tampa or know any agents there that would be willing to check on properties if I compensating them for their time?  Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Feb 17 2020, 15:19

I don't agree that it's tough to do. La dlords are allowed to inspect, tenants are obligated to allow access with proper notice. Try to give at least three days notice and accommodate the Tenant's schedule. But if the tenant is resistant, tell them they have to permit the inspection as long as you have provided proper notice.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Corine Rosado
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Feb 17 2020, 19:03

@Bjorn Ahlblad. Hey Bjorn where are you finding properties within an hour of Shelton? I’m in Seattle and can’t find anything within 2 hours

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Feb 17 2020, 19:26

@Corine Rosado I have an apartment building in Aberdeen and duplexes in Tumwater; bought in 2015. I'm not finding any deals now either. There was a 40 unit that just got gobbled up in Aberdeen it was a 4 caprate-San Fransico prices! People are paying anything!

User Stats

Votes
Craig Jeppesen
  • Chubbuck, ID
Votes |
  • Chubbuck, ID
Replied Feb 17 2020, 20:28

This is exactly why I only invest locally. I can’t imagine not being able to check up or just drive by the property just to check it out. 

User Stats

Votes
Michele Patterson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Feb 17 2020, 21:20

@Brandon Alexander  Hey Brandon, I may be able to assist you with your ideal situation. Please reach out to me and let's discuss it. You can email me your best contact info. 

HomeSmart Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Feb 18 2020, 09:42

@Scott Egbert thanks for the vote Scott! We are long overdue for a coffee!

User Stats

Votes
Kenny Dahill
  • Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Replied Feb 18 2020, 13:46

@Brandon Alexander, great question!  Yes, you can hire a local independent contractor to do essentially whatever you want to pay them for.  An exterior inspection should be easy to achieve.

It is possible to manage long-distance.  Having a local presence for inspections and leasing are essential.

User Stats

Votes
Mya Toohey
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Florida
Replied Feb 18 2020, 20:02

@Brandon Alexander

Hi Brandon, I am a Realtor and Investor/property manager in Tampa.  Saw your post.  Thought I should reach out to you!