J. Martin
Pro Member
#1 Real Estate Events & Meetups Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Posted Apr 15 2014, 22:53
This event is brought to you by:

182 Replies

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

Report Event

Please come welcome our special guests,
Bigger Pockets Founder & CEO @Joshua Dorkin and
Senior Editor & Community Director @Brandon Turner
f
or a fun night of BP Real Estate networking at this special SF meetup!The venue can fit over 100 guests, and everyone is welcome, so come say hello to your fellow BP members and RE investors, along with two key people who make this community happen!

What: BP Bay Area Master Meetup - SF
When: Friday, April 25, 2014, 5:30PM-9:00PM; Late night 9:05PM - ?
Where: Speakeasy Brewery (Brewhouse room)
1195 Evans Ave, San Francisco, CA 94124
Cesar Chavez exit off of 280 in SE corner of SF
Cost: Free; Bring cash for food and drink
Parking: Free in parking lot at venue, and free street parking for overflow
Food & Drink: Lots of Speakeasy Beers, and Mexican Food

Please RSVP by posting below, so I know how many are coming, and post a little about yourself below, tag others, etc, so you can make some connections before the meetup. I am scheduling this meetup in place of the monthly “East Bay Meetup” so we can have a venue where more BP members can join us, and we can hear each other better.

After 9PM, remaining after-hours folks will most likely be moving a few-minute drive away to Dogpatch Saloon, at 2496 3rd St, SF, 94107. Please check back on this posting the night before the meetup in case there are any unexpected changes.. but the meetup will be on! Thanks to Josh and Brandon for organizing the great community, and coming to say hello at the meetup! Also, special thanks to @Jaren Barnes for initiating our guests’ visit to the monthly BP meetup!

Hope to see lots of you there!
Best,
J Martin

User Stats

Votes
Johnson H.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 10:12
Originally posted by @J. Martin:
Thank you EVERYONE for coming out to last night’s meetup! Just like Josh Dorkin was saying about Bigger Pockets, these meetups work because of all the great people who come together! It was a pleasure meeting many of you for the first time, and seeing many more of you once again. It looked like there were over 100 investors there throughout the evening. I first saw @Troy Fisher around 5PM, and dropped off Brandon Turner around 3AM, with a lot of great conversations and ideas in between. And while this was a great networking event, it’s time to take it to the next level!!

In the absence of any announcements from BP about a big meetup this year, I plan to organize a LEFT COAST RE INVESTOR MEETUP (not BP) – I’m thinking October of this year, when the weather is extra nice in San Francisco. It will be a great opportunity to make investor connections and get funding, expand your network of real estate investors and connections, get great information, ideas, and strategies, and enjoy a great time with fun people in a place you should be coming to anyway! I would like to invite @Joshua Dorkin , @Brandon Turner , and any other BP celebs to come out (or better yet, sponsor or take over the event so you can build/solidy the left coast BP community and get more Pro members!)

It would probably be on the weekend (2 days?) – and have opportunities for individual networking, networking for just those who are looking for investors or have funding to provide, speakers on key areas like out-of-state investing, syndications/large multifamily, lease/purchase options, wholesaling, individual strategies, market updates, recent step-by-step successful deals closed (with practical strategies), getting from analysis to first deal closed, and additional informal networking opportunities in the evening at great places around the city.

This is still in the concept/early planning stage, but I plan on doing it on one scale or another, come hell or high water! If you are interested in coming, helping out with planning, sponsoring, or potentially speaking at this event, please email me! [email protected]

Thinking big J, I like it! I had a great time at the last BP summit, some great quality speakers there. Looking forward to your west coast meetup. Hopefully, it will be a weekend I'll be in town!

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 10:15

@Alan Malicse , glad you could make it out after all.

@Johnson H. and @Account Closed , always a pleasure seeing you two, and thanks for helping out as the point of contact for some of our “group” discussions. I'm interested in hearing about your level of interest in my proposal above for the Left Coast Investor Meetup above.

I think it would be fun, and a great networking event!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 10:18

@Denise Madrid glad to hear your current project is progressing along with the tenant.. always a pleasure seeing you at the meetups, and send me our pic too! (if I look good lol). Sorry we didn't get to speak more, and I just @Chris Music in passing.. will be smaller next time! Then bigger in October for a huge meetup! (look above, and let me know your interest!)

@John Patrick Lantin , nice meeting you, and I’ll keep in touch about future meetups..

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 10:19

@Jaren Barnes , thanks again for connecting Josh and Brandon, and congrats on your BP blog and feature in the recent BP newsletter. Interested to hear more about what you and @Brandon Lee are up to with the development deals! It sounds like both you and @Peter K. . are planning on setting up meetups in the South Bay (there is definitely demand!) – so you two may want to coordinate. There’s plenty of room for all! Lots of interested people will be on the posting from my prior meetups in Oakland and Fremont, this one, on Johnson H’s SF meetup, and Minh knows the rest of them..

I also want to talk to you guys about my planned "Left Coast Investor Meetup" later this year! (see my first posting above) Let me know what you think, and what kind of involvement you may like to have.. There will be exposure opportunities to those that take key roles, of course..!~

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 10:21

@Pete Tam , glad to talk to you in person for a bit.. but too brief! More next time!

@Yuliany W. and hubby, good to see you again, and hopefully I can chat more with you next time.

@Eleanor V. , good to see you again, and we’ll have a smaller meetup next time.. but hope you made some great connections!

@Lina Zhang and @Zeng – nice to meet both of you, and I hope you were able to have a lot of great conversations with our other local investors. I'll be in touch for the next one!

Everyone please let me know if you're interested in attending the "Left Coast Investor Meetup" I'm planning for later this year! (see my first posting above). Should be fun, informative, and actionable!

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 10:23

@Amit M. , after closing down Speakeasy at 9, we went to Dogpatch Saloon, and they threw us out just after 2AM – so we hung around on the corner and chatted for a while after that, until it got too cold.. After dropping off Brandon Turner, I think I got home across the bridge at about 3:30AM. Glad these meetups can give you, @Anna Ng , @Kathryn M. , @Account Closed , and the rest of the SF folks together..

Again, just be careful using the “a” word (appreciation) on BP! lol But I'm with you!

Everyone please let me know if you're interested in attending the"Left Coast Investor Meetup" I'm planning for later this year! (see my first posting above). Should be fun, informative, and actionable! Maybe we'll even have an SF presentation too..!

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 10:25

@Kathleen L. , it was a pleasure seeing your bright smile and radiant energy at the meetup, and chatting with you for a bit.. hopefully I’ll be seeing you soon in San Raphael or Marin! Email me when you schedule one! [email protected]

@Kyle Zaylor , I just got to see you for a second, and got a tip that I love already for the tiny houses! This is the blog you were talking about, right? http://tinyhouseblog.com/
My mind is turning already.. Do you know any local companies/people who are building and delivering these? I love it!

Please let me know if you're both interested in attending the"Left Coast Investor Meetup" I'm planning for later this year! (see my first posting above). Should be fun, informative, and actionable!

User Stats

Votes
Jaren Barnes
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Chicagoland
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Chicagoland
Replied Apr 27 2014, 10:27

@Peter K. When you see this, let's talk id love to work together to set this up.

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 10:38

@Erik K. and Elizabeth, thanks for coming out, and nice pic with Brandon and Josh! Thanks for the tip on private money too Erik. Don’t need some immediately, but good to have on hand when it pops up. I’ll be taking a look.. I’ll be in touch on future meetups..

@Brian Burke and @Nick Fitzpatrick , thanks for coming down from Santa Rosa, and sorry I couldn’t spend more time picking your brains at this meeting. Congrats on the recent purchases Nick! Brian, I'm sure you're still busy too, and I'll be in touch next time I'm in Santa Rosa. Sorry we didn't see @Adam Menconi this time, but I'm still working on implementing his advice in my own life..

Please let me know if all of you can make it out to my planned Left Coast Investor Meetup, in my first posting on pg 8, above. Also, if anyone would like to get more involved in the process.. Let me know either way!

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 10:40

@Chong Lim , welcome to the group! Make sure we are colleagues, and I will email you about the next meetup, so you can come up to Oakland from Fremont.

@Haim Mamane Palman , nice meeting you, and sounds like things are going well. Stay busy! I will too!

@Dee Cross welcome to the group, and I’ll keep you in the loop for our next meetups.

I have my monthly meetup in Oakland, and am planning a large meetup with more formal speakers (see my first posting on pg 8 regarding the "Left Coast Investor Meetup", and some practical advice from getting a first deal closed, to exploring new strategies, and ways to improve.. so let me know if you're interested!

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 10:47

@Kevin Young , sorry I didn't hook up with you at the meetup. It was a whirlwind, but I'll definitely make a point of it next time! I got your email regarding your handyman.. I can definitely save you some money on quick fixes with my handyman nearby in Richmond! I'll be in touch over email with more details on the scope of what I've had him do, and can introduce you two personally some time if you'd like.

I'm on the fence on this Oakland property, so we'll see if it pencils out.. But happy to share my handyman when he is available, either way. I'll be in touch for future meetups too, and let me know your interest in the Left Coast RE Investor Meetup posting on pg 8 (my first one on that page). Talk to you soon!

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 10:53

@Joan C. , glad you could make it out! And welcome to the group!

@Ralph E. , it's always a pleasure having your positive energy and smiles at our meetups, and I’ll catch up with you more next time. Thanks for the kind words!

@Al Vo , @Benjamin S. thanks again for coming out, and come grab me next time to chat more! I'll be in touch for future monthly meetups,

and everyone check out my first posting on Page 8 about a big Left Coast Investor Meetup. Should be a great time!

I'll probably do some more posts later, and I know there's many more of you that I met or saw again here.. but it's still a bit early for me for the weekend!

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Karen Margrave
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
Votes |
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
ModeratorReplied Apr 27 2014, 10:54

@J. Martin Sounds like it was a great meetup! I've been looking forward to seeing how it went.

Your idea of a left coast gathering is a great one. I have been thinking recently about more regional 'mini summits' myself, as I get questions frequently about when BP will have another summit. It seems smaller meetings bringing regional markets together would be a good idea, makes it more manageable. I know there would be a lot of interest for southern California too.

Anyway, congrats on your successful meeting! Keep us posted on the deals that come about from it!

and the pics that @Brandon Turner posted are great. It gives us a real feel for the make up of BP, over and above the profile pics! Looks like a lot of fun was had by all.

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 11:46

@Karen Margrave ,

I think there is definitely a lot of interest, but after speaking with Josh and Brandon the other night, I don't get the sense that it's coming from that end. So I'm planning it now. I'll tag you in the post, to be coming shortly..

Also, I'm hosting a meetup in Malibu, if you'r interested in making a nice drive up the coast.. A few people in so far, and lots of maybes.. I realized later that I scheduled it on Mother's Day (oops!), but I'll be there anyway.. Please tag anyone you know on that posting who might be interested..

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/125084-malibu-meetup-week-of-sun-5-11-5-15-whos-in

User Stats

Votes
Thad Miller
Pro Member
  • Engineer
  • Santa Ynez, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Engineer
  • Santa Ynez, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 12:02

@J. Martin Karen and I enjoyed meeting the SF investors and the BP duo BT and JD. We plan to cruz down to the Bu, this time im my Mustang convertible, no windows to break. I'll jump over to the Malibu post and leave a msg.

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Hoang
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 12:57

bummed I missed this! Was in the city for two interviews Friday and thought the meet up was Saturday. On the up side, looks like I'll be moving here soon!

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 13:21

@Tommy Hoang , welcome to the area! Sorry you missed it!

@Thad

@Thad Miller undefined, just a reminder - it's mother's day on the day of my malibu meetup, but glad you can make it! (if so, still) Enjoy the ride in the convertible!

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 13:23

MASSIVE RE INVESTOR MEETUP IN SF BAY IN OCTOBER

Here it is folks! Please post your interest on the link below!

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/126194-massive-re-investor-summit--sf-bay-area-oct-2014?page=1#p829989

User Stats

Votes
Karen Margrave
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
Votes |
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
ModeratorReplied Apr 27 2014, 13:56

J. Martin

I know they would be very popular as there's always interest in a summit, but doing a full blown summit isn't in the works that I know of, so this may be a good way to go. I know each of our areas have a large number of members that would support such events.

I will let those in southern California know about your event. Though, we may want to do one down here too.

I like what you're doing and your enthusiasm!

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Zaylor
  • Developer
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Portland, OR
Replied Apr 27 2014, 16:39

@J. Martin Great to see you too. Impressive how the meetups keep on growing!

Here's the blog I was thinking about: http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/ The founder is actually up in Napa.

Count me in for Oct.

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 27 2014, 16:44

Thank you for correcting me on the URL @Kyle Zaylor !, I'm really interested in this in a lot of ways for the future.. Also, do you mind posting on the link for the October Massive Summit so I can keep track of everyone on there.. Thanks Kyle!

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/126194-massive-re-investor-summit--sf-bay-area-oct-2014?page=1#p830027

User Stats

Votes
Troy Fisher
  • Specialist
  • Kirkland, WA
Votes |
  • Specialist
  • Kirkland, WA
Replied Apr 28 2014, 08:25

It was a long night that's for sure! But it was kicking! We met so many new people and had a ton of fun. All the regular crew. And so many new faces and connections. Great going again J!

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Music
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Replied Apr 28 2014, 21:34

Thanks J for organizing this event, great turn out! it was awesome to meet @Joshua Dorkin and @Brandon Turner ! Much love for all that you guys do from Proud Start, LLC.

@Denise Madrid

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Apr 29 2014, 13:16

Just realized I posted this in the old posting :)

That was such a great event! My first so far and look forward to many more.

Thanks again, @J Martin for inviting me. Great chatting with@Johnson H. , @Claire, and @Yu Lam, and I really enjoyed meeting with @Amit M. and learned LOTS in just a few minutes chat with him. I'm hoping to see more of you guys. Maybe we should have another SF meet up soon. Hahaha.. that's how hungry and thirsty I am of all your knowledge!

User Stats

Votes
J. Martin
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 29 2014, 22:12

I saw that @Account Closed . No worries! Glad you enjoyed it so much! And there will be plenty more!! To show you my commitment to this, I bought the www.REmeetup.com URL the other night and put up a "placeholder"-ish website for the RE Summit I'm holding later this year. (looks weird on some browsers - new site coming..) Will still have monthly meetups too though! Here's the BP posting for the big summit.

Hope everyone from our meetup can make it there too!!

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/126194-massive-re-investor-summit--sf-bay-area-oct-2014?page=5